cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update or not?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Update or not?

Ok Sprint whats the official word..its been long enough to know something will the Moment get a OS upgrade or not? All the issues with this phone would be corrected with 1.6+ so whats the deal???

127 REPLIES 127
Highlighted
Journeyman

Note the Android 2.0 source was only released to all manufacturers 11/14 - 6 days ago.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/11/14/android-2-0-source-released-already-ported-to-the-g1/

It will surely take a few weeks to possibly months before the manufacturers are able to port / test with their individual devices.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Note the Android 2.0 source was only released to all manufacturers 11/14 - 6 days ago."

How did Motorola get it far enough back to make it work on the Droid? Hmm? And according to that article, people got it running on the G1 within hours. And you say it will take weeks/months for Samsung and Sprint to get it to work on our phone? Appalling.

2.0 is irrelevent, 1.6 has been out long enough for it to have been installed on the Moment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would put money on the real reason that it will take a while to get 1.6 or 2.0 on the moment is that the Sprint apps (ie navigation and TV) does not  work on either of them.

Message was edited by: Str8Krazy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Keeping customers in the dark is the worst thing that Sprint can do.

I have made my decision that I am returning the Samsung Moment. Without GPS it makes no sense for me to pay $300+ when my 2 year old HTC Mogul has working GPS.

I still enjoy Sprints' service and internet speed but this phone was released too early and therefore defective.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think people who are experiencing issues with functions like GPS would be better served by providing detailed problem reports here for engineers to review.  Simply demanding an Android update without being sure it will fix their issues is nonsensical.  v1.5 is the most stable version right now and I'd much rather see fixes pushed out for it than having Samsung/Sprint push out a v1.6 or 2.0 update that hasn't been thoroughly tested.  I certainly would like to see aGPS functioning as well, but again, I would prefer that Samsung and Sprint just fixed it for the current software.   The original poster says "All the issues with this phone would be corrected with 1.6+", how does he know this without testing it on the Moment?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm following several threads on here and not sure if I already posted this on this thread but I've seen complaints of the GPS around...I have had NO problems with the GPS on my Moment...Use it 2-6 times a day...Works way better/faster/prettier than on my instinct...I read a thread where someone was complaining of bad call quality (which is opposite to all reviews I've read) and GPS issues...The poster swapped for a different Moment and his problems were solved...So I think this may be an issue with some phones, but not all...I'd swap it if I were you...

1.5 is cool...The Moment makes the lag acceptable, at least going from a Hero it screams...I would like to get 2.0 at some point, mainly for the speed increase...Search you tube for Hero 2.0 and you'll see a hacked Hero running Eclair...It's as fast as the Moment now...So the Moment, in theory, really should be as fast as the droid with 2.0...Droid has a lower clocked, but faster cpu, that should be close to the speed of the Moment...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint now has the  Moment Hard Silcone cases out now I got one at my store yesterday. Also the salesman told me The Update for the Moment will be out in the next few days. I do not know  what it is He just said it was a huge update!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think there will be some incremental updates from Sprint over the next few weeks/months, but according to the Samsung rep. that was at that Winter Garden last week, the 2.0 update is not scheduled until sometime in 1Q 2010.  Pretty disappointing for such great hardware to have an OS that is 2 iterations behind.  This may be old news, I didn't have time to read all the posts in this thread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok so now even G1 has the Google maps update, when will samsung get this 1.6 at least

Highlighted
Patron

GREAT!!!

I look forward to the update. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

azleatherneck wrote:

Say what you want Sprint released a phone they KNEW was flawed..no way they didnt know the GPS was Fed up...then they wont even say "IF" the moment will get an update..It was HTC that confirmed the Hero...and what is your source that says they were doing 1.6 on both..I have NEVER seen a confirmed statement yet just alot of rumors.

There's nothing at all wrong with the *GPS*.  Perhaps there is something wrong with the cellular triangulation, but not the GPS.  Go into settings -> security & location, and uncheck Use wireless networks.  It will now only use GPS sats.  I've driven around using the GPS and it's dead accurate for me.

I hope we get an update soon though.

It would be pathetic if the Hero beats the Moment to 2.0 when Samsung pretty much threw stock Android on the Moment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I LOVED the Moment, it would have been a keeper...but I returned it.  My 30 days were running out and with no word of an OS update, I couldn't chance getting stuck with Sprint's stepchild.  All the love is being shown to the Hero.  My Moment had the Airplane Mode and GPS Issues among others.  I didn't pay that much money for a paperweight when it was stuck in Airplane Mode.  I had an emergency and needed to use the phone to get help...didn't happen, the phone would NOT let me use the phone.  Scary situation!!  Later when I took it to the sprint store, it took them an hour in the back room to fix it.  That's just not acceptable Sprint!  I cancelled my transaction, so I will still be able to get an upgrade, I really hope Sprint get's it together with the Moment, I'll get it again but for now I'm back on my trusty BB Curve 8330.

Message was edited by: FunkyTrunk

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat