cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install DE03 update - unknown USB device

Journeyman

Unable to install DE03 update - unknown USB device

I followed all the instructions for DE03 and only have the new Samsung USB drivers installed.

After I put the phone in download mode and connect the USB cable, Windows says that an unknown USB device is connected.  My PC is running Windows XP Pro, SP3.

When I look in device manager it says the driver is Microsoft, 7/1/2001, v5.1.2600.0.  Device details show instance ID USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\4&2F0A65B&0&2.  I read somewhere else that the issue may have to do with the VID and PID being 0000.

Any help would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Wizard

Re: Unable to install DE03 update - unknown USB device

hatlas wrote:

I followed all the instructions for DE03 and only have the new Samsung USB drivers installed...

Try removing all Samsung drivers from your computer, reboot the computer, then follow the rest of the upgrade instructions.

From the official upgrade instructions:

"NOTE: Remove all previously installed Samsung New PC Studio and Samsung Drivers before installing this software update tool: Previously
installed Samsung New PC Studio and Samsung Drivers may interfere with the software upgrade. Please remove them before installing the
Software Upgrade tool."

The upgrade installation apparently installs the drivers it needs the first time the phone is connected in download mode.

Journeyman

I have followed the instructions and removed any old drivers.  As part of the DE03 update/installer (not the first connection in dowload mode), Samsung mobile USB driver v5.2.0.0 is installed on my PC.

I put the phone in download mode and connect (when the software tells me to), and I get the unknown USB device error.

Journeyman

I have the same problem stuck on the downloading screen (on the phone).

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

Windows 7 Home Premium

SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phone V5.2.0.0

Journeyman

Journeyman

Following the advice of someone in a different thread, I followed all the instructions until I got to the first "volume down-camera-end" key combo. I substituted that with "call-select-end" (select is the button under the optical joystick). This brought me to the factory self-test screen, at which point I plugged in the phone and selected "USB" from the list. This started the driver install process on the computer, and the Samsung Flash installer let me proceed to the second "volume down-camera-end"combo and plugged in the phone again. Which did nothing. The computer didn't recognize it.

Combined with the fact that many people can't get the installer to work on multiple computers, this seems to be an issue with the phone rather than the computer. Is there an alternate method of Flashing the firmware? Are there people who used the CL14 flasher successfully before but now can't use the DE03 flasher on the same phone?

Journeyman

I tried downloading the Windows USB drivers listed on that page, but they are no longer available.  In another discussion, someone mentioned that USB 2.0 might be required.  If this is the case, I don't have any PCs with USB 2.0.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think I had a snag or two like this and I unplugged the usb from the phone and plugged it in again and then it recognized it.

Journeyman

I've tried 2 desktops and 2 laptops all running XP SP2 and still can't connect my Moment to flash. I've removed any Samsung drivers from one desktop and the other 3 never had Samsung drivers.

The drivers for the new DE03 and CL14 seem to be the same.I tried both upgraders.

I'm still trying to troubleshoot the issue but getting annoyed.

Have to find the common driver conflict with people that can't connect to flash. Sprint has yet to answer my email.

Journeyman

When/if you hear back from Sprint, please post here.    Also, any chance your PC(s) don't have USB 2.0 ports?  I tried on two different PCs (one of which never had any Samsung software installed) and I get the unknown USB device error on both.

I have still had no luck.  I tried uninstalling all old drivers, cleaning the registry manually, trying the June Fabrics Samsung drivers, etc., etc., but no dice on getting my Moment recognized by my PC when it is in download mode!

Journeyman

I continued to troubleshoot once I got to work today. I'm in IT so I have a very large IT Configuration Lab at my disposal. I had a brand new Dell desktop with a fresh XP install I planned on using for the DE03 update. Once I installed the upgrader and connected the Moment it worked. Took all of 102 seconds for the flash. The desktop I was using was absolutely clean with no 3rd party drivers installed.

All the laptops and desktops I used have USB 2.0. Obviously Samsung/Sprint/Google is ignoring the driver conflict issue. They can't foresee ALL driver conflicts but they should at least respond to my emails.

I will post if/when Sprint responds to my emails. GL to all of you.

Journeyman

asianfedsouthernbred wrote:

...Obviously Samsung/Sprint/Google is ignoring the driver conflict issue. They can't foresee ALL driver conflicts but they should at least respond to my emails.

Samsung, at least, replies occasionally to emails.  Here's their response to my inquiry about my Windows 7 Ultimate driver issue.  (I ended up installing 2.1 from my work XP machine.)

Thank you for your inquiry.   While Samsung does not support the use of our handsets in conjunction with the Windows 7  64-bit operating system at this time, should your PC have the 32-bit version of this OS,  the drivers within PC Studio may work on Windows 7 32-bit.  Unfortunately, Samsung does not  currently offer drivers compatible with a 64-bit operating system.  We are unable to speculate when/if this would be available.  We apologize for any inconvenience  this may present.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat