cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound issue and "Unwanted Airplane Mode" issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sound issue and "Unwanted Airplane Mode" issue

So I purchased the Samsung Moment about a month ago. I've been looking forward for this phone, and I do enjoy it, minus these two issues that seem to hinder my phone quite a bit.

After browsing these forums for a bit, I've noticed that what I'm about to explain is just copypasta. However, I still want to know what's going on.

1. Call/Data issue

While I'm using my phone (I usually have it happen while using something that uses data), I suddenly have data drop. I see the UP arrow on the data indicator, indicating that I'm sending data, but the DOWN arrow, indicating that I'm receiving data, does not react. When this happens, I try to make a phone call to ANYTHING (Voicemail, house, etc).

The call shows that it's "In progress" like if were in an actual call, but no dial tone or anything can be heard at all.

What's worse is that I cannot hang up this call. The END key now puts the phone in sleep as if I wasn't in a call, and hitting "Menu>End Call" does absolutely nothing.

Thinking this is the "unwanted airplane mode" everyone complains about, I try turning OFF airplane mode. Problem is, it's already off. I try turning it on and off; no result.

A Power Cycle ALWAYS fixes this. However, I shouldn't have to be inconvienced to waste 5 minutes to turn off my phone, turn it back on, wait for it to boot up, and then have a functioning phone. What if I had to make an EMERGENCY call? This is messed up.

(Also, I've noticed this doesn't effect the WiFi mode. So essentially it turns my phone into a WiFi tablet.)

2. Sound Issue

This issue I have, however, I've noticed that not many other users have this issue.

For some reason, during whenever my phone feels like it, the sound will completely bug out. No ringtones, no media, no message sounds, nothing.

The phone's settings show that everything is maxed out, yet I still don't hear anything. Again, I have to usually power cycle for this (however I found a hot fix for this to plug/unplug headphones repeatedly for a quickfix.

The MAJOR issue I have with this is I can't hear when my phone rings or if my alarm goes off. I can't use my phone's alarm because I'm scared my phone will do this in the middle of the night and I won't hear my alarm. I use one of my other gadgets I have for an alarm clock. I shouldn't have to resort to this though.

-------

I've taken my phone once to a Sprint Repair Center. They said they cleaned out the speaker and microphone. I left hesitantly, kinda knowing this wouldn't solve the issue, and on queue, the problems persist (except now the headphone hotfix doesn't seem to work). I plan to return tomorrow.

-------

I absolutely love my Samsung Moment, but these two issues are becoming a pain, and I beleive I should have a phone that at least does it's intended job. I shouldn't have to restart my phone frequently. I should be able to rely on my phone's alarm.

Please please PLEASE, can anyone tell me what's going on here? If I can get these two issues resolved, I'll be perfectly happy. I enjoy everything else about this phone. I've had high hopes for it, and I don't want to be crushed over two silly flaws.

OS information:

Model Number: SPH-M900

Firmware Ver: 2.1-update1

Baseband Ver: S:900.8.05.DE03

Kernel Ver: 2.6.29

Build number:ECLAIR.DE03

Hardware ver:M900.8.0

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Sound issue and "Unwanted Airplane Mode" issue

Right now i am in unwanted airplane mode which is very rare to happen to me but i turn on wifi to see if i could surf the internet and i can. Anything that only needs internet access will still work during unwanted airplane mode.

Journeyman

VorlessDarkChaos wrote:

Right now i am in unwanted airplane mode which is very rare to happen to me but i turn on wifi to see if i could surf the internet and i can. Anything that only needs internet access will still work during unwanted airplane mode.

But i can't make phone calls/text. MAJOR problem.

also lol, the sound messed up AGAIN.

Kewne wrote:

VorlessDarkChaos wrote:

But i can't make phone calls/text. MAJOR problem.

also lol, the sound messed up AGAIN.

Only 2 problems happen to my moment unwanted airplane mode and a problem with the charge which now i got my free replacement from bestbuy.

When did sound mess up start? Maybe one of apps you got from the market could be messing up the sound or something on your memory card?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat