Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Moment CL14 Maintenance Release

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Moment CL14 Maintenance Release

My experience w/CL14:

-Location works!

-Battery life initially got worse, now better.  Spare parts made it look like an app i had called "Power Manager" was ironically sucking CPU, so i removed.  dunno if there's some weird conflict with that app and this update or what.

-Have not experienced airplane mode yet...and it used to happen to me.  I'm running on about 4 days.

-"Seems" more responsive (this is a hard one to quantify, and is always tainted by placebo effect)

-911 pocket dial fixed

I think the update got all of the "big" issues pretty well.  Enough to last me for a couple months till 2.1

I just tried to get the update with no luck.  The store was aware of the update but I was the first to request it.  After about an hour I left the store with a new phone still on CJ05 because they bricked my original.  While running the update on my phone they said they found an email that was sent overnight (I got to the store at open) that stated they were to no longer to apply the update due to issues with the update bricking phones.

Journeyman

OK, here's my take on the CL14 update.
You'll notice that your phone has been updated the second you turn it ON, basically because they changed the load animation; now instead of the classic android logo you get a second Samsung logo with an eerie green glow. the good thing is that the boot up is now even faster, I think is the fastest booting Android device I've seen.
The stock Android calendar app was updated, the big clue is that now it's white letters against a black background instead as black letters against white background as it used to be, I believe they should've done some improvements underneath it but is still to early to tell. Battery life seems better, is funny because on the first charge it seems worst, but then it gets better.
I have to say it is noticeably faster, even after loading all my "crap" again into the phone, it still seems a tad more responsive, no that it wasn't before, but it just seem better (then again it could be just the placebo effect but anyway). I never had any airplane mode issues before so I can't really speak anything on that one, if someone can explain how to test that I  might be able to check that out for you.
I'm not a big Nascar or NFL fan so I haven't tested those apps, but the GPS app is the same (v2.1) and the only change in the voicemail app is that now there's a widget for the home screen that displays the number of voicemails you have.
With the new update when a contact has no picture you don't get the little android as you used to but now is generic green shape of a person, I think they should've kept the old image.
GPS has always been very accurate to me, it might be getting the GPS fix a tad faster, but really I never had issues with it before, so I haven't noticed anything significant yet.
For the guy that asked for the list of fixes, IT IS at the beginning of this thread, first post, but as I've browsed my way through the updated phone I have noticed some tiny little changes that are not in that list.
So if you're having issues with the phone definitely go for this update and report your experience. but if you're not, there's really no rush, as the changes are not that dramatic, it is definitely worth it, but if you're not a geek like a lot of us, you might be fine waiting for the OTA update.

Journeyman

Got the update yesterday... was at swtore 45 minutes(only took shy of 10minutes to actually do update) and had to reinstall apps... Phone is running way faster.... email layout is nicer... gps always worked for me... battery meter seems to be more accurate and battery widgets now work correctly... one thing no one seems to have noticed so I will point out... go to settings>about phone>system updates>and there is now a 4th option.... go see and that option hints at an OTA Android Update All take a look tell me what you think... and Sprint Admin maybe you could shed some light on this new feature that is not in release notes?

Journeyman

Now that I look at it the image they put when you don't have a picture for a contact; it looks very similar to the image that appears here in the forum if you have no profile picture (look at the image at the left of this post). so it's definitely think there's a Sprint touch on that one.

The new Android Update option seems interesting I haven't noticed it. but as I said, there's bunch of tiny nuggets in this update hidden all over the place!

Journeyman

Funny.... I was the first one to ask for the Moment update in this Sprint store I went to.  They worked on it for 1 hour.  When I came back to pick it up the tech apologized for bricking my phone.  He said they got poor instructions on installing the update like steps were switched or something(?). They replaced it with a new phone but no update.  He wouldn't touch it again and told me to come back after a month to get the update.  Lesson learned.... ask them if they have done this successfully before they touch your phone.  OTA available soon?

Journeyman

I have noticed some locations they have techs with no ability to actually be a tech... unfortunate.... atleast the techs at my nearest store have the ability.... I was 1st one my ntech did and like I said when he went to do it when my turn to be helped came 10 minutes done whala and off I went... They should do some kind of testing to ensure the tech should actually EVER touch something electronic or computerized

Journeyman

I called the nearest repair center to me (80 fricken miles). Not only did the rep not know anything about this update.

She told me I was wrong and that there is no update that can't be done OTA. I tried to explain the new update but she interupted me

and basically told me to leave the technical stuff to the experts. I politely thanked her and hung up. I then called Sprint's Tech support

and the rep said she could do the update OTA. We started the process and it was clear she had no idea about the new update. She put me on hold and talked to her supervisor and came back and told me there was no update. I actually had to get her to log on to the website and walk her

to this thread screen by screen. I literally had to say "see the bumble bee?" click on the button below it. Count down 8 threads to the correct thread,

She counts out loud 1.. 2..3..4..5..6..7..8.  "Oh yeah we can't do that update, I would just wait"  "Have I answered your question today Sir"

ME: Whatever.... 

I don't understand why Sprint would launch an update and not notify their employees.  Poor communication.

Journeyman

So I finally found a non-corporate Sprint repair center that knew immediately what I was talking about when I asked for the update!!  I'm now happy again!!  Lol  All of my little gripes with the phone seem to be corrected now.  The gps worked within 5 seconds and other things are improved too.  There is alot more in this update than the few things that Sprint mentioned in the official notice.  The one thing that I question though, is that my internal memory which was 260mb without any apps, was down to 197mb after the update.  Has anyone else noticed a difference in the amount of internal memory?  63mb is a big amount to lose to an update!!

Journeyman

Just thought I'd drop a line and tell you all what a ball breaker it was to finally get this update! I'm in Philadelphia Pa and there are really only 2 repair centers in the 10 mile radius. At about 1:00 yesterday I went to the first sprint store/repair center (Cedarbrook Mall) handed the phone over,20 min later the guy calls my name and comes out only to tell me that he tried and it wouldn't take and to do it the regular OTA way. Then this morning I headed to the second sprint store/repair and they took my phone number and told me next week that the manager had to physically bring the update around or some crap like that. So finally I picked a random Sprint store/repair outside of Phila called and the tech said bring it over got there he did it in 20 min I used MyBackup Pro and that was that.These people don't know what's going on.Well I'm just glad I was able to get the update

Journeyman

Called my local repair center in Clackamas Oregon, and set an appoitment yesterday for today.  They were not aware of the update.

Got to the store for the appoitment.  It is quite a drive.  They said to come back as they are not having luck.  The tech also said he was not comfortable doing it on my phone until they got one of their employee demos fashed as he did not want to brick my phone.  He was awayre some phones have gotten bricked due to flash.

He just sent me an email and told me he has a troubel ticket open with Sprints corporate tech support. 24-48 hour response as they are not able to get the update to flash correctly.

Figners crossed.

Journeyman

I am all updated! Was at the store at 9AM as they opened the door. They were like.....what?

I told them to check..."Oh OK" Did you back it up? Yes.

So after it looked like they tried to OTA it they flashed it over, Data didn't work immediately. I yanked the battery and started troubleshooting the issue in front on the Repair center tech, he was amused. I tried to download a couple things off the market, no joy. I handed it back to him. He played with it a while too and took the battery out of it again just like I had, and golden. My backup works great, although I shouldn't have backed up google sync items, it caused a few errors.

The actual report:

Runs Great

We have a dialer for emergencys! Yay, no suprise there.

AGPS is perfect no error at all.

Its running faster.

Thoughts, this actually makes the phone great, I don't even need 2.1 now, forget I said that its a lie. Now if Pandora skipping would be fixed, Moment Life would be complete.

I was the first person they did, they didn't brick my phone.

While I was there I told two other moment owners, and there was a small line for updates, oops.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat