cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Moment Sprint Unaware

Journeyman

Samsung Moment Sprint Unaware

I am the proud owner of a new Samsung Moment.  Since purchasing I have run into so many problems that I basically had to figure out by myself.  I have been to the sprint store several times.  I even went to the sprint repair to figure out why I couldn't use my downloaded songs for notification ringers.  I was asked where I got the songs from, my reply the program that came on the phone inside the market.  I was told that the songs might not be formatted correctly.  How could this be?  If there was a problem with the formatting then I wouldn't be able to use them as ringers either.  I had to figure out there was another application on the phone called ringdroid where ALL music was stored when I went in there each song that I had chosen as a ringer for each contact in my phonebook was highlighted green.  When I pressed & held a song not assigned to anything I was given the choice to make it a ringer or notification ringer.  It is just shameful that sprint not only didn't do a good job advertising this phone, I found it when I walked into the store to ask a question about something else.  Sprint also doesn't have well trained techs to answer questions & fix the problems that arise.  I wanted to go back to the repair shop & show him how I did it, but then read that if a person does not have insurance on their phone(s) Sprint makes between $99-$119 per phone, per incident to repair a persons phone.  If Sprint is making that kind of money per phone, per incident then their techs should be better trained.  For all of that I could have just logged onto the sprint forum & asked here how to do it.  I am also still waiting for an update to be sent out by Sprint to resolve the battery issues that the Moment is having.  When in the store they say that this phone is the top seller (keep in mind they are sales people trying to sell a phone).  Anyway, Sprint has great phones and always have, I've been a customer for almost 10 years & have put up with a lot of crap from them b/c their phones are usually HOT, but I don't know anymore.  I'm seeing some pretty hot phones with other carriers now too, so if that is my best reason for staying maybe I should start looking around for another carrier.

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Moment Sprint Unaware

** My folders had to be setup this way to read tags and avoid putting alarms and ringtones into Music lists for stock Music player:

Root of SDCard:
* create folder call it music and put *.mp3s in there for playback and listing in default music app
* create folder called media, under it create a folder called audio, then under it create folders "Alarms", "Notifications" & "ringtones". Use these for those files and they will auto list for you

Journeyman

Thanks for the info.

This works perfect

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is great information, and probably works for any "vanilla" Android 1.5 phone.  Did you discover this through experimentation, or is it documented somewhere?  Just curious.  Thanks for the post.

Journeyman

Just taking time and reading some things when I got it ...

Journeyman

Hello,

I really need help trying to create the folders you mentioned. I have had my phone for a week now and cannot figure out how to create the ringtones from ringdroid. I keep getting an error message saying "unable to write file" and I am assuming it has something to do with the folders you mentioned to create in the dcim folder. Please help me. I have been searching and searching for an answer even e-mailing the creators of ringdroid and now I think I have finally found an answer but I may need more detailed steps if you do not mid. Thanks so much in advance!!

Journeyman

Most problems you are having are not problems with the phones its you not knowing how to do certain things witch can take a minute to learn everything thats why there called smart phones and dumb phones are called dumb phones

Journeyman

No I just found it experimenting.  I was so disturbed when I came from the sprint repair shop where the tech is suppose to know the phones and he didn't that I decided to just start exploring more than I already had.  The book is no help because it doesn't give information like that.  I tried using the index to find related subjects but to no avail.  I usually don't read the books when I get a new phone because I like playing around with my new phones to see what I can discover on my own.  Up until now I felt like a had a high success rate doing that.  This phone was a little more challenging and I am sure as I continue to play I will discover other things, even things I wasn't looking for LOL.  As I do I will continue to start discussions or join other discussions and share what I've learned.

Journeyman

I think zippy is the one that mentioned the folders.  However, if you go to search for "free ringtones for samsung moment" it will give you a list of compatible applictions that will allow you to download ringtones for the moment.  I chose "music search".  Music search will give you 200 searches for free and to date I have not reached that but have downloaded 37 songs, the songs are full songs that you can listen to before saving to your SD card.  Once you've saved to SD Card you can go into ringdroid find the song you want push & hold it will say "Edit" "Delete" push EDIT.  It will take you to this screen where you can alter how much of the song is played you can play with that if you want I didn't.  At the botton of the screen will be this SD Card looking Icon press that and it will list the song in the box and there will be a drop down arrow push the arrow it will ask you if you want to save it as music, alarm, notification or ringtone tap the one you want and you are done.

Hope this helps

Journeyman

Hello,

I did that but I keep getting an error message that says "error writing file". I am now thinking it is because those files have not been created that were mentioned by Zippy. When I look in the files on the sd card there are no folders named ringtone or media, etc. I do have the dcmi folder and I have even put several songs on my sd card that are all saved outside of any folder but I am able to listen to them in Music app. This is so frustrating because I am so used to customizing my phone like in 1 or 2 days but I have now had it for a week and this 1 thing is driving me nuts! Lol... But I love the phone, it is just going to take some getting used to I guess.... If you are able to figure out anything about creating these files please let me know. Thanks for trying to help me!!

Journeyman

AWW I'm sorry.  I know how you feel as I am one who enjoys progamming my phone and fnding as much as I can on it, if not everything without the book or the help of CS.  However, if all else fails go to samsung,com they have a customer service phone # and they can and will help you.  They will literally go get the phone and walk thru step by step with you.  When I purchased the moment I registered online so when I called and took the battery out & gave them the HEX # they knew my name (surprised me).  Even if you haven't registered they should still be able to help you.

Journeyman

Mitsubishi your very cool,  Merry Christmas

Message was edited by: ww2157

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat