Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Moment to get 2.2?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Moment to get 2.2?

New kid here.

Yes, I realize that I am being very greedy, but has anyone heard whether or not the Samsung Moment will get the upgrade to 2.2 / Froyo? I just upgraded to 2.1 and I am very impressed with it since 1.5 was kinda buggy.

Google's I/O conference was this week and the stuff that I am hearing about 2.2 is pretty outstanding with the tethering, one click updates to apps, etc.

HTC has come out and said that anyone who bought an Android phone in 2010 will likely get the update. Again, I'm a greedy kid and I want this update so anyone with any info, please let me know.

Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Samsung Moment to get 2.2?

Probably won't happen.  2.2 includes flash and the processor in the Moment doesn't meet the requirements for running flash.

Journeyman

That is actually a hard question to answer. Alot of android sites have conflicting answers. The hero and moment actually came out oct/nov 2009 so the htc comment may not apply. But there is hope, adobe said that they are working to integrate flash into 2.2 and they said they will try to get flash 10.1 on the moment and hero but spec wise we may have to settle for flash lite. So going by adobe's statment the moment should get it.

Journeyman

I would like to know where you get your information/source if you read this article smart phones need a processor speed that can support it *minimal speed of 600 mhz and the moment runs off of 800Mhz* and FYI flash is software you don't need hardware of flash.

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?&entry_id=64059 and Degree in Information Technology

I'm quite aware flash is software...but software still has hardware requirements to be able to work.  So going by what you are saying...since Windows 7 is just software, I could run it on an old 386 instead of a Pentium or Athlon based system?

Yes, the Moment has a 800Mhz processor...but that doesn't mean it is faster than a 600MHz Cortex processor or some of the other newer lower clocked processors.  CPU requrements have kept changing.  Originally a Cortex A8 or higher was specified.  Now they say it could work on ARM 11 (what the Moment has) but it hasn't been tested.

There is the possibility of the moment supporting Flash lite if it doesn't support the full version...but no one knows for sure yet what it will support and if Samsung will even bother with the upgrade to it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2359678,00.asp

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/26/flash-10-1-snubbing-non-armv7-android-devices-too

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/flash-10-1-for-android-beta-unveiled-hulu-a-no-show-froyo-now?ici...

Journeyman

Android 2.1 included Live Wallpapers, but that feature wasn't included in the Moment 2.1 update. The Moment's ability or inability to run Flash shouldn't determine whether or not the Moment will get a 2.2 update.

Journeyman

I feel the same way... getting 2.1 was awesome! Almost like getting a  new phone. But the tech world changes fast and most of us want to stay  on the cutting edge. After reading about the improved performance in 2.2  I can't help but wish I had it right now.

I can't help but wonder if both Sprint and Samsung will opt out of upgrading because the "Moment 2" is looming on the horizon... and what a better way to sell it than to prevent anyone with the original Moment from upgrading. Maybe we should all start complaining about it now before it becomes more than just my speculation.

Journeyman

Sorry to burst anyones bubble but the moment can diffenetly handle flash, the hero can not. Also the reason live wallpaper was not included with 2.1 has nothing to do with the moment not being capable of handling it. My friend has live wallpaper on moment live wallpaper  and it runs 10 times better then the nexus live wallpaper. Look on youtube about live wallpaper on nexus one and every single vid shows probs fc's, moment zero probs

These decisions are all about back end deals and what carriers are willing to pay. Say sammy makes a great phone for sprint that can teether or hotspot but sprint says no or does not want to shoulder the cost, sammy could just take it out.

Journeyman

Not likely.  The preinstalled Flash Mobile player in 2.2 will require ARM v7 compatible extensions in CPU devices for the Android platform.  Samsung's Moment, despite being a faster processor than the HTC Hero, is based on the same processor as the original iPhone 3G (NOT 3GS), which is not ARM v7 compatible, just one step down at ARM v6.

Technical Specs: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2063&c=samsung_sph-m900_moment

Processor Specs: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=cpu&id=a6410&c=samsung_s3c6410

Hero missed the boat as well-- The Qualcomm MSM7525 uses ARM v6 extensions as well: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2005&c=sprint_htc_hero_htc_hero_200

While this is one indicator, it's not 100% certain yet.  The final answer largely depends upon decisions made at Google's end.  If Flash player functionality is operator-removable without affecting the rest of the release, perhaps we'll get the update if Sprint is willing to spend the effort on another update after the HTC Evo comes out (I think the Evo update would be prioritized over Moment).  If not (meaning that Flash is a critical part of the 2.2 interface), it looks like 2.1 may be the end of the line for Moment.

But as Yoda would say... "There is another..." http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2383&c=samsung_sph-m910_moment_ii

Journeyman

sorry but not one of you know what you are talking about. period..... the samsung moment is a google experince phone, meaning updates come with it, per google. and second i hear everyone talking about cortex a8 but forget a processor is not all thats needed for a phone that depends on multimedia capability. 3D graphics capability and core speed go hand and hand when it comes to a multimedia experience. the chipset in the samsung moment is one of the best at 3D and 2D acceleration. So bottom line When flash goes Hardware based.... need i say more. People jump ship for things that are new, but all that is new may not always turn out to be awesome in real life usage. 256 of ram is plenty but having 256 mobile ddr ram is like have 1gb. faster memory faster apps graphics etc... the samsung moment is a phone full of power yet to be fully used, which will be used in the months to come. If you own a Google experince phone with google intergrated you need not worry because unless you own a G1 the first google phone you are covered because when google put its name on a device google thinks months if not years ahead on its usage. So updates are not decided by the carrier or the manufacturer, they just have to comply with googles agreement set forth for the device. So stop worrying you made the right choice when you decided to buy a WITH GOOGLE device. Cheers!

Journeyman

I emailed Samsung this morning to see if the Moment will be getting the 2.2 update.  They quickly responded and said:  "Unfortunately, we are unable to  speculate when/if this software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion."

At this point, I'm not sure what to do.  Not having either speed dial or hands-free voice dialing is extremely problematic.  Since Froyo apparently fixes the bluetooth voice dial issue, I would be content to wait for the upgrade.

I am still in the first 30 days of Moment ownership, and am tempted to return it, downgrade my plan, and just get an email-capable phone (like the new Samsung Seek), but one which has speed dial and/or bluetooth voice dial.

Any new information would be appreciated.

Update:  5/27/10

I installed the Dialer One app which let me set up traditional speed dial.  Although I still want bluetooth voice dial, the speed dial function of this free app works well and compensates for the lack of a consistent, functioning bluetooth voice dialer.

Message was edited by: rlbrand

Journeyman

I've only had my Samsung Moment for 6 days. My phone came with 1.5 (cupcake),

I reasearched online and found 2.1 (eclair) and successfully

was able to update my phone. I have live wallpaper that responds to my touch,

3D picture viewer, and some other fun apps. (by learning on my own

how to root my phone) Prior to 2.1 and with

2.1 I have had no issues voice dialing or speed dialing (via favorites),

my bluetooth has no issues and works very well with voice calling whether it

is saying the contacts name or number. The text to speech function in 2.1 is amazingly

clear and works well with texting and internet search..I

also use an app. that converts incoming text messages  to speech when i'm on the move.

I admit not having 10.1 flash is a bit of an inconvenience however

I have laptops etc... so I can survive the inconvenience.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat