cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to Android 2.2

Highlighted
Journeyman

Update to Android 2.2

I just saw a posting on one of the Android sites that Sprint will not be updating the Moment to Android 2.2.

The reason I went to Android was that I was tired of not getting updates on my Windows phone.  What is the reason behind this?  Maybe I should root my phone in order to keep it up to date?

Tags (2)
47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Update to Android 2.2

Not sure what you are reading, but according to CNET they are http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20008828-251.html.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure what you're reading, but CNET says they're not:

Update: Uh-oh. Sprint just tweeted that the Froyo update won't be coming to the Hero or the Moment. Future devices launching on Android 2.1 will be upgradeable to Android 2.2, however.

That blows. Froyo sounds cool.  How does that rooting thing work?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is what I was looking at:  http://tinyurl.com/394gqzw

It was posted in "Android Community"  and "phandroid.com"

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess I'll be swapping the Moment that I got last weekend for non-android phone now. =( Sadly, the Moment was my last hope in getting a decent Android phone from Sprint that was not 4g. There are only two weeks left in 30 day trial period to decide on what phone I want to be stuck with for the next two years. I don't desire to move to another carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know the feeling.  The Moment has been a great phone overall.  If you want a non 4G phone it good.  I am one of those who wants the latest software.  I am a beta tester for a number of software products and I have a problem when a company won't do an upgrade.  Makes me wonder why and what's the problem with the current version that makes it not able to update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The biggest reason why the moment is not getting 2.2 is because the moment 2 is coming out very soon. The original moment is riddled with problems and u could probably get a free upgrade to the moment 2 if u have a known issue. You may have to go thru a few refurbs first but in the end its enivitable that sprint will have to replace almost all moment 1 with the moment 2 eventually.

Highlighted
Journeyman

also another reason why the moment is not getting 2.2 is because of flash. Adobe says that for flash to work u need atleast 25mb of ram space. With the moment and all of the apps running in the background u are luck to get 10mbs of free ram. If u dont have enough space u will get a insufficient memory error. So samsung and sprint would have to go thru alot of work to get flash to work on the moment and full flash support is pretty much the key feature of 2.2.

So the only reason that the moment cant run it is because of how little ram space it has. Most of the memory usage though is from the sprint preinstalled apps and sprint will not remove those or tweak them so the moment can get 2.2.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, I guess that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why they design things without thinking about the future (or maybe they do, designed in obsolesence).  I get so upset when I get tied up with something like this I usually stop buying from the responsible company(s).  Take note Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tempting to go to Verizon.  I'll see what this "Moment 2" is like first.  I love my Moment at the moment!!! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Um, what?

I currently have 65 megs of RAM free on my phone. Learn to use TasKiller...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah u prolly have 65mb after using a task killer but the preinstalled sprint apps will always come back within a few minutes or more. Also using a task killer will drain your battery faster because the preinstalled apps will always come back and load in the background. Preinstalled apps are on a different hard drive partition that u cannot get access to and this partition does not have its own memory/ram.

The moment with stock does not have enough memory to run 2.2 with flash period. when the preinstalled apps load in the backround while trying to use flash the phone will either freeze or not be able to run flash and will give a error message that says insufficient memory. If u root the phone and take out all the preinstalled apps u will go from 10mb to runinng about 50mbs free memory/ram constant without using a task killer. Sprint will never take out these preinstalled apps and will never tweak them so they do not load in background or give the ability to uninstall them. So really the sprint apps are the main culprit in the moments inability to run 2.2.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat