cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Moment Data LockUp Issue?

Journeyman

Samsung Moment Data LockUp Issue?

Hi Everyone,

I am a small business owner in Central Illinois.  And I purchased the Samsung Moment back in May.  It is a great phone but has a tiny, annoying, major flaw.  The phone constantly enters a data lockup mode that Sprint/Samsung have been unable to resolve.  The glitch has existed since the phone's inception in 2009, and the most recent updates were supposed to have fixed the issue.  Unfortunately they did not.  My phone was replaced 3 weeks ago by Sprint and that same night my replacement experienced the same issue.  I have already spoken with Sprint about the replacement issue and I am going back to the repair center this week for another replacement.

With all of the news about the Moment being dropped from Sprint support, the Moment not receiving the 2.2 update, and the Samsung Epic expected to be the Messiah of smart phones I am in disbelief that people have just accepted that they were sold a rotten apple and keep chewing it day after day with the intention to go purchase the Epic when it comes out.  I don't think it is reasonable for all of us paying Sprint customers to just keep waiting for a solution, that clearly doesn't and will not exist, just to go dump money into something new and shiny when all we wanted was for the item we purchased in the first place to work as advertised.  It is my belief that Sprint/Samsung owes us an apology and some level of amends for the faulty device.  At the very least we should all have the option to exchange our Moment for another device while we the customer pay the difference of what we paid for the Moment to the New Customer cost of the item of our choosing.  We need something.  We were all sold a faulty device, and feel stuck because of the service contract.  I am not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure our warranties covers the replacement of a defective product.  If every product is defective, then we need our money back.

I am compiling a list of everyone who has been affected by this issue.  If you would like to be a part of this list please send me an email at Samsung_Moment_Issue@cintwr.com.  If you feel uneasy about leaving your full information, just leave your first name and State of service in the email body, or just send a blank email so that I have your email address.  I will be issuing a petition to Samsung/Sprint soon, so if you would like to be a part of the process please sign up.  I will send out more details to all that reply.

Also please feel free to voice your thoughts and concerns about this issue below.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Samsung Moment Data LockUp Issue?

Hi, MK!

Just a quick clarification -- we are not 'dropping support' for the Moment. Sprint and Samsung are working on this issue. It is a top priority. Stay tuned.

I understand your frustration.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

wengla02,

Thank you so much for the update, but at the same time, I wonder why you're the only one who has accepted the obvious fact that every Moment has had this unacceptible flaw since it was released and you guys are working hard to fix it. No other Sprint employees I've talked and contacted knows Moment has this big issue nor accepts it. I'm getting more and more disgusted about Sprint and want to leave it day by day due to that dishonesty to their customers. Please don't misunderstand me; I'm not complaining to you. I really appreciate your open minded attitude to us. Whenever you hear something, please let us know. Thank you.

p.s. Nevertheless, I'm very suspicious if you guys and Samsaung engineers can figure out how to resolve this issue. As a software developer, I've never seen that long debugging process on just a few issues. If the issue could be fixed by code, that should definately have been done long time ago with some exception handlers or something. You know, this issue looks like inherited from its hardware to me. Samsung was too hurry to jump out to the Android market with Moment so they had no time to test all of its hardware parts and their compatibilities. In spite of this assumption, I would gladly accept that I'm wrong when you guys release a "working" patch for the Moment as I really want to have a "working and reliable" phone.

Message was edited by: lightworld7

Journeyman

Hi Wengla02,

I will Stay Tuned, however I am not holding my breath.  I appreciate the response, but as of 5 minutes ago I've had 13 responses to my list and I haven't even added links around the web pointing users to this discussion forum.  I think the evidence is pretty overwhelming that Samsung/Sprint issued out a faulty product and have failed to fix the issue for more than a year.  We deserve proper compensation.  As per the product warranty we are entitled to it.  I think when the list really ramps up, it will be evident that the efforts spent to "fix" the issue have merely been to replace defective items with defective items, with the appearance of providing quality customer service.

But Thank you for your understanding.

Journeyman

Excerpt from Samsung's Warranty Page....  See the highlighted texts below.  The phones are defective.  And they are being replaced with more defective phones.  Samsung is not holding up their end of the bargain.  They made a mistake in the phone, that is understandable, but we the user's shouldn't continue to be penalized for that mistake.

Section 1: Warranty Information

Standard Limited Warranty

What is Covered and For How Long?
SAMSUNG TELECOMMUNICATIONS AMERICA, L.P. ("SAMSUNG") warrants to the original purchaser ("Purchaser") that SAMSUNG's Phones and accessories ("Products") are free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for the period commencing upon the date of purchase and continuing for the following specified period of time after that date:

Phone
Batteries
Leather Case/Pouch/Holster
Holster
Other Phone Accessories
1 Year
1 Year
90 Days
90 Days
1 Year

What is Not Covered? This Limited Warranty is conditioned upon proper use of Product by

Purchaser. This Limited Warranty does not cover: (a) defects or damage resulting from

accident, misuse, abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage, exposure to

moisture or dampness, neglect, unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress, or

defects in appearance, cosmetic, decorative or structural items, including framing, and any

non-operative parts unless caused by SAMSUNG; (b) defects or damage resulting from

excessive force or use of a metallic object when pressing on a touch screen; (c) equipment

that has the serial number or the enhancement data code removed, defaced, damaged,

altered or made illegible; (d) any plastic surfaces or other externally exposed parts that are

scratched or damaged due to normal use; (e) malfunctions resulting from the use of Product

in conjunction or connection with accessories, products, or ancillary/peripheral equipment

not furnished or approved by SAMSUNG; (f) defects or damage from improper testing,

operation, maintenance, installation, service, or adjustment not furnished or approved by

SAMSUNG; (g) defects or damage from external causes such as collision with an object, or

from fire, flooding, sand, dirt, windstorm, lightning, earthquake, or from exposure to weather

conditions, or battery leakage, theft, blown fuse, or improper use of any electrical source; (h)

defects or damage caused by cellular signal reception or transmission, or viruses or other

software problems introduced into the Product; (j) any other acts which are not the fault of SAMSUNG; or (i) Product used or purchased outside the United States. This Limited Warranty

covers batteries only if battery capacity falls below 80% of rated capacity or the battery

leaks, and this Limited Warranty does not cover any battery if (i) the battery has been

charged by a battery charger not specified or approved by SAMSUNG for charging the

battery, (ii) any of the seals on the battery are broken or show evidence of tampering, or (iii)

the battery has been used in equipment other than the SAMSUNG phone for which it is

specified.

What are SAMSUNG's Obligations? During the applicable warranty period, SAMSUNG

will repair or replace, at SAMSUNG's sole option, without charge to Purchaser, any

defective component part of Product. To obtain service under this Limited

Warranty, Purchaser must return Product to an authorized phone service facility in

an adequate container for shipping, accompanied by Purchaser's sales receipt or

comparable substitute proof of sale showing the original date of purchase, the

serial number of Product and the sellers' name and address. To obtain assistance

on where to deliver the Product, call Samsung Customer Care at 1-888-987-4357.

Upon receipt, SAMSUNG will promptly repair or replace the defective Product.

SAMSUNG may, at SAMSUNG's sole option, use rebuilt, reconditioned, or new parts

or components when repairing any Product or replace Product with a rebuilt,

reconditioned or new Product. Repaired/replaced cases, pouches and holsters will

be warranted for a period of ninety (90) days. All other repaired/replaced Product

will be warranted for a period equal to the remainder of the original Limited

Warranty on the original Product or for 90 days, whichever is longer. All replaced

parts, components, boards and equipment shall become the property of SAMSUNG.

If SAMSUNG determines that any Product is not covered by this Limited Warranty,

Purchaser must pay all parts, shipping, and labor charges for the repair or return of

such Product.

this can be found at Samsungs website... http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/sprint-phones/SPH-M900ZKASPR/index.idx?paget...

Journeyman

I just created a Facebook page so that everyone can add their personal stories, videos, and pictures of their experience with this issue.  The email address for the account is Samsung_Moment_Issue@cintwr.com

Cheers.

Journeyman

Glad to see someone getting some light shed on this situation and everything surrounding it.  We might try submitting our story and information to some of the tech blogs out there (engaget, gizmodo, etc...) to see if we can get a little more community support as well.

Journeyman

For those interested in joining the Data lockup facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121045624613806

Message was edited by: vecchp

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat