Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Navigation Issues (GPS) with the Samsung Moment

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Navigation Issues (GPS) with the Samsung Moment

Hello,

I continually and repeated have issues with Sprint Navigation on this phone.  Despite my best efforts (holding the phone near the window of my car, updated firmware, prl's, etc.) I continue to experience issues.  A blackberry curve and the samsung moment both running sprint navigation in my area produces the following result : Blackberry navigation works.  Samsung continues to lose signal and sprint navigation has to keep reconnecting.  We have run this "test" numerous times, with both phones in the same car.

Is the Samsung Moment bad?  I do have worst reception than the Blackberry, even when it comes to voice ... but the sprint navigation is not even worth using .... thoughts? advice? feedback?

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Navigation Issues (GPS) with the Samsung Moment

When I first got my Moment the GPS worked fine. Now that I upgraded to 2.1 in April my phone's GPS does not work at all! When I brought my  phone to the sprint store and told them the issue they said that they  did not hear anything about this issue and it was probably just a  problem with the phone when it was flashed. So they had me factory reset  my phone. Which I did, But that did not solve my problem so they had me leave my phone with them for an hour so they could re-flash the phone  and maybe that would help. But when re-flashed it did not solve the  problem. Then another worker said that it was a problem with Samsung  phones in general, but I did not believe that because I was on there  display phone and the GPS worked just fine. They told me to give it some  time and it would eventually work. I went back a month later with my  GPS still not working, they reset the phone again and told me to call  Sprint Corporate. When i got home I gave them a call and i talked to  advance technical support and they told me to get my GPS unit checked on  my phone. So I then made another trip back to the store where they did a  GPS test and they told me it worked perfectly fine. So now i have a  phone that supposedly the GPS works perfectly fine but does not work at  all in reality. And they will not replace it because it passed all the  test. It just really makes me mad that Sprint won't just admit to the problem and send me a replacement phone. If anybody else has this issue be shure to post because this is the only was you will find out what issues there are with these phones.

Journeyman

My gps worked perfect running 1.5. But sprint navi has always sucked even running 1.5. I have always used google maps and has worked great.

After upgrading to 2.1 every so often the gps in google maps shows my location completely wrong. What i do to fix is turn gps off then use a task killer to kill google maps then start google maps again and it automatically turns gps back on, then after these steps it has always shown my location correctly down to 10 feet.

Journeyman

If i did not make it clear in my first post im sorry. The samsung moment has a few issues but it is still a good phone. Better then the hero in my opinion.

SPRINT NAVI SUXS. I do not recomend it to anyone just use ggogle maps it is way easier and 10 times better. The driving directions are way easier to follow and has better routes then sprint navi

Journeyman

The sad part is Sprint and or Samsung refusing to acknowledge any issue.  Prior to getting the Samsung Moment last month I had a Samsung Instinct and the Sprint Navigation worked great.  I used it frequently.  Now it won't work at all on the Moment.  I have to use a Blackberry for work so I carry two phones and it is interesting to see how the Moment can't find my location but the Blackberry is usually within 1/4 of a mile (Not great but better)

Journeyman

Is it the cell signal that is lost or the GPS signal?

I also had problems when I updated to 2.1.  I had both "Use wireless networks" and "Use GPS satellites" enabled after the update.  I disabled "Use wireless networks" and have had no issues with Sprint Navigation on the Moment.

I even used it on a drive through to the coast where there is partial coverage in some places and no cell reception for the last 25 miles.  It worked fine.  Of course the 3d or 2d map automatically switched to turn-by-turn when there was no internet connectivity, but regardless the GPS directed me right to my destination.

Journeyman

I am on my 3rd Moment since the 2.1 update. This phone will not pull a gps signal...sprint nav keeps saying it is updating postion, and never does, and google maps can never get a fix on my location (location temporarily unavailable is what it says). Sprint customer service has been absolutely horrible, not admitting it is a problem, blaming it on me, then they have the gall to say they can't do anything since I have already had 3 replacement phones in 12 months. Replacements because this phone is fatally flawed. The GPS is non-existant in Android 2.1 with the samsung moment. I drove from Dallas to Spokane and I got a signal to lock on 2 times, both in Denver, and for less than 5 minutes each time. Sprint is losing a customer over this, and they can keep this Samsung Moment and do whatever they like. I am DONE. NEVER have I received worse service in my life.

Journeyman

Sprint Navigation has been iffy for me, working about half of the time.  But Google Maps and Navigation have worked great locally and on trips through several states.  I don't even bother trying Sprint Navigation any more.

Journeyman

Used to work great on my Moment...until the Android update was installed.  My wife and I had matching rants until I went with the Moment about a year ago.  Her Rant locks in just fine and my Moment is continually searching for GPS.  She was sitting in the passenger seat right next to me!  I am pretty sure the problem isnt with the phones GPS because google maps works just great.  I just like having the voiced directions.  Sprint nav totally sucks on the updated Android for Samsung Moment.  I love this phone short of two minor inconveniences:  Ther is no external LED to let you know you missed a call or text, and when sending a text message to multiple parties you have to know who you wnat to send it to.  I'd rather be able to pull up the contacts list and select the recipients from the list.  Other than that I could not be happier with this device.

Journeyman

Google Maps Navigation does provide voice directions, but it's more of a computer voice, and I also don't know how you you can get it to repeat a prompt.  (There may be a way - I just don't know it.)

Wizard

It is not an inherent problem with the Moment.  I use Sprint Nav almost everywhere I drive (I have no sense of direction or memory for routes).  I have the Moment with Android 2.1, and both "Use wireless networks" and "Use GPS satellites" are checked in 'Location and security settings".  Nav works very well on my device.  When the map first appears, it usually shows me at the closest tower for literally a second or two, then jumps to my actual location.  My only complaints are the amount of time it sometimes takes to log in, and the sometimes excessive time to sync contacts (why would it sync contacts instead of just reading the contact database?).  Maybe you have a software conflict or a setup issue or a defective device.

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

Journeyman

I need to ammend my post.  I figured out that all this time I have been getting directions based on radio NOT GPS.  COuld also be the reason I have not been getting voice prompts when I was using the other nav services.  Turns out I get anything on this device to work through GPS.  Planning on going to a Sprint store today.  WiIl post what happens.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat