cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Timeout does not work when charging or plugged in to USB

Highlighted
Journeyman

Screen Timeout does not work when charging or plugged in to USB

Ever notice this?  My screen timeout is set to 2 minutes. However, when plugged into either USB or the AC/DC charging cable, the screen timeout does not seem to work. When turned off manually it stays off, but when left alone it will stay on indefinitely. This might be related to a prior post that stated that a notification during the night turns on the screen and it does not shut off unless manually shut. Anyone know why the screen timeout would not work when plugged in?  Is this an Android or Moment issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Screen Timeout does not work when charging or plugged in to USB

It is a configuration issue.

To switch that behavior, see "Settings->Applications->Development->Stay Awake" which has the caption "Screen will never sleep while charging"

You also might find the "USB Debugging" setting there useful (and a lot less obvious) if you want to mount the SD card as a standard USB storage device. There's something very wrong with Samsung's USB implementation that makes it not see a USB connection without either that switched on or some special drivers on the computer it is connected to.

Journeyman

Problem Solved . Perfect solution.  I would never have known to look in this particular settings tab. Thanks

Journeyman

I have a similar issue.  Debugging is not enabled and screen always on while charging is also not disabled.  It seems to happen when the phone becomes fully charged.  Once it gets fully charged the screen will turn on and stay that way until I manually shut it off.

Another issue I have been having related to this is as of late when I get a text message the screen will turn on and will not turn off without me manually turning it off.  This causes serious battery issues if I don't see the screen having been turned on for a while.  I cannot figure out how to resolve the issue.

(I do not have the CL14 update and I am using Handcent for text messaging.  The screen on when receiving a text is disabled and so is the pop up.  The only thing I have activated as far as notifications is a notification ringtone.)

Anyone else having similar problems?

Journeyman

I was having the same the issue (not sure if it was a configuration concern).  Nonetheless, the CL14 update did the trick and all is well not.

Journeyman

@billcole

Thank you so much man!!  My phone did not do this before the update, but after, the screen would not shut off while charging.  The update must have set the switch on to stay awake...  Anyway, I was really hating the idea of a hard reset in hopes of fixing this issue.  Especially after getting my phone all set up again after the last update wipe.  Thanks for saving me the hassle!  A+++

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat