cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Moment Mutes and Speaker-Phones my calls!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Moment Mutes and Speaker-Phones my calls!

My new Samsung Moment Android has the "Automatic Muting Halfway Through Calls" issue that's discussed in forums that Sprint doesn't acknowledge. (It seems a third of us Moment users hold the phone in a way to make the proximity sensor stop working, and we activate the speaker phone, mute it, dial other numbers......all sorts of interesting Android tricks.)

Can Sprint do something about this? It's killing me...happened during a JOB INTERVIEW!!!! Yeesh.

Have tried aftermarket apps...."Call Caddy" (crashes phone), and another one I can't recall, and I tried going to the home screen when I start a conversation.

Of course, using a headset works, but I don't usually like them. I want to hold up my phone when I talk. Help!

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Moment Mutes and Speaker-Phones my calls!

There is no help.  I called customer service(useless), got a new phone(still have issue), and currently there are no apps to help us.  I have seen and started a couple of threads on this forum - never been addressed by sprint admins.  If you read phone reviews you will see that, yes a ton of users are having the issue, unfortunatly Sprint does not seem to care.

Highlighted

Pay close attention to how you hold the phone to your head.  I had this problem when I first got the phone but have since learned how to hold it properly as to make sure the prox sensor is activated.  I don't think there is any issue with the phone itself...it has to do with how it is held.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the buttons can be removed if you are able to access and hex edit the XML file.  i don't know the rules of this forum, so i won't go into detail...  unfortunately, with an out of the box phone, i don't think you have access to the required files.

i'm sure sprint will make the edit themselves (pretty easy edit).  you don't need to buttons, especially when you can access them with the menu button.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This has just recently happened to me for the first time.   I have had my phone almost 2 months now.   Where is the proximity sensor?   I guess knowing that would help me figure out the correct way to avoid the mute button issue in the future.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

There are 3 tiny dots next to the sprint logo - it is one of those.  I know where it is, still doesn't help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the sensor is on the top left.  Make sure its not covered by a screen protector or shield. This might be why some device users experience their phones muting all the sudden.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

No screen protector, no shield, no case - still doesn't work right for me.  Yes the sensor is on the top left, even knowing where it is doesn't help me much.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I have the same problem with my phone.  I went into the Sprint store, and the manager told me not to touch the phone to my face and I should just use a headset.  Thanks for the help!  NOT!.  I wear a headset in the car, but not when I'm in my house!  Aside from that issue, I love my phone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

You know.. this is really a very LAME suggestion from a Sprint store 'manager'.   Don't touch it to you head, and oh... use a headset.  Come on....

My phone has played this muting game with me, but only 2 times in 2 months now.

But the phone has done something a little weird lately, that is when I pull it from my pocket to see who is calling, the incoming call screen is there for a second, then the phone locks and keeps ringing.   I am not able to answer by pressing the green call answer button, and the screen is blank.   I do not know what is causing the screen to lock, guess I need to experiment with it and find out if the end call button will unlock it without hanging up on the incoming call.

And $&*#!@# last night while charging the thing went into the 'psuedo airplane mode' for the first time since the CL14 update.   It required a reboot to get the signal back.

This is getting OLD.

Highlighted
Journeyman

These device experiences have been reported to the device management team, and will post again when I have more details.  Please refrain from opening duplicate threads in the Community.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've solved the problem! Just sold the Samsung Moment, and bought a cheap used Palm Pre...the speaker is terrible, no one can understand me when I talk, and the keyboard is too small, but it works until I either go with the new iPhone or Sprint gets a new Android phone - soon. The Android proved to be too unreliable. It crashed or muted or otherwise screwed up too many important calls. At least the Pre works every time, even though people have to keep asking me to repeat what I'm saying. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat