cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice calls - screen sensitivity

Highlighted
Journeyman

Voice calls - screen sensitivity

I'm having a problem with voice calls on my Samsung Moment. When I hold the phone up to my ear, the buttons on the touchscreen keep getting pressed. I end up putting the caller on mute, or on speaker phone, or the dialpad comes up and numbers get pressed - it's very annoying!!  I don't press that hard against the phone - is there a way to adjust the screen's sensitivity?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Voice calls - screen sensitivity

There is a 'proximity sensor' that causes the screen to go blank and inactive during a voice call if it is within an inch or two of something (like your head/ear for example.)  The sensor is located on the face of the phone, in the upper left corner, just to the left of the Sprint logo.  If you look carefully you can see 3 little holes or openings, one of which is the proximity sensor.  You can experiment with it by putting up a call (call your voice mail or something) and then moving your finger around in front of the sensor at different distances from the phone.  You will see the screen get turned on and off.  This has to be during a phone call.

It seems to work pretty well.  However, if you hit some of the physical buttons on the device during a call when the sensor has turned the screen off, then it causes the screen to turn back on and become active again.  You'll need to move the sensor away from your head, then back again to get the sensor to turn the display off again.  In my experimentation, you usually have to make two button presses (e.g. volume button) in order to get the screen to turn back on.  Except the button that ends the call will, well, end the call and activate the screen again with just one push.  Also, the camera button is a little different in that the button can be pushed down part way for one function, and the rest of the way for another function (camera functions.)  So if you fully press the camera button during a call when the proximity sensor has the screen off, it might trigger the screen to come back on as the half-way point counts as one key press and fully down counts as the second key press.

Bottom line is you need to avoid pushing the physical buttons during a call, and if you do it (accidentally, or intentionally to adjust volume etc) then move the phone away from your ear and back again to get the screen to shut off again.  This should eliminate the problems you've been experiencing during voice calls.

I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Voice calls - screen sensitivity

Ohhh ... that makes sense now!  I see the proximity sensor you're talking about.  I'll play around with it, like you suggested ... thank you so much for your help!!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat