cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone shifts into airplane mode

Patron

Phone shifts into airplane mode

I have a moment, and the issue is that it shifts into airplane mode spontaneously.  When it does this, it will not shift out of airplane mode.  You can hit power and turn off airplane mode but you can't ever make a call (radio never enables), and thus you are forced to power cycle.

I believe that this has to do with an application that I installed, set up and then removed, and now I can't remember the name of the app.  I decided I liked "locale" better. but locale is completely disabled at this point since I was hoping that I could fix it by manipulating apps.  I have removed every app which might do this and it still happens.  I may have missed an app.

So I think I need to make a list of the apps I will actually use, get to a wi-fi area (for download speed) and factory reset the phone, and then reinstall those apps.  I suspect that the google data (address book, e-mail, messages?) will still be in the cloud somewhere.  Well, if I lose sms history I don't care so long as my contacts and e-mail are intact.

Has anyone done this?  Is it painful?  Are there shortcuts for reinstalling apps?  Is there an easy to list all installed apps into a file that you could then print - even from the phones command line, a file you could copy or something?  I am at home on the linux command line, I have not figured out all the ins and outs of Android.

Failing that, is there something I should look at for why the phone is shifting like this?  Does it log somewhere that I could look at (or is there an app I could install to look at event logs)?

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Phone shifts into airplane mode

Same here...the only thing that fixes it is a reboot....I am returning the phone for a replacement tomorrow.

Sadly, I oversee our company's cell phone contracts...We are all on BlackBerry Tours and I was looking for a replacement to save the monthly BlackBerry fee.

I like the Moment, and I thought it was worthy of switching our 230 users to it...But, they will never stand for the ramdom airplane mode crap.

Too bad.

That is very odd but I do not have that problem at all.Maybe it is phone is not the problem but maybe a error in one of installed programs.

How many here have rooted there cell phone?

Message was edited by: VorlessDarkChaos

Journeyman

I did a factory restore and didn't install any apps...It still does it.

Do a search for Samsung Moment Airplane Mode...Many others have the same problem.

paully21 wrote:

I did a factory restore and didn't install any apps...It still does it.

Do a search for Samsung Moment Airplane Mode...Many others have the same problem.

Do you have pandora installed?

Journeyman

No...I said I don't have ANY apps installed.

paully21 wrote:

No...I said I don't have ANY apps installed.

Sorry, i miss that part of your post i am a little tired.

few hours ago same thing happen to me as well but after restarting My Moment the problem has not return yet.

Journeyman

Yep...But the real problem lies in the fact that I may not know it has happened...So, I may miss calls, texts or emails.

Journeyman

I'm not positive, but I don't believe you lose the calls/texts/etc sent to you while your phone is in airplane mode. I just got my Moment a week and half ago and I had this happen to me the day I got it. My phone was on airplane mode for about three hours and when I finally realized it and rebooted I received all of the texts that had been sent to me while my phone was in airplane mode. The calls were listed as missed calls and my voicemails were shown.

It's only happened to me the one time since I got my phone and simply shutting it off and turning it back on again fixed the problem, but I'm also worried about it being off without my knowledge in the future.

Journeyman

I just  started experiencing this problem a day or two a go...I'd hear a beep and see the x on my bars, but was able to go into settings and toggle airplane mode off.  Today though, it's completely stuck...i got the x this afternoon, and can't get it off, regardless of power cycling a dozen times, and removing and reinstalling the battery.  Nothing I try works.  I got a little app-happy this week, and uninstalled every recent app I've downloaded, but no dice.  I really like the phone, and thought people were slightly overreacting about it when reading the various forums online, but it's quite frustrating to spend basically the entire day without the ability to use your phone.

Journeyman

My Samsung Moment also goes into airplane mode whenever I turn it on after it's being shut off for  a while! I can't make phone calls whenever I turn the phone on. I have to reboot it constantly!

Message was edited by: mabeltous

Journeyman

My phone has gone into Airplane mode twice since CL14 update I did about a month ago, never before that.   I noticed no pattern to this it has been very random.

CL14 did fix my non-working Visual Voice Mail that broke random and could not be fixed….  Other than that I am having a great experience with this phone so far.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat