cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to Android 2.2

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Update to Android 2.2

Although I agree that the Sprint apps are pointless, no, they do not always open again for me. My battery life is even better with TasKiller, lasting around 3 days on standby and 1 day with moderate use. My major complaint is that if the Droid is getting 2.2, why not the Moment, a superior phone in many regards? Memory, CPU, and battery life are not a concern if you actually care about them and use TasKiller like I suggest. It is truly pathetic when people who root and create custom ROMs do a better job than people who get paid to do the same thing... and eventually fail. How pathetic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would like to interject some thoughts as to why the Moment isn't getting FroYo.

First, the Droid actually has a better processor. The Samsung S3C6410 at 800 MHz in the Moment is actually a previous generation processor. The Droid actually has a Cortex ARM A8 processor that's pretty state of the art. Of course there are newer processors coming, however the Moment's S3C6410 processor is the same processor used for the original iPhone & 3G models as well as the 1st & 2nd gen iPod Touch. Compared to a Cortex ARM procesor, the Cortex line is technically faster and more efficient design. So while the Moment is running at 800 MHz, the Droid runs a more efficient processor, faster internals, & has greater processing than the S3C6410 processor. That's why Apple switched to a A4 which is nothing more than a custom Cortex ARM A8 processor.

Second, to run Flash, a Cortex ARM A8 processor is needed. So there's no way to run Flash on either the Hero or the Moment. That ultimately defeats the purpose of upgrading to FroYo. Since Adobe has made that final & FroYo has been designed around that processor, a redone FroYo just for the Hero and Moment would still be lacking that killer feature of Flash. While there are other improvements to FroYo, it wouldn't be enough to justify all the money and time to make it happen.

Third, every Hero or Moment contract will be up sometime this year or next year. By then at the 12 or 24th month of the contract, users will have the option of upgrading. There will be a bunch of new phones by then. I"m sure there are phones for this fall, there will be new phones next year. I'm sure that Sprint will make a lot of effort to get us to upgrade. While some of you will complain about that, let's be honest here. Most folks do not hold on to their phones for the full 24 months. The phones usually break well before the 24 months and are pretty abused by the 12th to 14th month. I'm sure there will be some killer deals on upgraded FroYo models or new FroYo models. I hope Sprint's recycle program will return so we can get some credit's off of the Hero and Moment. Hopefully, there will be a couple of 99.99 model upgrades by then.

While I don't like the choice, the logic of not upgrading to FroYo makes engineering and perfect common sense. It is a great phone and it got Android 2.1. 2.1 is not too shabby at all. It's far ahead of iOS 4. Besides many of us will upgrade. The best thing you can do is save your bucks, scout the phones carefully and make a choice. Besides all that, every three months there is a new Android phone that's sweeter than the last one. Sprint will eventually have to run a sale. Eventually, they will have to eliminate inventory to make room for newer models. It's just a matter of making good choices until then.

Highlighted
Journeyman

While Flash would be nice, that's not the main reason I want 2.2. Froyo's been reworked to run much faster than 2.1, has the "world's fastest mobile browser", and allows for SD card app storage.  Give me Froyo and leave Flash unistalled or disabled for all I care.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think jgomez said everything that needs to be said. The Moment, as nice as it is, is a first-gen legacy device. Many of those (like the G1 or Behold II) will never go beyond 1.6 in an official release, much less 2.1. It would be nice to get some of the new features in 2.2 (even without Flash), but the amount of effort required to cook up an upgrade isn't justifiable given the relatively short shelf life of mobile handsets, especially if removing Flash proved to be tricky. That's the pain of owning any tech device; what you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow. For the die-hards, they'll figure out how to root their phone and install 2.2 anyway... and suffer through any quirky behaviors that can (and probably will) result from not having a team of QA engineers putting the device through its paces. (I mean no disrespect to those SDX guys who do such things, but it's very much a "hack".)

If you're really that adamant that you need 2.2 and all of the features it can provide, accept the blistering pace of mobile technology and upgrade your handset when your contract allows for it. Me, I'm pretty happy with how well my $99 phone works compared to the previous $99 phone I had (a Motorola Q9c). Given the huge leap in capabilities over two years while still maintaining the same price point, I can't wait to see what's available when I'm eligible for the next 2-year upgrade.

Highlighted
Journeyman

are you kidding me...are you a sprint mole.  The moment is not a "legacy" device.  It is damn near one of the best devices you can have android on.  do some home work kids.  It is a more powerful phone than the verizon droid, which will be getting 2.2.  I dont know how the corporate shit shingle works...very well...but this is b.s..  I bought the moment because it was the best "vanilla" android phone around, and the best long term canidate for optimization.  all this other stuff is pure horseshit.  it is simply a better phone than the droid.  the power of marketing.  you guys swallowed the pill.  it's cool...just give me 2.2

Highlighted
Journeyman

mchannon wrote:

are you kidding me...are you a sprint mole.  The moment is not a "legacy" device.  It is **** near one of the best devices you can have android on.  do some home work kids.  It is a more powerful phone than the verizon droid, which will be getting 2.2.  I dont know how the corporate **** shingle works...very well...but this is b.s..  I bought the moment because it was the best "vanilla" android phone around, and the best long term canidate for optimization.  all this other stuff is pure *********.  it is simply a better phone than the droid.  the power of marketing.  you guys swallowed the pill.  it's cool...just give me 2.2

Actually the moto droid is quit a bit more powerful than the moment. The moment runs on an old out dated processor with a built in gpu. The droid has a newer processor than the moment and a separate gpu with way more built in memory. It may have a slower processor but it is a lot higher quality processor. it can be over clocked to a gig the moment can't go past 800. And before you say anything no I'm not a sprint mole.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The 2.2 update allows apps to be installed on the SD card.  Hopefully Sprint will place their apps on the SD card so we can finally get rid of them.

Please Sprint, put your apps on the SD card, thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No, it's definitely a legacy device because it still uses a first-gen CPU. As has been pointed out, the Cortex A8 family of processors used in the Droid, Evo, etc. is infinitely more powerful than the ARM11 CPU used in devices like the Hero, Moment, G1, etc. The Droid also has a larger screen, better screen resolution, and a better camera. I like my Moment, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that it can seriously take on some of the higher-end competing phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint is saying that the reason that the moment cant get 2.2 (even though it has a good 800mhz processor) is because it is an older processor. The samsung intercept (moment 2) uses the same processor so either sprint is  gunna drop a bomb on the moment 2 buyers and say sorry 2.1 is the only thing your brand new phone with an old processor can handle or they lied to the moment users. the second option being more likely. we pay the price for a data plan for our smart phones, sprint boast of how its quickly growing, and they are obviously on samsung good side (epic 4g, intercept, and im sure their own version of galaxy s) I feel like either samsung or sprint (or both) has given up on its old customers to focus on their new and thats not right. they could have at least said sorry no 2.2 and not act like if it was a better phone they wouldve done an update. they speak strongly against rooting and when they do things like this its like putting beer in front of an alchoholic and telling them beer is bad for u and expect the the alchoholic to be happy with water! people are gunna start rooting if just because sprint wants to be lazy or neglectful and think O they'll be fine. im not saying have the update ready by next week or u suck, im just saying dont give up on the moment because you have newer phones out there if it takes a few months so be it but at least show the effort and if it cant support flash then thats ok still dont give up. All i know is that if i just bought a moment las week and later found out thatt for the next 2 years id be stuck with 2.1 i would feal tricked, especially with how fast android is growing because by this time next year who knows what will be the best version. they need need to find a balance between Moving Forward and at the same time not leaving your prevoius customers behind as well. this is my opinion.

K

Highlighted
Journeyman

The newly released Intercept is a major downgrade from the Moment.  Slower data (rev0 instead of revA, arguably not 3G) and lower-resolution, lower-quality screen (240x400 LCD instead of 320x480 AMOLED).

To me, Sprint's new strategy has become clear:  In the future, power users (including anyone who wants revA on a smartphone) will be required to pay the $10/month surcharge.  This is the real reason that Sprint denied any connection between the $10/mo surcharge and 4G:  Because really, Sprint is going to demand the $10/mo from anyone who wants true 3G !

Any customer unwilling to pay the $10/mo surcharge will have to choose between a "dumb" (non-smart) phone and "dumbed-down" smart phone such as the Intercept.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Say it aint so Sprint.  Say we don't all really need to read about the new Sprint phone we wish we didn't have to settle for while we're surfing the net on our shiny new Droids.  Get your heads out of your a$$es and come to the realization that your customers are why you are here and if 4G is gonna be your claim to fame and to hell with the customers who don't want to jump on the bandwagon you are gonna be in the same boat with the boys from helios (anybody remember them).  It won't be long now and VZW and AT&T are gonna have their own LTE version of 4G up and running.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sammy has said the one reason y the moment will not get 2.2 is because of the processor. This is not true the processor is old so u just wont have flash support. I would love to have flash but its not that big of a deal. I'm really interested in all the other features of 2.2 llike apps to SD. The intercept has exactly the same hardware as the moment except for having a few downgrades. So if the intercept can run 2.2 the moment can also, minus the flash support of course. So really if the intercept gets 2.2 their is no excuse for the moment not getting it. Sprint and sammy are just gonna make people root their phones to get it.

With all the info and specs coming out on the piece of garbage intercept i have come up with a thoery. Since sprint has confimed the intercept will get 2.2 and the moment will not i believe sprint will try to replace all moments that are having problems with intercepts. I think they can not come up with a fixs for the data lock up issues so they decided to develope this piece of garbage phone the intercept. Watch after the moment goes eol and u bring it in for defects sprint will try and push the intercept on u as a replacement.

Just think what is more cost effective wasting resources and paying out alot of man hours to fix something that has no quick solution. Or coming out with a brand new downgraded less expensive phone to manufacture to quitely replace the phone that has issues. This is just my opinion and i will diffenetly eat my words if sammy and sprint come out with a fixs for the moment. But i wont hold my breath.

Does anyone have a feeling of deja vu. This seems oddly similar to the instinct debacle. The original instinct had problems also and instead of fixing them they released a newer version they could replace the original with. Except the newer version had more features but then again it did have obselete lower grade hardware wich made it awfully slow and frustrating to use. Wow i would have thought sprint and sammy would have learned from their past mistakes guess not.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat