cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update or not?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Update or not?

Ok Sprint whats the official word..its been long enough to know something will the Moment get a OS upgrade or not? All the issues with this phone would be corrected with 1.6+ so whats the deal???

127 REPLIES 127
Highlighted
Journeyman

Str8Krazy has a good point there. Now I am not a lawyer, but I am married to one (my wife is a prosecutor), and I did run this by her, and she confirms that it is indeed a setting for a nasty lawsuit if something goes wrong. And not only a Civil lawsuit, but in her opinion it would possibly be a case for a Criminal Lawsuit (depending on the prosecutor in the area it would have happened) as well. So yea, I hope for the sake of Sprint that this issue is brought up the food chain and fixes implemented a s a p.

Again, just me 25 cents on the matter.

/CMH

Highlighted
Journeyman

" Sprint will test it for compliance but will not be authoring the update." Hmm umm that didnt seem to go very well on the first release so I'm not holding my breath. My family and I will be changing to Big Red at the end of the month, I have been with sprint for over 7 years and have always had a monthly bill well over 150 dollars a month it just burns me that Sprint has decided not to say anything about fixing devices they should have never released. I have been watching the Droid forums and it has some issues as well but with over 100k sold in the first week along I see nothing that is a deal breaking issue like on BOTH of Sprints Android phones...to bad...on another note I by no means believe Sarah or wengla02 are to blame and I understand they are the messenger

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree Sarah and Wengla02 are not to blame for the problems. I also know that the upper echelon in large Telco's have themselves so surrounded by YES men that they hardly ever see the true picture of things. I don't know why they feel the need to be so secret about everything. I really hope Sprint does fix this soon. I have been mostly happy with their service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

'Not a Huge Jump'

The difference between versions 1.5 and 2.0 of Android is "not a huge jump," Chris Hazelton, research director for mobile and wireless with the 451 Group, told LinuxInsider.

Google worked specifically with Motorola to provide an early version of Android 2.0 for use in the Droid's development, which likely took between 12 and 18 months, Hazelton noted.

That's a telling point in the Linux world, he pointed out, since Google's decision to provide such preferential access is "not in the spirit of open source."

Meanwhile, there are rumors that a Korean manufacturer -- either Samsung or LG -- may now be working with Google in the same manner Motorola did for the creation of an Android 2.0-based device, Hazelton said.

Source Link:

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/68656.html?wlc=1258422401

Highlighted
Journeyman

For me its not the "Jump" its the functionality of the OS with CDMA, 1.5 is a joke with no aGPS and some other weirdness that I know is the fact that CDMA isnt really supported..heck I would be happy with a 1.6 update for a long while to be honest

Highlighted
Journeyman

so we are not getting an update or we are? so confusing it shouldn't be that hard this isnt a windows phone im not sure if sprint thought it was and they drop a phone and say goodbye. tmobile is working on sending out 2.0 on there mytouch they are very good about that. i had the g1 and .1 version updates were sent out in a timely manner. sprint keeps saying well its up to samsung we dont know. for all we know no update blame samsung!?! its a joke!!! get it together and get this phone up to date already.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Hero got their MR today and still NOTHING about the Moment, so lets see HTC said they WILL release 2.0 on the Hero and they are working on it but to have patience then they said they would be releaseing a MR soon hopefully in the next couple weeks and BAM it dropped today..I am blown away by the lack of response from Sprint/Samsung it a joke all the info we got about the Hero was direct from HTC...so kudos to HTC

Message was edited by: azleatherneck

Highlighted
Journeyman

Couple of points I'd like to make.

The first being that the Hero launched Oct 9th. So that MR was well over a month after release. Can you see where Im going with this? How long has the Moment been out? Oh right, 18 days.

Now go ask a Hero owner how much info they had on any MRs after 2.5 weeks. Oh, wait, I can answer that one too, since I owned the Hero from the 9th of Oct to the 2nd of Nov. Which, for the record, is much longer than Ive owned the Moment. They knew about as much then as we know now. So say what you will, but if you want to compare phones and updates, you should probably look at the time frame for both as well.

And overall, the Moment is a much better phone in my opinion. Once the AGPS issue is worked out, I wont have any issues with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think if you go back and check your facts you will find not only did those of us that had the Hero 2.5 weeks in know they were working on a MR but we ALSO had word via HTC's twitter that it would be undated to 2.0. Check your fact's before you start making statements. I also follow along the bleeding edge of  phone tech and while I TOTALLY understand with that comes a certain level of frustration, aGPS that flat DOES NOT WORK and a battery indicator issue like this is a joke. Just as the SMS partial wake lock the Hero had at launch any true beta testing should have found those issues and they should have NEVER made it to market. Now if SOMEONE would at least officially say SOMETHING about updates for the Moment it would go a very long way to hold most people over.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My facts are just fine thanks.

Facts are as follows.

Some of us, this includes me, picked up the Hero on Oct 9th. Others (non reward zone members) had to wait until the 11th.

On Oct 20t HTC tweeted the following

There is still no new information on future updates to Hero. That doesn't mean their won't be updates, just no new info right now. from CoTweet

On the 28th HTC tweeted about 2.0

The rumors are true! Hero will be getting an Eclair update. We ask for your patience as we update Sense for the fancy new Android OS. from CoTweet

Which to be fair, was 18 days after the offical release, 20 for those of us that got it on the 9th. However, you quickly forget that it was largely believed by some that this was only going to apply to the GSM version.

On what? the 29th David Owens said they would work quickly to update the OS on both the Hero and the Moment?

AdamJaworski: When will Sprint release Android 2.0 for the Hero and Moment?
David: part of the beauty of android is the ability to upgrade the os and we will work to do that quickly but it was important to be out early with both Hero and Moment. Both products are getting great reviews

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/chat-with-buzz/blog/2009/10/29/david-owens-chat-transcript--1029;jsessionid=04E8EAC758A6601732F908EA799DDC28.app2jive1

However, my last post was specific to the MRs. So maybe I missed it, but would you care to check and show me where Sprint, or HTC announced an MR at 2.5 weeks in? Since you claim I dont have my fact straight and all.

Also, dont take this for an "I dont care if we get an update", but rather more as "be patient". I do care that my location services are jacked and I do want it fixed. I just dont expect Sprint to do it over night, or even in 2 weeks. After a month / month and a half, if its still not updated or fixed, we could have a problem.
I had this all typed up last night, but when I went to Post, the site was down for maint. Looks like it saved it which is good, as I wasnt looking to redo this message.

Message was edited by: Edaze55

Highlighted
Journeyman

SarahKS,

I don't think anyone sets out to attack you all (admins) but consider:

-this is a Sprint board

-we have complaints against Sprint/Samsung

-you're one of few means of communication

so you're going to get hassled. I've tried to keep myself calm and patient, but this company doesn't exactly have a great track record for trying to keep me happy once the money's crossed the table, so I often have to focus to keep from turning my questions/concerns/complaints into a full-on rant made in impotent rage.

I mean, think about it. We just bought a super-spiffy, expensive phone (in a recession) that is supposed to be the bees knees, and it's crippled not by its hardware limitations, but the lackluster job the dev team did in setting up the phone to begin with. On top of that, I'm personally upset because I've gone from paying $35 with tax for service to $80, and have watched over the last 7 years as plans keep getting more expensive. Bottom line, people get pissed when expensive tech doesn't work like it should.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You guys see how fast 2.0 is on the Hero on you tube???  It's as fast as the Moment with 1.5!!  Ugh...I have faith that these guys will get us 2.0 soon...Otherwise they're going to have one angry mob on their hands...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat