cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off display after using

Highlighted
Journeyman

Turn off display after using

Does anyone know how to turn off the display after using the phone?  I thought pressing the red button was how you do it, but it doesn't work.  After I use it, I end up pocket dialing people or changing settings accidentally.  I enabled the screen pattern unlock thinking that would help, but it didn't.  Is my phone broken or am I just doing it wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Turn off display after using

Maybe you're red/green colorblind? (It's the button on the right  )  A short press on the right physical power/end button should shut down your screen, and a second press should bring up your unlock screen. 

Does the button do anything?  Does pressing it end calls?  Does a long press bring up power options (sound/airplane/power off)?   Do you have 2.1, which added the unlock slider?

Since I use my phone as an mp3 player while biking, and a phone call will wake up the screen and leave you in the call log, I've managed to pocket dial once and change The Wife's ringtone (what a weird, random series of button mashing that must have been).

Journeyman

No, not colorblind...I don't see any brown buttons.  Anyway, yes, the button performs some functions like ending calls, waking the screen up, and taking me back to my start or home page when I'm using applications.  It doesn't turn off the display after using the phone, though.  So, I can press it once and the screen wakes up and I get the unlock screen.  If I press it again, it does turn off the screen if I haven't pressed menu and put in the unlock code.  What I want is to be able to end a phone call or application and press a button or sequence that immediately shuts down the screen.

Journeyman

Hello

My girlfreind had this problem. No matter what u are doing if u are in a app or on one of the three homescreens pressing the red end button on the right should turn the screen off. This problem happens alot with android phones. Downloading a app is most likely the source, it some how messes up the end button turning the screen off. Download the app "spare parts" from the market this app has a few hidden options and one of them will restore the red end button to screen off function.

hope this helps

Message was edited by: barker005

Journeyman

that did it  thanks for the info1

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat