cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-touch on Moment - Why not?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Multi-touch on Moment - Why not?

Has anybody been successful in multi-touch on the moment? I used to have ImagineTouch for viewing pictures with multi-touch, but at 1.6 it stopped working and I also can't use Dolphin which seems to support it without rooting. It wasn't 100% before when it did work, but it was really good that tells me the screen and the processor can support it, and it must only be an OS Implementation. Screen/Processor are the only two reasons i have heard as to why this wouldn't work, but the fact that I had it working seems like it would rule it out.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Multi-touch on Moment - Why not?

My guess?  Samsung didn't want to get sued by the biggest patent troll on the planet. Apple is out of control.

Wizard

DonnOMalley wrote:

Has anybody been successful in multi-touch on the moment? I used to have ImagineTouch for viewing pictures with multi-touch, but at 1.6 it stopped working and I also can't use Dolphin which seems to support it without rooting. It wasn't 100% before when it did work, but it was really good that tells me the screen and the processor can support it, and it must only be an OS Implementation. Screen/Processor are the only two reasons i have heard as to why this wouldn't work, but the fact that I had it working seems like it would rule it out.

Your post is confusing...you ask if anyone has "been successful in multi-touch on the moment", but then say

that you were, as you had multi-touch working on your Moment but lost it when you upgraded to 1.6?  1.6 what? Not Android 1.6 as it never was released for the Moment, not even by the hacker sites.  In the post quoted above, you said you had multi-touch on your Moment, but in the post quoted below you say you saw it on a Moment. Could you please clarify?

DonnOMalley wrote:

The Moment DOES, i repeat, DOES, support Multi-touch. I have seen a Samsung Moment rooted and running a custom 1.5 ROM that had pinch-to-zoom functionality in a Picture Gallery like application.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/172292#172292

Journeyman

Ok, the short of the story is the first quote can basically be ignored. I was speaking out of ignorance and not accurate so lets just pretend that didn't get posted.

So as my second post mentioned. I have seen a moment that was rooted running a custom Android 1.5 ROM with multi-touch pinch-to-zoom functionality through the ImagineTouch Picture Application.

Through my extensive online research, I have found that there are applications through the market developed to utilize the multi-touch functionality that is built into the Android OS*.These apps, from what I can find online, only work with a select few handhelds (i.e. the Moto Droid)

I have since downloaded an app called "Multitouch Vis Test" that is supposed to plot two points at the same time graphically while displaying the x,y coordinates. This app will only plot one point at a time on my phone. I have seen online demos with the Test application plotting two fingers at the same time.

Basically, what I have concluded from all that info is:

1. Samsung Moment can support hardware/software the multi touch functionality (based on scenario with working pinch-to-zoom)

2. Android OS supports Multi touch functionality but it is the responsibility of the applications to utilize it. Nothing in the OS layers the functionality onto any application by default.

3. The Samsung Moment, presumably because of the Sprint version of the Android OS, will not support this functionality without a new kernel build that doesn't block the feature.

What I would like to know: Has anybody figured out how to enable the multi touch feature in any way other than the custom 1.5 rom as mentioned before? I would just like the option to utilize the feature if an application is programed to do so.

Hope this clears things up and sorry for the confusion.

* I have not been able to confirm the multi-touch functionality personally, but have found a few posts that appear credible attesting to the fact that the Android OS itself does support multi-touch

2.) Yes, the Android OS supports multitouch as of 2.0 but there has to be sofware written by the phone manufacturer specific to the hardware being used to make it work. There was absolutely no support in 1.5 for multitouch.

3.) Multitouch isn't being "blocked" the support for it just isn't there...and Samsung is the one that developed the update, not Sprint.  Apple is claiming companies using multitouch are violating one of its patents which may be the reason for lack of support for it.  Samsung may not want to risk getting involved in a lawsuit.

I've never heard of a custom 1.5 rom that enabled multitouch support.  There was a company selling an app that supposedly used multitouch even if the phone didn't officially support it...that is all I remember hearing about.

Message was edited by: jknutson74

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat