cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to Android 2.2

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Update to Android 2.2

Umm not a super Tech wiz But I jsut upgraded my phone (samsung Moment) to the 2.1 Android Operating system. And I about to see if I can get it to 2.2 which I just sis for my Fiance's phone and she has the 1st My Touch 3G. I don't know what all the arguing is about with the 2.2 stuff I'm sure in about 10 mins I'll ahve that on my samsung moment. Just like I did for my Fiance's MY3G which is older than the moment and mind you Tmobile never released ANY updates for the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

so did you get the 2.2 update on your samsung moment? if so how did you do it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is the "Real" reason Sprint is not going to put the Android 2.2 on the Hero, or the moment. It is called money people, if they give you the 2.2 update on the device you already have means you do not have to but a new device, and sign a new contract with them. So by only putting the 2.2 on the newest phones, they are making you buy a new phone, and sign a new 2 year contract with them. So in order to beat this, you will have to do one of 2 things, or both, depending on how pissed you are that Sprint has you by the sack. 1st, just out right buy one of the new devices with the 2.2, sure it is kinda pricey to buy one, but you are not obligated to them for the next two years or longer. 2nd you could just switch cellular providers and go to lets say verizon where they keep all their devices updated with the latest software updates. By doing both options you get a new device, without paying the full price of the device, and you get a better coverage area! Just a thought to keep in mind people. Bottom line is it is about Sprint keeping you spending money with them!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I spoke with a Sprint rep a few weeks ago and was told we could take our Samsung Moment to a Sprint store and they would put 2.2 on it.  I haven't gone yet, but I want to look into the benefits of having 2.2 v rooting 2.1.

Highlighted
Wizard

rswilley1 wrote:

I spoke with a Sprint rep a few weeks ago and was told we could take our Samsung Moment to a Sprint store and they would put 2.2 on it.  I haven't gone yet, but I want to look into the benefits of having 2.2 v rooting 2.1.

Don't waste your time going to the store, there is no Android 2.2 for the Moment, and probably never will be.  The rep you talked to was wrong.  The only way to put 2.2 on a Moment is with a Sharpie.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seriously people, you're NOT getting 2.2 from Sprint/Samsung, end of story!  I challenge you to go into a Sprint store and ask them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am very disappointed in not getting 2.2 on my Samsung Moment.  I could really care less about Flash 10.  I am more interested in the other features that has been previously mentioned which is far more useful.  I understand the technical details regarding why they say they are not upgrading the Samsung Moment.

Considering This time next year all of our family's contracts will be up at 24 months.  That is a total of 5 phones.  I  am purposely not renewing or upgrading any of our phones so that next year, I can make a choice about whether or not I want to stay with Sprint.  I have been with Sprint for over 10 years so maybe it is time for a change.  The cool thing about Android, is that other carriers have it too.

I may seriously consider switching carriers then, depending on what is out at the time and who is going to give me the best deal.  After having all 5 of my phones off contract late next year, Sprint will have to be extra sweet to me if they really want to keep my business.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just to verify, I called the local Sprint store (a third party company that provides support for Sprint) and they verified that 2.2 is NOT available for the Samsung Moment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't understand still why we won't get an official 2.2 update. With 2.2 JIT and ext2, the Moment can surpass the Droid in both MFLOPS and quadrants. with a good enough coding team, the Moment can be much more than what Sprint shipped it out as. The lack of support from both Samsung and Sprint leads me to believe that they simply want to throw us Moment users away. I'm sure the same will eventually happen to both the Epic and Evo, sprint's current flagship phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You're not switching.  Sprint, hands down, has the best rate plans.  Especially for a family plan.  I don't work for Sprint, but no one touches the 69.99 simply everything plan or the family plans.  And get over the $10 up-charge.  Even with it, they're still cheaper and the coverage is equal to all other carriers.

I too am upset at the lack of support for the Hero and Moment.  Those phones weren't even a year old and they've stopped supporting them.  And that decision was made by Sprint and it likely is directly tied to the release of the Evo and Epic and the $10.  I upgraded from the Hero to the Epic and don't regret it in the least.  My wife, however, is stuck with the Moment, but she'll be alright.

We all just have to accept that what was happening with computers in the past is now happening to phones.  It's not anyone's fault, really.  The life of these phones is certainly shorter than the contracts that we sign.  but remember they are subsidized by the two year contract.  Sort of a side comment that does relate.  I heard the other day that ATT doesn't make any money on iPhone users until after the 19th month because of the subsidies they provide to keep the price of the handset down.  Sprint has to make money, otherwise they wouldn't be here.  That's why we have contracts.  It's not to chain you to the provider, it's for them to recoup their investment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

this is a problem most buyers of android don't realize. The system android uses for updates is very similar to that of windows mobile or feature phones. it is not consistant, and phones are outdated very quickly. 2.0 came out right around the time the original moment was released yet it took several months for it to actually become available and was actually updated to 2.1 and just about the same time 2.2 was announced. both iOS and Webos use a more structured system where the os is fairly consistant and devices are updateable for atleast the two year period if not longer. Android will not last forever as a major smartphone player if it does not get organized. We will have to see how wp7 plays out and can stay consistant despite multople manufacturers and carriers. If it can, it will eventually overtake android because many android buyers simply want nice hardware and are not loyal to an OS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Umm T-mobile comes pretty close to plan and price. T-mobile plans are identical to sprint just $10 more. Also there 4g is free no premium fee. So if u want more then one 4g phone its cheaper at t-mobile.

Also i know the network t-mobile uses for 4g is not 4g and is way slower then wimax and lte. That is y i'm still with sprint and have evo's.

Also another thing wimax and lte are not 4g either. Only Wimax 2 and lte advanced is true 4g, and no carrier in the world is even using or workin on that yet

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat