cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This phone is great except for calls..and isn't that what it for???

Journeyman

This phone is great except for calls..and isn't that what it for???

Ok I am on my second Moment.  First one I had the problem that my screen wouldn't lock while on a call.  I was always muting the call or face dialing or opening apps.  I was told this was an isolated issue and that I probally just had a bad phone.  This new phone does the same and twice it has gotten stuck on a call where I can't hang up or do anything with the phone.  I have to pull the battery to end this limbo it goes into  - WTF, it is a phone after all.  I don't know what to do???  Do you think updates will fix these problems?

And don't even get me started on the airplane mode - it has happened several times to me also.

Message was edited by: maryinsouthie

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: This phone is great except for calls..and isn't that what it for???

Ugh, I've also had the airplane mode problem once already and I've only had my phone a week and a half. I'm not having any problems with facedialing or anything though (and before I cleaned my screen I had the gross face oils on the phone to prove that my cheeks are always touching the screen lol) so it's possible that it is an isolated incident and maybe you've had two defective phones. My boyfriend had to go through three Droids (he has Verizon obv) before he got one that wasn't buggy.

Journeyman

I totally agree. I have only had the Moment for a few days, and I'm having major issues with it. I love all the features, but they are completely inconsistent and confusing. There is no logic in the arrangement of menus or the selection of funtions/actions within them. (File managers that are useless, no access to sd card contents, no way to end an app or function without using back button 20 times or downloading a app task killer, and the MOST ANNOYING ISSUE - the Samsung Moment is a phone, right???? At the very least I would expect THAT function to work without too many bugs or fixes. My cheek, hair, earrings, pocket, whatever, are CONSTANTLY hanging up on people, calling people, muting, putting people on hold for 3 way conversations, putting them on speaker phone, returning a call while I am trying to listen to a voicemail . . .the list is endless (I guess I'm lucky I'm not having the airplane mode issue . . .yet) . . .and my patience is wearing thin.  Everyone keeps talking about this proximity sensor that is supposed to 'turn off' your screen while on a call. Evidently mine does not work properly, and apparently several hundred (maybe thousands) others according to this and many other message boards. I do not think it is an isolated incident. So far I have yet to hear of a fix, or an app that will stop that from happening. Touchscreens are not that new, this model of phone is not that new, this is BASIC stuff. At the very least there should be something to stop your face from pushing buttons. I am really starting to have buyers remorse. I seriously doubt my phone (and hundred of other peoples) is 'defective'. Maybe I should go back to my trusty old flip phone for phone calls and my laptop for internet, because this "smartphone' is failing kindergarten as far as I am concerned.   Two cans and a string are starting to appeal to me more and more!

Message was edited by: rockgigdiva

Journeyman

What you are complaining about is not the phone, but OS.  The Moment runs the purest version of the Android OS that sprint offers (the HTC has its own custom UI on top of the Android Kernel).  For this reason, if you want easier to use and still within the first 30 days, go back and get the Hero.  Otherwise, there is a learning curve and its unlike any other phone OS to date.

Journeyman

I too had the problem of face dialing. I guess my screen doesn't always deactivate while in a call. I had to be very careful I didn't, out of habit, hold my fone against my cheek. I solved that by using the stereo headset that came with the Moment, and putting the phone in my pocket, or setting in down.The only problem with the headset is it is uncomfortable, and aftermarket earbuds with silicone tips are unavailable.

As far as airplane mode, yes that has happened twice, and I have had my phone for less than 3 weeks. I am waiting on the maintenance upgrade to be able to download and install myself, since the nearest company store is 3 hours away. The 3 local stores are not company owned in Central Illinois.

Message was edited by: gbrinner

Journeyman

I'm having the same issues. I've hung up on people, started a 3 way call,

Launched the music app, Etc... all while on a call when the screen is supposed to be deactivated.

I'm frustrated with it but thought it was my problem as this is the 1st "smart phone" I've ever had.

Obviously a phone issue.  I hope it can be fixed.

Journeyman

I too am on my second Moment.  The first wouldn't send text mesages properly and the battery life was awful.  Turned out my first Moment was an old build (CJ05 rather than CL14).  Sprint never figured it out - it was up to me to do the research, identify the issue, and explain the problem to Sprint to get the phone replaced.  Should I really have to do this as the customer???  Really???

As far as the phone not hanging up after a call - that is now happening on my second Moment.   The only way to end the call it is to remove the battery.  You'll also notice that when you can't hang up there are no signal bars showing.  However, it you put another Sprint phone next to it, the other phone will have a good signal.  If you call Sprint, they only want to do a hard reset of your phone (and loose all of your ppersonal and contact data).

After all these issues, I'm pretty sure that Sprint has no idea how to support this phone.

Come on Sprint - it time to step up your game...

Journeyman

ertaylor wrote:

As far as the phone not hanging up after a call - that is now happening on my second Moment.

That's because 99% of the problems with the Moment are software related.  You can keep trading in the phone for a new one, but you'll end up with all the same problems until they get the next update out.

Journeyman

I am on CL14 and have had to remove the battery 3 times in order to End a Call.

The pattern seems to be, Connecting to Internet stops working.  Then if you place a call, the call goes out and the other person gets an incoming call.  But I hear nothing, the Call doesn't connect all the way, and then I am unable to end the call.

I can go to the home screen and navigate to other places but the call still continues and the only way I have to end it is to pull the battery  Once I restart the phone it seems to be okay.

When my phone boots up I do see a message that some android.voice process had to force close.

Any ideas about this?  Anyone else seeing this?  If it is not that common then I may try swapping out phones. Or going to the hero if it is a common thing with the Moment.

Journeyman

I too have the CL14 update and still get stuck in call limbo occasionally.  Only way to end the call is to pull the battery.  I also wished they fixed the proximity sensor with the update because I am still muting, putting people on speaker, or opening apps.  These issues must be adressed also, I was hoping for a fix, but honestly I have not seen this addressed by any sprint employee yet.  I called a couple of times but the person on the other end truely had no idea what they were doing - it was like talking to my 3 year old son.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat