cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Moment DOES NOT support multitouch... Sprint/Samsung comments?

Journeyman

Samsung Moment DOES NOT support multitouch... Sprint/Samsung comments?

Two questions...

I was told the Samsung Moment hardware supported multitouch.  Can anyone confirm this?

If it has been disabled, can anyone confirm why?  Can we get a Sprint representative or Samsung representative to comment?  I still have 15 days on my trial, and I plan to return this phone if it will not support some of the coolest new apps that will come out soon.  I understand there are potential patent issues, but I would be happier with a company that would brave that storm.  I.e., if another company can support it, then Samsung really has no competitive chance in the Android market in the long run.

In a day or two, I will start to make the rounds on the significant review sites to clarify that the Samsung Moment does not support multitouch, because many people think that because it has a capacitive screen that it must.  I have downloaded a few simple test apps that make it clear that my Samsung Moment with Android 2.1-Update 1 does not support multitouch.

Comments welcome.

Can someone confirm whether the HTC alternative supports multitouch?

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Moment DOES NOT support multitouch... Sprint/Samsung comments?

Sounds like someone needs to research before one buys,

and remember Google is your friend.

Have a nice day.

I've never seen anywhere in the official specs that said the Moment supported multitouch.

Journeyman

The moment kind of supports multi touch.

The moments touch screen supports multi touch but the code or software or whatever other hardware needed to actually make it work was not included. My theory is sprint had sammy take it out so that the hero had something that would set it apart and  a reason why people would want to buy the hero.

Although the reason why it has a screen that supports multi touch but no componets to make it work is still a mystery and no official comment has been made.

Journeyman

A capacitive screen is just one important part of the equation. The touchscreen controller hardware also needs to support it. At the moment, the controller/driver doesn't report multi-touch information, and it may be that the controller hardware can't do it. Or it could just be that improved drivers are needed. But it's certainly possible that the hardware doesn't support it. It was never advertised as having multi-touch, though since almost every phone with a capacitive screen has gotten it, it wasn't outrageous to think that the Moment might get it with 2.1 as well. Oh well.

Journeyman

The Sprint sales rep had no idea, but he thought that a capacitive screen implied multitouch.  He seemed to think I might get it with the 2.1-Update. That was a whole store of Sprint people that did not know and COULD NOT FIND the information.  There are hundreds of people out there with the same confusion.  More than half of them seem to think it is a capability or the hardware could support it (and would support it when Sprint updated).  Samsung can ride that confusion and get a few extra sales, but there is a price for not clearing up this type of confusion.  If anyone in that company has a Google Alert watching "Samsung Moment" they know there is a lot of confusion, but I had an incredibly difficult time finding this information and it was not on either Sprint's or Samsung's websites (when I looked).  I can send them a high school student that could update their web page for one billionth of their revenue on that phone.

Sprint does not explicitly list multitouch on the Hero either, but apparently it supports it.  Find me a page/review that has that information and I will find you ten that do not or says the opposite.  Show that information to me on any Sprint page or Samsung page (HTC Hero has multitouch and Moment is hardware incapable and I will give you bonus points.

I still like the phone.  I may not get rid of it for this reason alone.  I just think that companies should report their device capabilities and actively clear up confusion.  It shouldn't take someone like me making the rounds to tell everyone that the Moment will never support multitouch.

Journeyman

The Moment DOES, i repeat, DOES, support Multi-touch. I have seen a Samsung Moment rooted and running a custom 1.5 ROM that had pinch-to-zoom functionality in a Picture Gallery like application.

Apparently that same Moment phone, updated to any stock sprint ROMs, loses teh pinch-to-zoom functionality. Yes the same application was used for comparison.

On my non-rooted/custom rom phone, i have tried all the applications that are supposed to support multi-touch and they have all been a disappointment. Maybe if my moment was a moto droid, i would have had better success (All posts imply the moto droid works with those other apps)

From what i can tell, in one way/shape/form, Android OS itself supports multi-touch functionality and the Moment's touch screen itself supports multi-touch functionality. However, pre Android 2.0, it required a custom kernel to unlock the feature and post 2.0 it requires the provider (Sprint) to not lock it down. I may be wrong in my blame on Sprint in the 2.1 release, but logically it doesn't make any other sense to me. It would also be nice to see the stock android apps get multi-touch functionality added in as the feature is useless without the apps.

As I said, i have seen the pinch-to-zoom function work on a Samsung Moment. I don't know how or if the app plays a game to trick it into multi-touch, but either way, it is possible. Most likely, we need to wait for Sprint to enable the feature and then we will need the apps to use it.

Hopefully, we will get an official word from somebody in Sprint that has the authority and knowledge to speak on this topic. Otherwise, I doubt we will be able to get past all the rumors and out right wrong information out there regarding this functionality.

Journeyman

@DonnO,  Thank you.  That was very helpful.  I had not see a single rooted Moment video on the web that showed multitouch.  I have tried the multitouch tester apps and my own apps and have seen that it is not available or disabled.

I will research to see if any of the carriers have the guts to provide multitouch capability.  We have all seen that Android supports it.  I know that the Droid, HTC, and other platforms can support it.  The programming interface is trivial so there will be apps as soon as one of the carriers enables the functionality.

Does anyone know an easy way to get this functionality using a non-Sprint/Samsung mod?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Regarding a working mod, the one I had seen was running the Zefie 14.3 Kernel and from what i understand, if this makes sense, over the stock CL14 MR build provided by Sprint/Samsung. This was either Android 1.5 or 1.6, im not sure as i thought 1.6, but was told there was no 1.6 for the phone.

Anyways, that was the general combo for the working Imagine MultiTouch with Pinch-to-Zoom. well it was also supposedly rooted.

If you understand all that, you may be able to put the pieces together. I do not and heard it voids warranty so the cost is too much for me to do that.

I would really just like to see an official release that doens't block it. I don't care who is directing it Sprint/Samsung, don't care, just want it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat