Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint admins on these threads...

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint admins on these threads...

I have the perfect phone idea! We need the Hero mixed with the Moment. Here's the way it needs to work. The Moment CPU and physical keyboard (at least for me), I think the AMOLED is pretty nice and add flash to the Hero's 5mp camera. This is my first day with the Moment. I had the Hero for about 28 days and if you add those things to the Hero and it's great Sense UI, Facebook integration, easy dialer and group messaging, you would have the perfect phone!

But here's my problems.

So I had the Hero and loved it....except for a few things:

1. I got dust under the screen. How can you ship a phone with this sort of defect?
  2. Sluggish although the MR did speed it up a bit.
  3. The 100% Awake issue. Again, how does this not get discovered?
  4. Text message time being off. This happened already on my Moment today... When is this getting fixed?
  5. Why on earth would Sprint ship these phones with Android 1.5?

Today is day 1 with the Moment and here's my issues so far. Maybe someone can help me answer these?

1. No Facebook integration. Why can't this be part of the Samsung?
  2. Although I see my groups within my contacts when I hit Menu, Edit sync groups - I can't seem to figure out how to send a SMS to one of these groups. Anyone know how to do it?
  3. What's the deal with the battery? And then it sits at 15% for a long time...
  4. GPS seems to work fine for me but I don't know what aGPS means?? So I don't know if that doesn't work for me or not since I have seen people say that's the problem.
  5. There's a folder for All Pictures and it's got Album photos from my music but also the graphics from things like the Sprint Navigation, etc. What is that all about? It's says I have 479 pics when in reality, I only have about 100 on my sd card...
  6. It hasn't happened...yet, but what's the situation with the Airplane Mode bug? When are they gonna release an update for the Moment?
  7. And how can I get a dialer like on the Hero? Any good suggestions from the market? Why is there no speed dial?

UPDATE - Found a dialer called SuperDial that works pretty much just like the Hero where you can start to type someone's name and it brings up matches. Also a group SMS app called Contacts GroupU or is there a built in group SMS? Also, still looking for a Speed Dial.

Thanks for any responses and I hope Sarah stops by and gives some info!

Message was edited by: Sho'nuff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Sprint admins on these threads...

Sho'nuff wrote:

BTW - the backlight on the keybaord goes off and then I will hit a key and it won't come back on. The battery was low when this was happening so hopefully that was it? And is there a way to keep backlight lit and not shut off?

Yes, it was because of the low battery.  When the battery reading drops below 15%, the phone goes into a power save mode and you can't take it out of it wihout hooking up a charger (USB or wall).  There may be a way to prevent the backlighting from going off while the phone is above 15%, but I haven't figured it out yet.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Wizard

Sho'nuff wrote:

Today is day 1 with the Moment and here's my issues so far. Maybe someone can help me answer these?

1. No Facebook integration. Why can't this be part of the Samsung?
  2. Although I see my groups within my contacts when I hit Menu, Edit sync groups - I can't seem to figure out how to send a SMS to one of these groups. Anyone know how to do it?
  3. What's the deal with the battery? And then it sits at 15% for a long time...
  4. GPS seems to work fine for me but I don't know what aGPS means?? So I don't know if that doesn't work for me or not since I have seen people say that's the problem.
  5. There's a folder for All Pictures and it's got Album photos from my music but also the graphics from things like the Sprint Navigation, etc. What is that all about? It's says I have 479 pics when in reality, I only have about 100 on my sd card...
  6. It hasn't happened...yet, but what's the situation with the Airplane Mode bug? When are they gonna release an update for the Moment?
  7. And how can I get a dialer like on the Hero? Any good suggestions from the market? Why is there no speed dial?

UPDATE - Found a dialer called SuperDial that works pretty much just like the Hero where you can start to type someone's name and it brings up matches. Also a group SMS app called Contacts GroupU or is there a built in group SMS? Also, still looking for a Speed Dial.

Well,

1. I'm glad it doesn't come with Fb integration - I hate phones - or computers for that matter, that come loaded with a bunch of stuff instead of letting me custimze with my own.  I use the Bloo (beta is free) Fb app, and it's fantastic.
  2. Go to Messaging (if you are using the messaging app that comes bundled) - choose compose.  In the to field, start typing the name of your group and it will appear in a drop down list.  Tap it and your group will be selected. Personally, I prefer the HandcentSMS app.  It makes things much easier with a little + button when you compose a new message that lets you go through your contacts and pick whomever or whatever group you want.
  3. The battery reader is messed up.  Let the battery drain all the way and let it force a shutdown on the phone.  Then recharge the battery with the phone off.  Do this just once and the reading will improve.  There's no real issue with the battery, like you point out, it sits at 15% for hours even with heavy use.
  4. aGPS (which I assume stands for approximate GPS) is the option under your location that says "use wireless networks" to approximate your location.  When GPS is not available (say inside a building) but your wireless signal is, your approximate position can be "triangulated" but the position of the cell phone tower your phone is getting its signal from and the strength of it, as well as other networks.  It's not accurate to street level, but generally within a few 100 feet radius or so.
  5. Download the Astro file manager and move the pictures to a new folder.
  6. The airplane mode issue does not seem to be that frequent.  If you have it, take it to a local sprint store and they will take care of it for you.

Hope that helps. 🙂

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks yfan for the response.

1. Does the Bloo let you use the FB pictures for your contacts like on the Hero then? I hear you on pre-loaded stuff but the FB integration on the Hero that wasn't there unless you wanted it there. I just want the "option" of it. It's a very cool feature.
  2. That was the first thing I tried but it doesn't work. I type the group name and it doesn't apear... I used Handcent on the Hero, so I may just go back to that one since it does have some cool features including Speak to Text!
  3. Yeah did the battery drain last night. I hope that helps.
  4. Got you, thanks. I don't really use those features unless I am outside anyway.
  5. Astro eh? Seems weird that you have to DL something to move all these pics.
  6. Today is only day 2 and no Airplane mode for me yet. I hope it stays that way...
Highlighted
Wizard

I don't know if you can use their Facebook pictures, but there is a Merge Contact option for contacts that are not already in your Contacts, and for those that are, you can directly call or text them form the Bloo interface.

Well, I'm not the biggest expert on files.  I don't use my phone for a lot of files, and hardly ever take pictures on it (unless I'm taking a picture to immediately upload to Facebook or in the case of a fender bender, that).  When I take trips, I never forget my trusty camera.  My primary and extensive use of the phone is, well, as a phone, extensive data (web, email, videos, news) use and a good bit of texting.

Journeyman

1.  The Moment is about as "stock" android as it gets...Samsung produced the hardware, but didn't seem to spend a lot of the time on doing things like fixing aGPS or overlaying a more user-friendly UI with facebook integration.  I've found an app on the market that syncs pictures to contacts - but other than that my only facebook integration is via the facebook app/widget.  I'm hoping that better apps will appear on the market for integration as android gets more popular.

2.  ....never needed to try.  I'm sure 3rd party apps will allow you to create SMS groups.

3.  Known issue - community has reported it can be improved via battery training.  There is threads on here and other android sites discussing strategy...but i could summarize what i've seen with 1> completely drain battery to where the phone won't power on 2> charge with wall - remove for a few hours 3> charge to 100% with USB cable 4> repeat a few times

4.  Haven't personally seen this on mine.  Might try using a different SMS client (Chomp / Handcent) - but this could be a network problem

5.  Time to market is always important...and they could have been faced with waiting several more months to put out 1.6 handsets.  I don't know the facts, but i wouldn't doubt it had something to do with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

1.  The Moment is about as "stock" android as it gets...Samsung produced the hardware, but didn't seem to spend a lot of the time on doing things like fixing aGPS or overlaying a more user-friendly UI with facebook integration.  I've found an app on the market that syncs pictures to contacts - but other than that my only facebook integration is via the facebook app/widget.  I'm hoping that better apps will appear on the market for integration as android gets more popular.

2.  ....never needed to try.  I'm sure 3rd party apps will allow you to create SMS groups.

3.  Known issue - community has reported it can be improved via battery training.  There is threads on here and other android sites discussing strategy...but i could summarize what i've seen with 1> completely drain battery to where the phone won't power on 2> charge with wall - remove for a few hours 3> charge to 100% with USB cable 4> repeat a few times

4.  Haven't personally seen this on mine.  Might try using a different SMS client (Chomp / Handcent) - but this could be a network problem

5.  Time to market is always important...and they could have been faced with waiting several more months to put out 1.6 handsets.  I don't know the facts, but i wouldn't doubt it had something to do with it.

Thanks abstract. Yeah, I get the stock android, I guess I just thought the FB integration was very cool and easy to use. I'm sure something will come along too.

Yeah, Handcent is the way to go at least IMO. I've never tried Chomp, but I installed Handcent today and will be using that as my default SMS. It also makes sending pics real easy as it will re-size them for you and send the MMS. As far as the timing being off, it was still wrong even using Handcent on my Hero. I will see if it does this with my Moment.

I did read that too about re-charging with the USB to the computer so I will do that when I get home today.

I understand getting it out there but Driod came out like 2 weeks later with 2.0?

Anyway, so far I'm not sure yet. I really liked the Hero but the faster processor, keyboard and a couple other things on the Moment make me wish they could be combined ha! I would have actually kept the Hero though, but 3 weeks into owning it, I had dust under the screen. So, I will use the Moment and hope it grows on me more...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Motorola and Verizon had the luxury of developing 2.0 in secret - the source code was officially released to the rest of the world on 11/14.  Why 1.6 wasn't part of the initial release...i don't know, but would suspect had something to do with timing.

I'm with you though.  The hero is a lot more "polished" as handsets go...but i'm banking on most of the shortfalls of the moment being software, not hardware related.  Software can always be updated...either officially, or unofficially.  The HW should be mostly future-proof until "The Next Big Thing" hits i think.

So far i've given it one good drop, and it came out allright.  that's a plus

Highlighted
Journeyman

aBsTRaCt wrote:

Motorola and Verizon had the luxury of developing 2.0 in secret - the source code was officially released to the rest of the world on 11/14.  Why 1.6 wasn't part of the initial release...i don't know, but would suspect had something to do with timing.

I'm with you though.  The hero is a lot more "polished" as handsets go...but i'm banking on most of the shortfalls of the moment being software, not hardware related.  Software can always be updated...either officially, or unofficially.  The HW should be mostly future-proof until "The Next Big Thing" hits i think.

So far i've given it one good drop, and it came out allright.  that's a plus

Haha, I hope to God I don't drop this phone! I don't know but I am getting the feeling I may go back to the Hero... But then the speed of this phone and the keyboard make me not want to.

BTW - the backlight on the keybaord goes off and then I will hit a key and it won't come back on. The battery was low when this was happening so hopefully that was it? And is there a way to keep backlight lit and not shut off?

Highlighted
Wizard

Sho'nuff wrote:

Yes, it was because of the low battery.  When the battery reading drops below 15%, the phone goes into a power save mode and you can't take it out of it wihout hooking up a charger (USB or wall).  There may be a way to prevent the backlighting from going off while the phone is above 15%, but I haven't figured it out yet.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

yfan wrote:

Sho'nuff wrote:

Yeah, I had a Touch Pro and it took a tweak to get the backlight to stay on. Hopefully there is a way or an app will come out...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know your post is old and I dont know if you had trouble with airplane mode (i hope u havent) but I just wanted to clear up a reply to ur post. Someone stated that this is a rare problem and I just want to say its not! I had this problem with my phone going into airplane mode and not being able to make calls. I researched it and found pages of complaints about this. If u are reading this and having this problem, make a complaint so sprint will come out with an upgrade! And if they have an update or anyone has advice please let me know! I powercycled my phone and its been working so far but thats only been an hour and everyone else said that it kept reoccurring. Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The CL14 update seems to fix this airplane issue so check to besure you have that version first.  If you do not have cl14 take it to a repair center or download the update.  The link is now available on the sprint site

Message was edited by: GeorgeOTC

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat