cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some videos on SD card won't play since 2.1 update

Highlighted
Wizard

Some videos on SD card won't play since 2.1 update

Ever since I've updated to 2.1 (which I've had to do several times now) some videos on my SD card that played before without a problem will not play now. I try to play them and the screen goes blank and locks up. Eventually I can get the screen back on by pressing the end key several times but when I try to unlock the screen it freezes and goes blank again. What's odd is some of the videos that DO play are the exact same file size, encoding, frame rate, etc. For example, one episode of The Simpsons will play but another won't. with some videos it seems to be the more recent ones that don't play but they played before the 2.1 update. I've tried 2 different cards and formatted both, still with no luck. Music files still play fine and pictures display fine too. I'm on my third Moment since March. I updated the last one with 2.1 right before I had to send it back and the vids played fine. Anyone have any ideas where the problem lies? Is it this particular phone? The software? The cards? I can't go two years with a phone that keeps doing things like this and doesn't perform the way it is supposed to. I'm hoping someone from Sprint will actually read this post and give some feedback. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Some videos on SD card won't play since 2.1 update

I have updated my phone from 1.5 to 2.1 on my moment and have not had those problems. I use the purchased program dvd to go and used it to properly encode the file and put it to my sandisk 16gb micro card. It worked prior to upgrade and after. I use the meridian pro software from the market to play my videos. I saved many movies on my phone and had none of those problems.  I had problems with sd cards that were not of good quality, like generic ones.  I hope you can get a solution

Wizard

I've tried some of the same videos on 2 different cards. One is 16 GB and the other is the 2 GB that came with the phone. Same problems with each one so I doubt it is the cards. I've used DVDFab Decrypter to encode some videos and put them on my card and those so far still play. It seems to be the ones that I download that are giving me problems. But the thing is, before I updated and before I got this current Moment a few days ago (it's my third one since March) the exact videos that don't play now DID play then. I don't know what it could be other than the phone somehow. Maybe something with the phones hardware or software (i have no idea) that is supposed to play the correctly formatted videos isn't doing it now for some of them. Whatever it is it's very strange and like I said, I don't want to have to get a different Moment every couple of weeks but I'm not going to spend 2 years on a contract with a phone that doesn't do what it once did and is supposed to do. I use my phone to watch videos more than anything. Even more than talking on it. I doubt the tech guys at the Sprint store can do anything about it other than possibly replace it again, but I'm not going to do that if they just send me another crappy refurbished one like the second one they sent which I had to replace also. And I doubt calling Sprint would help because they will eventually just tell it would have to be replaced too. I want to get a phone and keep it and have it work like it is supposed to. Is that too much to ask? Do Sprint reps actually participate on these boards? Because I really want to hear what they have to say about these issues with my phone.

Wizard

Four days and no replies. Disappointing...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat