cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuance Voice Control VERY Slow

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nuance Voice Control VERY Slow

The built in Nuance Voice Control on my Samsung Moment is very slow.   When I click the side button to launch it, it takes about 10-15 seconds before it prompts "Say a Command"

I have tried changing the settings to Voice mode, Expert mode, etc.

50% of the time it takes so long, the Android OS pops up saying it's unresponsive and asks if I want to "Force Close" or "Wait"      Then when it pops up to "Say a Command" I know how to fumble around to click on the "Wait" button before I can continue.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Any suggestions?    I've had my phone for <1 week.

This is the software that came with my phone.  Is there an alternative one I can look into?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Journeyman

Totally agree.  Worst Voice Dialer EVER!  Unfortunately, you can't remove it, you can't even kill it's task as it restarts immediatly.  This POS application was put on this phone by Samsung, not sprint, so you can't blame them.  The worst thing is, it disables any other voice app you try to put on so you can't even replace it.  You can't search by voice on google maps, or 'Where' like you can on other Android phones.

Another case of 'What were they thinking?'.

Also, on a slightly different but related note, I wonder if this is the same Nuance that markets the OCR software and that stupid 'IRIS' pen. Their constant emails are the closest thing to spam that gets thru my filter.  If they are the same, I can only imagine that it will be very difficult to get rid of, as I had a hell of a time removing their OCR software when I upgraded to another package.

If there is a sprint minion who actually reads these posts, please know, (as you would if you actually tried to use this), that I have NEVER heard good things about this voice software and everyone who has used MS Voice Command is used to something much more user friendly.

Please, please,please, just enable the native google voice, or tell Samsung that your users should be given the choice to toss Nuance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agree...I upgraded from a WM6 device...and voice command was far better performing/integrated.  I've been avoiding use of the voice dialer on this phone.

There is a "decently" rated app in the marketplace called "TopVoiceControl" - but I'm unable to install/test it at the "moment" (that will never get old).  Curious as to if others can.

EDIT: I got it installed after waiting a few minutes - and i already like this much better than nuance.  It's still not as robust as MSVC...but it definitely starts quicker.  Worth a try fo sho.

Message was edited by: aBsTRaCt

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, you even get an option to do anything?  When Nuance ever activates for me, it says "Please wait"... then the app immediately aborts, no force-quit... nothin'.

A complete waste on my phone.

I bet it's getting tripped up over my contact list since I have some names with Japanese characters in there.

If anyone has any idea on how to make this app of any use... or get a replacement (ex: the enhanced voice search/etc available on HTC Hero) let me know.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't think I got it from the market...but...somewhere, I picked up both google voice dial and voice search.  The voice SEARCH does not work at all, however, the voice DIAL works perfectly.  It is immediate and fast.

After installing, when I hit the voice command button on the side of the phone, a window popped up asking me if I want to use Nuiance or Google Voice Dialer.  I chose use as default and then selected the GOOGLE voice dialer.  No more Nuisance...I mean Nuiance.  Again, the voice dialer from google is immediate and works.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been searching for the google voice dialer.  Where did you find it.  I have Google Voice but it does not give me the option to dial.  If you could post the exact link, I would appreciate it.  (probably a lot of others would, too)

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, this thread started me playing with both the Nuiance and Google Voice Dial (not to be confused with Voice Search).  I did start running into problems with the Google Voice Dial after awhile.  It was very fast but became quirky after a few uses.

So, I started playing with Nuiance and actually went into the Moment's manual. There is a settings mode...when in Nuiance, hit the menu, then settings.  Go into the AUDIO MODE and choose EXPERT.

After doing this, Nuiance FLIES!  Out of about 30 attempts to access it, including one time as the phone was just coming on after a power down...it only took about 5 secs one time.  The other times, it is immediate.  And, just as on my Instinct, it is very good...especially compared to the google voice dial.

Try this out!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been on Expert mode. It definitely speeds it up, but it still takes awhile (5+ seconds) to load 1/2 the time. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nuance was significantly slower and more annoying before we 'adapted' the voice and changed the settings.  (Heavens, our old Motorola flip phones with the pull-out antennas were better and we were ready to haul the Moments back based on this problem.  We wanted to be able to call w/o looking at the phone.)

We found this helpful:

1. Press the TOP button on right side to start Nuance.

2. Press MENU (on the phone, not the Nuance screen).

3. Choose SETTINGS.

4. Choose ADAPTATION and go through the process of having your phone adjust to your voice.  (Do it in a QUIET room.)

5. As suggested in other posts, you might want to try the EXPERT mode (under audio modes in the Nuance settings screen). One of us likes this and one of us doesn't.

While Nuance is still not perfect, this 'adjustment' seems to have made it much better... possibly better enough to live with?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem.. very slow.. and when it final;ly responds, it can't understand my commands.. and if there is any background noise such as traffic, forget about using Nuance.. Worst Voice Recog program I've seen in years.

Yes, I've tried Training it, and a soft reset of the phone, etc.

Highlighted
Journeyman

exactly ... all users comments are my experience as well. Nuance is slow to start, but why start it at all???  It is junk software -- doesn't recognize commands, even after 'training' ... and the 'suggestions' it comes up with are quite funny ... if one had a sense of humor while driving and just wanting to use voice dial to call home or office.   Should have never made it to the rom ... totally useless.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I found that clearing the call logs helps the speed a lot as well as the Expert Mode and adapting your voice mentioned above.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat