cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue? Help!

Journeyman

Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue? Help!

I have this same issue with the Proximity Sensor. I was on the phone call with someone and then I heard the phone ringing. I pull the phone away from my ear and it was 3 way calling someone else. How embarassing! Not only that but I would accidently put people on speaker or mute or hang up on them. Other than that I started accessing applications & playing music on my phone. Going to take it to the store tomorrow & see what they can do. Its retarded!

Journeyman

It is terrible, you can't even use the phone.  Anyway you are not alone.  I have read customer reviews of this phone and yes tons of people are having the same issue.  Hopefully they can come up with a fix.  Maybe create an app with a better sensor or an app to lock the screen.  Anything would be great.  I do love this phone (except for calls), I just wish this problem could be solved.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've only owned 2 cell phones. 1st was an Instinct which I liked. Then I bought a Moment

and I'm having huge trouble with the proximity sensor. I constantly launch apps with my face.

If my phone is out in the open and I receive a call, The display lights up then the screen blanks out,

I press the call button to answer call and the display turns on again but the call doesn't connect so I need to hit the call

again before the answering machine kicks in. I thought it was operator error but it obviously is a technical issue.

Journeyman

I had the same problem and still do some of the time. If you hold the phone lower so that the top part sits sort of in the ear instead of over the top of the ear (like my old phone), it helps quite a bit.

I think the tilt detection is also part of the problem since it also unlocks/activates the screen.. at least, that's been my experiece.

Hopefully they fix some of it in the upcoming update, but I wouldnt count on it.

Heres to hope though!

Journeyman

Mary,
I followed the "download the Sensor List app" instructions listed by Seraph (Thanks Seraph, by the way!) and my Samsung Moment was stuck on "Waiting for value update" under the GP2AP (which is the label for Proximity Sensor) and it stayed stuck on "waiting"...

So, I chatted with a Sprint Chat Rep and she asked me to power down my phone and take the battery out so she could then "Update my phone". Then she asked me to turn my phone back and try the Sensor List app again and sure enough, the update she did on my phone worked because I am now able to see the values for the Proximity Sensor (if yours works, you will see green, red and blue graph-like lines and numbers)

I suggest anyone having the same problem with the Sensor List app log online and ask a Sprint Chat Rep to update your phone.

Good luck everyone!

-Roxanne

***Also, the Sprint Chat Rep mentioned my adhesive screen protector may be the cause of the Proximity Sensor not working correctly. Try removing yours if you have one and cutting down some.

Message was edited by: foxyroxy84

Journeyman

I am with the rest of you, while I like my headset and that does resolve most of these issues, I regularly have my phone in my pocket and when I take it out, things have changed!  Apps on the front screen, ect.

I am ready to change to a different phone.

Journeyman

To all: I have had all of the same issues with my Moment phone!!! I am very discusted as a new customer that sprint will not do anything to help resolve this issue. 5 star customer service my ass!!! Has anyone tried other phones from the so called "well list"? I have been given the opportunity to get a new Instinct or the Hero. Should I make this change?

Wizard

On my Moment, the proximity sensor is in the same location as the light sensor.  I can test the sensor without downloading additional apps.  From the phone dialer, dial *#0*#.  Then tap "sensors".  When you place your thumb over the sensors (just left of the Sprint logo), the screen will turn blue, the phone will vibrate, and the proximity value will turn from zero (0) to one (1).  There are other tests you can perform on your phone from this menu.  Have fun!

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.