cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Moment CL14 Maintenance Release

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Moment CL14 Maintenance Release

It is farily normal for a phone to be wiped during a rom update, and this is true for most smart phones (or at least, it has been for all of my smart phones.).  I would virtually guarantee the 2.1 (if we get it) will wipe the phone, no questions.

As far as backing up your phone, there are a few programs that you can use to back up your phone, scroll through this thread (I hate to say that, but I don't remember the names of them) and then check them out.  I personally sync my calendar and contacts to my exchange server, so wiping my phone usually isn't that much of an issue.  It certainly doesn't seem like it will be an issue with the Moment (assuming I keep mine) as all of my custom stuff (ringers etc..) is stored on the micro SD card anyway.

I was reading some rumors about the 2.1 update, and the rumormill is saying that when the 2.1 update comes out it will be the same as CL14 is now, where you have to take your phone to a store.  Please, if anyone from sprint reads this, DON'T.  Not all of us can go to a store for upgrades, as the nearest one to me that can do CL14 is 3.5 hours away, really not happy about that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure about how the iPhone works, but if you had Windows Mobile on your phone and took it to Sprint to do an update you will still lose your apps, same for Blackberry phones. I think the Apps should be attached to your GMail account somehow, allowing you to re-download.

Everytime I took either one in, or did an update with eith my WM or BB phones it wiped all data... not sure how to do back-ups on the Moment/Android phone. There are apps for backing up data, someone posted the name and said it's $5. If your data is business related, I would think it would easily be worth $5 not to lose it all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

First wrong thing you did was probably get your phone directly from Sprint. As I've said on the forum many times, get your phone (s) from Radio Shack or Best Buy or whatever place near you is an authorized dealer. I bought my Moment from Radio Shack (upgrade) on Feb 2 and it had the CL14 update in it.

You DON"T NEED the CL14 update.  My wife has a Moment without it and there is not any noticeable difference in out phones. Her battery lasts as long as mine and mine lasts a pretty long time.

It is normal for it to wipe everything and the repair facility should have told you this, and unfortunately this happens on all smartphones that I know of, but I backup everything on my PC before I make a big change don't you ?

As far as backup software on the Market, get MyBackup Pro.   It's  $4.99 and well worth it.  I've used it 2 times to restore and it works great.

I don't know why apps you had wouldn't show up on Market after the CL14 update, unless they have been removed from the Market altogether.

On your battery, let it drain all the way to shut-off, then recharge it fully before using again. This should help. Also make sure you have few, if any, running apps you aren't using. My battery lasts me all night (I work nights) and all day. I don' put it on the charger until I go to sleep.

For information on ANDROID 2.1  go to developer.android.com  and from what I understand updating to 2.1 will be optional and if you do upgrade then BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.  🙂  because it will wipe your phone too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I haven't read anything yet saying that 2.1 is going to be a repair shop upgrade.  I have heard it will be OTA or at home.  At any rate it will of course wipe your phone, if you don't have a backup program or your stuff backed up, then its shame on you.  I've never had a problem with the phone being wiped because the first program I got was a backup program. The problem is just like a PC, too many people buying them that are technology challenged. This is not your momma's phone people.  You still can't find the ANY KEY can you ?

I did hear that 2.1 is optional and not mandatory as is the CL14 upgrade, so I'm going to wait and watch the forums for people who get the 2.1 and see if I really want to upgrade.  I like my phone the way it is and don't have a battery issue. My wife has a moment without the CL14 and she doesn't have a battery issue either, but then we are not technology challenged.   I charge my phone when I'm asleep and don't have to recharge it until the next bedtime even with fairly heavy use. If I use the Sprint TV a lot it may drain a little bit more but normal ops is pretty good.  My issue with the phone has been the ANDROID system.  It won't let me use OPERA-mini, and it doesn't have FLASH and a number of things I think it needs.  Other than the razzle dazzle of it I'm not overly impressed with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

On the Market the app is called MyBackup Pro and it's $4.99.  It is well worth it and pleeeeeaaase  everybody don't tell me you can't afford it   I noticed first thing on this phone no backup application or restore point, so the backup program is the first thing I got. 

Listen up everybody, you DONT NEED the CL14 update unless you feel it will make a difference in your battery life.

I have 2 Moments, one with and one without.  Both have excellent battery life and no difference in operation, so my wife isn't going to bother with CL14. She is just going to wait for 2.1 to come out.

Right now I am sitting at work at night and I have been playing the MP3 player on it for about 2 hours. I havent had it on  the charger for about 14 hours.

Go to the SAMSUNG Website and check out the FAQs and How to Guides on the Moment. Also register your phone for the warranty.

Go to the Android developer site to check out the 2.1 release.

Remember, backup, backup and backup.   MyBackup Pro works just fine.

If you want to save wallpapers and Pics and music on your SD card I highly recommend getting at least an 8gb SD card.  I bought a 8gb at RadioShack  for like 21 bucks.

One more thing people, download the full users guide !!! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

3 messages with the same message basic message... lol. And still Mongomauler someone will complain about battery and how to back up phone.

I agree pre-CL14 battery life is fine for me, with GPS on and Worldtour app set for 1 hour or shorter wallpaper updates. Set the auto dimmer on your display and set a reasonable time for the display screen timeout time. Remember to disable the wifi and only enable it when you need to use it. If you are in an area where you know you will not get a decent phone signal (reception) disable the antenna (set to airplane mode), this will save your battery life.

I charge mine before going to bed, and it lasts most of the day... but if I use Srint Navigation or anything that uses the 3G, GPS or keeps the display on, forget it the battery will die fast. This is why I carry a car charger and the USB charger as a back-up. All smart phones are the same, whether it was my BB 8301e, BB 8830, my HTC Touch, or my HTC Snap. They all died with heavy use. And DO NOT DRAIN your BATTERY, it has been said on here already, you will damage it if your try to drain it to 0%. Try turning off your phone to cycle the power, then turn it back on  (incase some app crashed and is still trying to run in the background draining power) then charge normally... plug in charger and then tap the red phone button (tap, do not hold) to place the phone in stand-by mode. When the phone is fully charged the screen will light up and if you read it it will tell you this right under the date and time. This is the only way I have noticed the phone tell me it is fully charged any other way and it's a blind guess. The Moment uses a Lithium Ion Battery, be very careful. But if you have a warranty and if Sprint is willing to give you a new battery or phone for free... knock yourself out.

Lithium-ion Battery Life and Death

Lithium-ion battery packs are expensive, so if you want to make yours to last longer, here are some things to keep in mind:

• Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined.

• Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last two to three years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not "avoid using" the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years. It won't. Also, if you are buying a new battery pack, you want to make sure it really is new. If it has been sitting on a shelf in the store for a year, it won't last very long. Manufacturing dates are important.

• Avoid heat, which degrades the batteries

Read more here: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lithium-ion-battery1.htm

Also to try to clearify, the CL14 is not just for battery life, it helps prolong the battery life due to software problems, thus the patch (from what I understand - I am not an expert on this matter as I do not work for Sprint or as a modder). Part of the problem I believe is due to some of the Apps pre-installed. Your wife probably does not use or disabled these features or apps. I do not have the list but I believe some are/are not the following: Sprint TV, Weather App, and a few others like NASCAR and Sprint Navigation. But Someone else will need to post correct list since I may be completely wrong.

Another reason for CL14 is GPS, the GPS is horrible (Samsung must of placed the cheapest antenna they could find and charged us for a more expensive one). Sprint is releasing a fix due to the issues with Sprint's Cell (Radio) tower trackers (think 24 when they track the bad guy using his cell phone, using cell towers) and the Google OS from what I was told. Now you should be able to enable this feature and it should work, but it is not as accurate as GPS tracking (when it's working and you have decent antenna).

****RANT**** ****RANT**** ****RANT****

OK, I am better now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

so do i have to get the CL14 update before i can update to 2.1 whenever we get it. I was going to wait and see. I personally have no problems with my moment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  Having to wipe a phone for a kernal update is either bad programming or crappy update process, especially since it was a "maintenance release".  I do understand that a OS upgrade will probably cause a phone wipe but their should be a serious flag or warning from everyone before any update is done. I've learned my lesson and will seek solutions to keep my data intact.

I had an At&t Blackberry 8800 with my previoous job and always had my data after updates.  One of those was a complete OS upgrade. I backed it up from my PC, updated whatever, and restored my data.

I think Sprint or Samsung needs to pay attention to this and make it better.

I wanted the update on my Moment for several reasons not just for battery patches.

Looks like I still have to be smarter than my smartphone.  Pun intended.

Highlighted
Master

Blackberries work an entirely different way using Blackberry Desktop Manager for the backup/restore for the upgrade over the wire, and a new Wireless Update option on the newest software that performs similar functions for backup/restore with an OTA update in a portion of memory that is not rewritten.

It isn't Sprint or Samsung that aren't doing things right, it isn't anything they are doing making it work that way compared to some other way. It is a limitation of the device update process itself. The ICSS program used in repair stores isn't meant for updating devices. The ICSS system is designed to wipe phones entirely and reload software for technical support and refurbishing. You can perform an "update" using it in the sense that you wipe the entire phone and instead of reloading the same software you use newer software.

This is also exactly the way Windows Mobile phones have done updates for years at home with the update program on your own computer.

Obviously Android supports updates without wiping all information, as evidenced with the Hero's maintenance release OTA. If there is an over the wire update made available for home use it will either have a warning about wiping all information, or it will update without wiping anything. The store however should have at least said there was a possibility of losing information, if they did not then you would have to complain to their manager to make sure the reps are informing customers correctly, it is on the list of things they are suppost to tell you, if they aren't then they need to be reminded/retrained, and complaining here about it won't help that particular store with it, whereas talking to their manager about it will.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As I stated before, I  KNOW  the CL14 was not just for battery life. As far as for the GPS. My wife does not have the CL14 update and there does not appear to be anything wrong with the GPS signal/position unless it's a battery issue with the GPS program. Her GPS is just as accurate as mine which needless to say accuracy within 30 meters is not that good as far as I'm concerned. Maybe there is some other program that uses the GPS that doesn't work right, I don't know.

AS far as Lithium-ion deep charge goes. Most people will tell you a Deep Charge is Not recommended but will not necessarily damage it. But also using quick charging devices are not good either.   It prefers slower charging and of course slower discharging, but according to some the fast charging does as much to harm the battery as letting it discharge completely.

A Deep Discharge is not defined as discharging all the way either. A partial charge (20%) is what car batteries are designed for.  A Deep Discharge is described as UP to 80% of the battery is discharged.

A lot of devices uses this type of battery and a lot of manufacturers are still recommending the deep charge cycle.

Of course when you talk to SAMSUNG or SPRINT, neither one apparentlt knows anything about a battery.

The main thing about Lithium-ion is the recommendation to charge them frequently.   Well not always possible in a damn cell phone. Most people end up doing a deep discharge anyway.

You know whats funny, not only do the WINDOWS XP computers at my work not recognize the phone via USB, but they do not charge it. Interesting don't you think ? They show an unknown device hooked up and thats it and the phone does not show that it is charging. Good thing I got Vista and 7 at home. Nah, there isn't anything wrong with the USB ports.

I stand by my word that CL14 is not needed.  The one other person I know other than my wife without the CL14 does not have a problem with their phone either including the GPS positioning/accuracy.  My wife uses more of her phone than I do including games that I  don't do, so until someone can be "SPECIFIC" about what it does I stand by my word. I don't need to hear , Oh it makes improvements to this and that but I don't know exactly what...

The GPS positioning in my wifes last phone was horrible.  .8 mile to ove a mile off most times. My old RAZR was very good and so far I have found the Moment to be pretty good, but I'm used to navigating with military Global Positioning Satellites.  

I don't know what you mean by think 24 ?

At any rate when people let the battery drain more than 20% and up to 80% this is considered a deep cycle, so I think most people are going to end up doing that. As far as a complete discharge....hmmm 

Also just what exactly does the CL14 update include ?    I don't want to hear  "fixes that you wouldn't understand".  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

I would like to hear from a SAMSUNG or SPRINT Rep on the battery issue. Just what kind of  discharge/charge cycling  do you recommend ?  You need to clear up this issue on battery charging.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would say no you don't have to get the CL14, and you can wait until 2.1 comes out.  Check your GPS location (google map) and  see how it works and are you happy so far with the battery ?  Other than that if it's performing good to coin a phrase, it ain't broke don't fix it. I understand that 2.1 will incorporate these fixes in it anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mongomauler wrote:

I would say no you don't have to get the CL14, and you can wait until 2.1 comes out.  Check your GPS location (google map) and  see how it works and are you happy so far with the battery ?  Other than that if it's performing good to coin a phrase, it ain't broke don't fix it. I understand that 2.1 will incorporate these fixes in it anyway.

Apparently CL14 also includes an update that enables future updates to be done OTA (or more specifically adds a recovery mode to recover from failed updates so that a phone isn't bricked when the update fails. Without it, you will still need to go to Sprint or hope they put out a version for download and local installation.

If that's true, I would say it is necessary.

Anyone that really wants the update but can't get to Sprint can do it themselves at home with a little patience, some Google searching, and some risk.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat