cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Moment not reporting correct location

Journeyman

Samsung Moment not reporting correct location

My wife just got the Moment and she has been having problems with location based applications thinking she is in Guangzhou, China.  If I turn on her GPS and she can get connection, it will update her location correctly in Google Maps and show the weather for our town in her weather widget.  But when I turn off her GPS, it goes back to thinking we're in China.  I recently got the HTC Hero and have not had any problems like this.  Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.

107 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Moment not reporting correct location

Had 2 hero's no issue, have 2 moments and they both freak out with GPS at random...I keep seeing myself in Chile SA Celltower Locator is really having issues it shows me connected to a local tower from Chile...not sure whats happening but the GPS and compass very sub par so far in this phone. I'm sick and tired of all the trade offs. Great Screen, cheap guts, OK screen on Hero and great guts but slow proccessor..can't someone build a phone with all the right stuff...is it really that hard???  Oh wait thats the DROID, good thing Big Red is so expensive. So yes to the OP my GPS is acting weird too.

Journeyman

I just messed with a Moment at a Sprint store that thought it was on the western coast of Africa.

Journeyman

i'm having the same issue.  i can't even locate myself on google maps.  it tells me that my current location is temporarily unavailable.  it has been this way since i got my phone on sunday.

i found this article at http://www.smartdevicecentral.com/article/Samsung+Moment+SPHM900+Sprint/245341_1.aspx:

"The Moment's GPS has some issues. Its Android 1.5 OS doesn't support cellular AGPS on CDMA networks, and the satellite GPS had real trouble locking in when I tried it in New York City. I wouldn't recommend this phone for location-based services until an Android 1.6 upgrade comes over the air from Sprint. They didn't give me a time frame for that."

so what exactly does this mean?  so far, both the Google maps and the Locale app will not locate my current position.  however, i was able to use sprint navigation on sunday without a problem.  any ideas?

Message was edited by: emcube

Journeyman

UPDATED:  11/14/2009

Yesterday I took one of the Samsung Moment phones back to the local Best Buy where I bought it for a replacement.  The GPS on the new phone began working as soon as I steped outside of the building.  The lock was quick and the Sprint Navigation worked very well.  After working with Sprint tech support on 3 or 4 occasions they suggested that the original phone was defective.  I am very happy with the phone and the Android OS and how it works with the whole Google environment.  The screen is beautiful and the apps can keep me entertained for hours.  There is always another app to be found that amazes me!

By the way, the other Moment's GPS began working the day after I wrote the original note below.  We do not know why, but it continues to function very well.  I guess the lesson learned is not to buy a phone the first day it is released!

Original Post below:

I bought two Samsung Moment phones on Sunday, November 1, at the local Best Buy store.  Both phones are having trouble with the GPS acting oddly as well.  Most of the time the GPS searches for a signal and no apps which require GPS have worked, except for the Sprint Navigation.  It thinks that I am either in South America, Africa, Croatia, or northern Russia.  Needless to say, it is disappointing.  Best Buy told us that we have 30 days to return them and get another phone or another Moment.  I called Sprint technical support last night, but the fellow was not helpful and not very customer oriented.  In fact, he forwarded our call to Tele-Nav without even saying anything.

My main point in calling was to get Sprint involved and let them know that there is a problem with the GPS and the Samsung Moment.  Under the Sprint phone reviews (up to this time), very few others have commented one way or another regarding the Moment GPS.  I felt that the problem was perhaps more widespread since both of my phones are acting the very same way.  Very few phones were available in the Houston area over the weekend, but more are due to arrive on Thursday of this week at the Best Buy store where I purchased the phones.

Other than the GPS problem, I love the phones so far!

Message was edited by: Droid888

Message was edited by: Droid888

Journeyman

I've discovered the same similar issue on my moment.  I was playing with the GPS settings to see if turning off the sat nav would help with battery life.  Now with it off, my phone is showing me on the island of Japan.  When I turn it back on, I am back in the USA.  Obviously this phone doesn't seem to be able to use cell towers to triangulate positioning well.

Its becoming more and more like the original Iphone is more solid than this, both in battery life and now this GPS positioning issue.  Any idea if this is a string of bad phones or are all Moment's like this?  I don't feel like waiting for Sprint to fix as that could take months or forever.

Journeyman

So it comes down to choose the Android phone with an SMS and Bluetooth bug or choose the one with a GPS bug...gotta love the "Beta" testing being done.

Journeyman

i've spent last year and a half beta testing for Samsung Instinct.

Journeyman

@emcube

You have to make sure that the phone is set to allow it to get location from wireless networks, then it should stop saying that you can't be found and report you to be a continent over from wherever you are (but accurate to within 3000 feet).

Journeyman

yah that makes no diffrence 1.5 isnt  cdma aware and samsung didnt take it as far as htc did in forcing 1.5 to work on cdma. sad really because this gps issue is a deal breaker for me. i am seriously looking towards big red. i will have an android phone and as of now both sprints android phones have fatal flaws that should have never seen release.

Journeyman

I have a similar problem except that I'm not using GPS.  I have the Weather Widget - Donate installed.  This app can update your weather based on your location.  My weather app has me in Haze or in Poland if I use the auto location mode instead of entering my zip code.  Something is broken on the location code.

Journeyman

I've got the same issues.  Im in Puerto Rico yet I get a location in california.    I try google maps but it says location not available.  Sprint nav barely works as it constantly loses signal.  I love the phone but I need Gps.   Anyone think there will be a fix or should I go woth the hero instead?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat