cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still can't connect to android marketplace or any google services

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still can't connect to android marketplace or any google services

I just got this phone today and tried to get in the android marketplace before i was out of the sprint store but it wouldnt let me in. Just gave me the error message: Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. The very helpful salesman dismissed it with "It may take a while for all of the services to switch over".

At this point 12 hours later I am wondering if maybe he forgot a step in the activation process. So far I can call, text, browse the internet, watch sprint tv (although I dont think i'll be doing a lot of it), watch youtube, use google maps, and use the amazon mp3 store... but I'm not able to use gmail or the android marketplace. Also the phone doesn't have access to my location for some reason.

Basically I am wondering if anyone else has had a situation like this and what they did to remedy it.

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Still can't connect to android marketplace or any google services

Market is tied to your Google account...

Any chance you botched your username or password when entering it?

Maybe a leading space that you can't "see", or a trailing one?

Journeyman

I'm sure i have my account details right, i used them to setup the regular email app on the phone to pull from my gmail account, also in the web browser to login to youtube.

It's the fact that it fails with the Connection Error every time and also says it can't determine my location that makes me think there was a hiccup somewhere.

Journeyman

If you go into Settings, Location Settings, are the checkboxes checked to enable location info?

Have you tried going into Settings, System updates, and tried "Update profile" and "Update PRL" to get the newest PRL  ?

Message was edited by: bkfist

Journeyman

yea the location is turned on (was before i posted) and attempting an update yields the error message "network error" "Connection Error"

edit: i tried it one more time to make sure i got the error message right.

Message was edited by: rennat

Wizard

The Android Market Help forum has several threads reporting similar issues and it doesn't seem to be carrier or handset related.  Looks like a factory reset clears up the problem for most folks, but that means you'll have to re=enter contacts etc.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=1a743e9b86168207&hl=en

Journeyman

Thanks! that got it working

Journeyman

How do you do a hard reset on the samsung moment?  I see it suggested on the other thread to go to > settings > security > factory data reset

- but mine doesn't have that.  And the home - end - back buttons at the same time don't do it for me either.

Thanks.

Wizard

Resetting the device restores all the factory defaults,including the ringer types and display settings. All data, including downloaded applications are deleted.

Important: Back up your important data before you perform a factory reset of the device.

1. Press > and tap > SD card & phone storage > Factory data reset. (You will see a disclaimer.)
2. Read the disclaimer and tap Reset phone.
3. If required, draw your unlock pattern to confirm the reset process.
4. If you are certain that you would like to restore all factory settings, tap Erase everything.

Important: Only third-party applications can be uninstalled. Applications preinstalled on the device can not be removed.

Important: Back up your important data before you perform a factory reset of the device.

Journeyman

I was having this same problem, tried calling Customer Care but was on hold for awhile.  Came to this forum, read the "tip" about resetting the factory settings, and after doing it my phone synched with google in about 5 seconds, including all of my contacts and my calendar that's shared with my husband (eyebeam).

Thanks for the help!

Journeyman

I just got my samsung moment yesterday and I was in the car on the way home and thought what the heck i'll see if I can get online any stuff but NOOOOO I get some kind of error that I dont have a reliable data connection. The only way to get online on my phone is if i only have wifi turned on which is no good and im out and need to access the web for a phone number or whatever it is. The first rep told me from sprint that I need to take it into a sprint store and have them look at it and that the phone could be deffective and they will exchange it for a new one. The second one told me oh well you have to leave wifi turned on because its a wifi phone. So before I do anything I wanna know if there is something I can do on my own. I tried to factory reset thing but that didn't work. I can't update my profile or prl either. anyone have any suggestions for me before I decide to take it back for a new one??

Journeyman

I dont have connectivity issues with Google or market place, but I do experience the issue with updating my profile and prl settings. The only thing that works for me is powering off and back on my phone, then trying the update again. Doesn't always make the connection the first try, but I seem to have better luck connecting after a reboot.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat