cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Samsung Moment

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Samsung Moment

I'm curious about other peoples views on the Moment Android phone. I personally think the Moment is much better than the Hero. All the screens on the phones look good to me but this one has the Amoled which is supposed to be better than most. It does look nice to me and is nice sized. Has a slideout keyboard. Pictures look good and it has a flash. Faster processor than the Droid. My Moment does have some lag sometimes, but NOT much. Anroid 1.5 seems to work well although Im sure 2.0 would be better. Its been called "Vanilla" because it does not have HTC'S UI Sense. I think having a normal form of Android would be easier to update to a newer version. That said, coming from Windows Mobile phones Android is pretty cool and smooth as it stands.  The number one thing that makes things run fast is Processor, you can add memory and make all kinds of tweaks but overall you have to have the horsepower to push it. Tha Moment has an 800 mhz chip. I don't think there is any Android phone that has a faster one In America.

Now about Sprint in general. For the MONEY I don't see a better way to go financially for a plan. For what you get for what we spend I think Sprint is a good deal. I know Verizon has the better Droid and pretty good network too but in my estimation it would cost about $720.00 more a year per phone to have that Droid 2.0. I cannot justify it in my budget. If money was no object I probably would have switched because I really do like the latest and greatest.  Anything we buy is bested by something newer in just a matter of months nowadays.   

I do not work for Sprint.  I have been done wrong by them in the past. I waited for and bought the HTC Touch Pro. And within no time at all they had a Touch Pro 2 come out which was better and no one ever said a word, but after spending the money and upping my plan for another 2 years I would have had to pay full price for the newer version which was $1100.00 dollars. Just the idea that you have to pay full bore overprice is a crime to me After being a loyal client for many years. So if the Moment does not get the Android 2.0 update as I was told it would when I bought it I  will feel cheated twice by Sprint. But what can you do, switch providers is the only way I see.

Overall I am Happy even Grateful for the Samsung Moment and the Sprint network. There is always something that can be complained about, but to day I just want to do less complaining and be Thankful for what I have.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Samsung Moment

I think Samsung made a mistake in putting an AMOLED screen on this phone and then shipping it with stock Android 1.5. HTC has a gorgeous SenseUI mod on the Hero, and to get anything like that on the Moment requires about $10 in market apps and a great deal of tweaks, and it still lacks any sense of polish. It's like having an exotic sports car but only driving it to the grocery store.

The processor may be faster, and people have said this phone runs faster than other android phones, but there are still several hiccups with this phone and it is unclear as to whether they are caused by the obsolete software/firmware or hardware issues... we'll have to wait for 1.6 or 2.0 to find out, I suppose.

Irrespective of the shortfalls and bugs with this phone, it is still getting generally better praise than the Droid among users who have sampled both and/or bloggers. Droid has a better ad campaign though. (Moment has none!)

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Droid has a better ad campaign though. (Moment has none!)"

Man, me and my brothers were wondering why the Moment was not part of Sprint's Black Friday ad paper this morning.  The Hero, Palm Pre were on it.

I hope we still will get the Android 2.0 regardless someday.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint acts like the Moment is something they are ashamed of, the way the advertising is done. All you hear about actively are the Pre and the Hero, they promote the Hero oveer the Moment in the stores, and if the Moment is shown in a paper ad, it is always shown with the Hero/Pre. Show my phone some love

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do have a question when the update either 1.6 or 2.0 will we be able to update or are we stuck with the 1.5. and if the moment is able to update how will that be done? is it done automatically or do we have to sync it?

Journeyman

I went to another Sprint store yesterday.  I was told 2.0 upgrade would happen in 1Q2010, likely Jan.  I was told quite a few times that it would happen in 1Q2010.  So, I am feeling confident it would happen sometime in 1Q.

I don't see a need for Sprint to rush out something without thurough testing, making sure bugs are identified and fixed before handing it off to consumers.  Sprint is well known for well testing of new software releases before they reach consumers.  Heck, the Droid's 2.0 is good, but I heard it has some major bugs too.  Talking the price for rushing out a new release.

I rather have a new, good tested release than a crappy one, especially 1Q is not that far away.  I wish the Moment would have some small minor releases to fix some obvious bugs from now to 1Q though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I whole heartedly agree with you a well thought out Android 2.0 is the way to go. Being new to Android myself and since the Samsung Moment is a plain or vanilla version of Android. Won't the standard ( if there is such a thing) Android 2.0 go right on to our phones or does each version of Android need to be custom made?  I need to do more searches and studying of the Android system to understand things better.

It is great news to hear 1st quarter of 2010 for an upgrade, that is in line with what I was told when I bought my Samsung Moment.

I have switched from WM after being with them for about 2 years and It took me awhile to catch on to how that phone the "Touch Pro"  worked but the Android system is really pretty easy to use right away. Of course there are a thousand things I want to learn and understand but in general the learning curve is not bad at all.

Thank You for the update news.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat