cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution for Moment Data Lock Up! (UAM UAD)

Journeyman

Re: Solution for Moment Data Lock Up! (UAM UAD)

Why haven't Sprint or Samsung fixed this issue?  I have only had my Samsung Moment since May and I am about to get the phone replaced for a second time because of the data lock up issue.  It is not a reasonable solution for you to turn off the 3G or the WI-FI on your phone.  Why else did we purchase the smart phone... it was for all of those cool features of surfing the web at lightning speeds and of course being able to place and receive calls.

I am a big fan of the android operating system and actually would be in love with my phone if it wasn't for the fact that I have no idea whether or not my phone is going to lock up on me.  I have to rely on my phone for business and I have missed several calls from clients.  It is not acceptable that so many people have this issue and it is just being swept under the rug....especially with the announcement that the Moment isn't going to receive the FroYo update.  So we all just get to keep footing our monthly bill with a dysfunctional product while Samsung and Sprint get to issue out new devices that we will go running to buy?  I am sorry, but I think that is ridiculous.  We all were sold a malfunctioning product that was never fixed.  The only people who I have run into that have not experienced this problem are the people who purchased their Samsung Moment solely for talking on the telephone.

Sprint/Samsung need to make amends.  This phone should be replaced with a fixed alternative, a better upgrade, or a discount towards exchanging our phone to something that works.  I was suckered into this by the great min/data plan.  But what is the use of a great min/data plan if the phone has a fatal flaw and you are stuck with it.  I hope someone is listening, because this message is going viral.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Excerpt from Samsung's Warranty Page....  See the highlighted texts below.  The phones are defective.  And they are being replaced with more defective phones.  Samsung is not holding up their end of the bargain.  They made a mistake in the phone, that is understandable, but we the user's shouldn't continue to be penalized for that mistake.

Section 1: Warranty Information

Standard Limited Warranty

What is Covered and For How Long?
SAMSUNG TELECOMMUNICATIONS AMERICA, L.P. ("SAMSUNG") warrants to the original purchaser ("Purchaser") that SAMSUNG's Phones and accessories ("Products") are free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for the period commencing upon the date of purchase and continuing for the following specified period of time after that date:

Phone
Batteries
Leather Case/Pouch/Holster
Holster
Other Phone Accessories
1 Year
1 Year
90 Days
90 Days
1 Year

What is Not Covered? This Limited Warranty is conditioned upon proper use of Product by

Purchaser. This Limited Warranty does not cover: (a) defects or damage resulting from

accident, misuse, abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage, exposure to

moisture or dampness, neglect, unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress, or

defects in appearance, cosmetic, decorative or structural items, including framing, and any

non-operative parts unless caused by SAMSUNG; (b) defects or damage resulting from

excessive force or use of a metallic object when pressing on a touch screen; (c) equipment

that has the serial number or the enhancement data code removed, defaced, damaged,

altered or made illegible; (d) any plastic surfaces or other externally exposed parts that are

scratched or damaged due to normal use; (e) malfunctions resulting from the use of Product

in conjunction or connection with accessories, products, or ancillary/peripheral equipment

not furnished or approved by SAMSUNG; (f) defects or damage from improper testing,

operation, maintenance, installation, service, or adjustment not furnished or approved by

SAMSUNG; (g) defects or damage from external causes such as collision with an object, or

from fire, flooding, sand, dirt, windstorm, lightning, earthquake, or from exposure to weather

conditions, or battery leakage, theft, blown fuse, or improper use of any electrical source; (h)

defects or damage caused by cellular signal reception or transmission, or viruses or other

software problems introduced into the Product; (j) any other acts which are not the fault of SAMSUNG; or (i) Product used or purchased outside the United States. This Limited Warranty

covers batteries only if battery capacity falls below 80% of rated capacity or the battery

leaks, and this Limited Warranty does not cover any battery if (i) the battery has been

charged by a battery charger not specified or approved by SAMSUNG for charging the

battery, (ii) any of the seals on the battery are broken or show evidence of tampering, or (iii)

the battery has been used in equipment other than the SAMSUNG phone for which it is

specified.

What are SAMSUNG's Obligations? During the applicable warranty period, SAMSUNG

will repair or replace, at SAMSUNG's sole option, without charge to Purchaser, any

defective component part of Product. To obtain service under this Limited

Warranty, Purchaser must return Product to an authorized phone service facility in

an adequate container for shipping, accompanied by Purchaser's sales receipt or

comparable substitute proof of sale showing the original date of purchase, the

serial number of Product and the sellers' name and address. To obtain assistance

on where to deliver the Product, call Samsung Customer Care at 1-888-987-4357.

Upon receipt, SAMSUNG will promptly repair or replace the defective Product.

SAMSUNG may, at SAMSUNG's sole option, use rebuilt, reconditioned, or new parts

or components when repairing any Product or replace Product with a rebuilt,

reconditioned or new Product. Repaired/replaced cases, pouches and holsters will

be warranted for a period of ninety (90) days. All other repaired/replaced Product

will be warranted for a period equal to the remainder of the original Limited

Warranty on the original Product or for 90 days, whichever is longer. All replaced

parts, components, boards and equipment shall become the property of SAMSUNG.

If SAMSUNG determines that any Product is not covered by this Limited Warranty,

Purchaser must pay all parts, shipping, and labor charges for the repair or return of

such Product.

this can be found at Samsungs website... http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/sprint-phones/SPH-M900ZKASPR/index.idx?paget...

Journeyman

FINALLY - A FIX FOR THIS ONGOING PROBLEM WITH THE MOMENT...

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT TOOK THEM SO LONG TO FIGURE IT OUT, BUT HERE IS THE HIGHLY TECHNICAL SOLUTION

(PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS FIX, IT SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY TRAINED SPRINT TECHNICIANS):

8/30/2010

Thank you for choosing Sprint. In response to your previous email, I
have researched your issue, and it is a known problem with this phone.
There is no actual resolution for the problem at this time, but
continuing to take the battery out and replace it is a way to
temporarily solve the issue until a more permanent resolution becomes
known. If you would like to contact our Technical Support team, they
might be able to assist you further. You could contact our Customer Care
Team at (888) 211-4727  Monday - Friday: 6:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Saturday: 7:00 AM - 11:00 PM Sunday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM and ask them to
transfer you to technical Support.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to address your
concerns. Please reply to this email or visit Sprint.com/mysprint if we
can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Nekia C.
Sprint

**********************************************************************************************************************

Yes, I was on the floor too LMAO

Journeyman

So basicly what does this mean?

Is it going to be replaced?

Is it going to be fixed?

Are we getting our money back?

Are they going to apologize for basicly calling liers?

Journeyman

i got u beat... ive had 7 moments since june19th...still doin the same thing as before.  im thinking im going to have to go over sprints head and see what samsung will do about it

Journeyman

Good luck taz, I have called Samsung and I was told that they have never heard of the problem. I tried a few different times and got the same answer. I hope you get somewhere cause I am sick of not being able to use my phone like it is meant to be used.

Journeyman

I am on my 6th Moment since January, my 3rd since July 2 (roughly 60 days).    About 10 trips in 8 months, 8 trips in 60 days.   COME ONE!!!  None of the phones I have every had worked correctly for more than a few days.   I use WiFi at home to make my email go faster, and make any surfing etc go faster.    Use of WiFi, for me... is what seems to cause the data lockup.    After I leave the range of my WiFi, with it still on, something goes belly up with the regular 3G service (EVDO).    I have missed SO many important calls and text messages and am SO frustrated with Samsung and Sprint.   I have an 11 AM appointment tomorrow at my local Sprint (Virginia Beach) repair center.    These people are, in my opinion, VERY SOLID people and a VERY SOLID sales/management staff.   I only occasionally get BS'd, but they always replace my phone.   They KNOW there is a problem.

I am hoping to get a completely different phone tomorrow since their stated policy to me is 3 phones in under 6 months is what it takes to get a 'comparable' phone to replace the defective one.    If I don't get a replacement, I am going to ask them to turn the clock back to January when I purchased my Moment.   Refund my $299, cancel my 'new' January contract, and put my OLD phone back on the OLD plan.

I will then leave the store and go to either AT&T or Verizon.   I am DONE with my Moment and I am DONE with making trips to the repair center.   I have 4 phones on Sprint.   They will all depart.

My wife's phone is on my plan,  and she is past due for an upgrade and new contract.    I was ready to buy her a new BB Curve, she loves her 2 1/2 year old 8330 Curve..   Just want to replace it with the newer 8530, 5.x OS and she'd be happy.

If the management at that repair center can get creative, and get me into an Epic, that may be their only chance.   They have been very accomodating up till now, lets see where they take this tomorrow.

Journeyman

If anyone is interested in increasing the pressure on Sprint...
call the Executive Services Team (sounds official but not much help).
"Please contact our office at 1-866-727-0665 or (817) 215-3542. available Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Central Time"

Journeyman

And 877-775-4886 and 866-207-7913 are the Sprint 'Retention Team' numbers that have been posted in other threads here on the Community.   I called the 877-775-4896 this morning, they answered on the 2nd ring.   I talked to a young lady who sympathized with my problem, but had not heard of it.   Her personal phone is a Moment, and she's never had a problem.   But she never uses WiFi... so all bets are off, at least in my experience.

I explained my situation, told them I did not want to leave Sprint but that they were forcing my hand in some ways.    The repair center had offered me an HTC Hero or Samsung Intrepid as a  no cost 'comparable' replacement for my Moment.   Ah... no thanks, I think both those are downgrades.

I have two phones on my account, and one was eligible for an upgrade over 6 months ago.   The Sprint Retention team did offer me a $50 account credit if I used that upgrade offer to PURCHASE a new Epic, putting the cost from $249 to $199.   Well... I'd have to think about that.   If they made it $150 credit, I think I would be getting my new Epic loaded instead of typing this email.  

They are supposed to call me back next week to 'check on me'.    I will let them know that this issue would go away if they sweetened their offer just a little more.     I wish they would give me a credit or trade in for the Moment, but that only applies (so I've heard) if you are doing a full retail purchase, and they only give you about $60 for the Moment.   No thanks.

Journeyman

The lady I spoke to, and I give her credit she has returned my call three times in two days, is adament that there is a software fix available at the repair center.  So I asked a very simple question... if there is a software fix, why isn't it listed on their web site, pushed as an OTA, or notice given to registered Momeent owners or posted on these boards that it exists?  She could not answer.

When I brought up that I simply want a different model, her language stiffened and she said no swap would be available.

THIS REALLY GOT ME GOING.

My next question was am I going to be compensated for this headache, for having to waste time and incur expenses to drive to a repair center?  She had no answer for that.

So finally, I asked her that since Sprint knows of this issue, why are these phone still on the marketplace?

She said that this issue is a a manufacturer's problem, not Sprints.  They are simply my service provider.

So when I stated I bought the phone from Sprint, and that Sprint profitted off my purchased, she could not answer except that it was a manufacturer's issue.

But I thought this was a software issue I asked?

no comment

What I want is my purchase price for the Moment refunded in full ($199), and the upgrade credit made available to my account.  It is not my fault (the customers) that they sold a defective product.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.