cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why people with the Samsung Moment SHOULD "root" their phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why people with the Samsung Moment SHOULD "root" their phone

I am going to go out on a limb here and admit that I finally I took the plunge and "rooted" my phone. For those of you new to this, it means I installed a custom, modified version of the Android 2.1 Operating System, developed over at SDX Developers ( http://forum.sdx-developers.com/ ) I say going out on a limb, because I know rooting  voids the warranty on the phone, but I have finally given up on Sprint coming up with a solution to this issue. What's more, as soon as I did it, I regretted not doing so months ago. The phone is DRAMATICALLY better in myriad ways with this "hacked" software installed.

First and foremost, since installing the "ROM" (see this thread at SDX http://forum.sdx-developers.com/roms/noobnl%27s-dd10-rom/ ) the speed of my phone has QUADRUPLED. (For those interested, you can download the program Linpak from the market to test your phone's processing speed.) Everything is noticeably faster and I can run with all the visual settings at the highest level with no "lag". In addition, the current version of this ROM (Noobnl's Radioactive Froyo ROM) has dramatically better battery life than the "stock" Moment Android 2.1. I have had my phone on for 7 hours of (admittedly light) use today, and the battery is stil at 95% . This is with the increased speed! Prior to installing this ROM I was lucky to get 7 hours of total battery life with the phone just sitting next to me on the desk. What's more the ROM removes a ton of Sprint's useless software that always runs in the background (NASCAR, NFL, Nuance, etc) and adds a number of features we did not get with our 2.1 upgrade ("Live" Wallpapers, high quality You Tube, improved video recording quality, and more).

I dont want to suggest that there are no problems using this ROM. Various updates have had problems with battery life, text messages, GPS, etc. However, you have the ability to directly contact the developer about these problems, and despite saying he is stopping work on this, he has posted updates DAILY to address any bugs! (Sometimes multiple times in one day.) And the current version (1.7.8) seems to address any and all concerns I have had with this rom. I should also note that, while the airplane mode and data lockup issues are NOT resolved (the developers at SDX seem to think it is a hardware problem at base), they happen to me much less frequently than they did on the stock version of android. (Airplane mode used to happen to me at least once a day, and I have had it only once in the last couple weeks.)

So, I guess I may have given up my chance for a 6th replacement Moment (that is no lie). But numerous calls (and dropped calls) with Sprint customer service and tech support suggest that they are not going to do anything to adddress these problems, regardless of what we do.Two weeks ago, I was trying to pick up my son in downtown Oakland in the midst of the aftermath of the Oscar Grant trial. The streets were in chaos, and my data locked up twice (forcing reboots) as I tried to use GPS to pick him up. In the end all was fine, but I kept thinking what I would do if he was injured and I was late to pick him up because my phone didnt work.

If anyone else is interested in following my lead, I strongly suggest you go to SDX Developers and try noobnl's ROM. It is NOT that hard to do, and I have now done it multilpe times (installing upgrades) without damaging my phone. Thoroughly, read the guide they have posted here:

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/tips-and-guides/%28read-me-before-posting!!%29-sdx-super-guide/

and then go for it. I guarantee you will be better off than just waiting for Sprint to address your concerns.

Message was edited by: DrGibberish to fix links

Message was edited by: DrGibberish

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

DrGibberish wrote:

... rooting  voids the warranty on the phone...

Just sayin.  Cause I have to.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand, but I have to tell you that I am baffled as to why a small community of volunteer developers can fix so many of this phone's problems in short order, but a huge company with people dedicated to doing so cannot.

I waited patiently for months but nothing has been done by Sprint or Samsung to address the phones numerous problems. I have also called tech support and customer service repeatedly and it is hard to get people to even acknowledge the problems exist, let alone come up with a solution.

Clearly something is going wrong with the bug fixing process that Sprint and Samsung cannot produce even a temporary or partial fix for these issues.

Highlighted

I know - and now that we're not supporting future upgrades on the Moment / Hero, I see no reason why we shouldn't allow the community to talk about the process.

I've sent a link to this to Ally and SarahKS, both of whom are dis-satisfied Moment users.  I did the 2.2 upgrade to my Hero and am loving it so far.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks so much. I have to say it is at least validating to have you say that. I worry that people on this forum just get written off as "complainers". I have been with Sprint for years and have had multiple "smart phones" (Palm Treos) and never once had an issue with them. I am really hoping that I can get the Epic when it comes out, and leave all the complaining behind me

Message was edited by: DrGibberish

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok since we are talking about it I must say I have used SDX roms all 3 of my mouments and they are all good but may I suggest this site instead

http://www.androidmobilesupport.com/index.php This dev has ported the new Intercepts rom the our mouments and is very active with support plus it is a great community Iam currently useing intercept V5 on my 3 moment no data lock ups great battery life like more than a day and my days last 16 hrs at work. speeds are thru the roof. live wallpapers and the list goes on. The dev says he will be taking this ROM all the way to FROYO 2.2

Highlighted
Journeyman

even if you root...just unroot and you get your warrenty back

Highlighted
Journeyman

Rooting does not void your warranty.  This is a false assumption.  If rooting your phone causes a malfunction it will not be covered.    If you root your phone and the devise fails because of a manufacturer defect it is still legally must be covered. The laws clearly state that a warranty may not voided but claims may be denied IF there is a direct link that modification caused the malfunction.  For example...

I root my phone and the screens goes out.  Rooting did not cause the screen to go out but a bad screen from the manufacturer.

But I root my phone and it crashes and no longer boots up.  That claim will not be covered due to my fault.

I have had and know of many cases where the "voided warranty"  was tried by car warranties and it is always the same result.  Per consultation with an attorney who explained it as clearly as can be explained.  Modifications do not/can not  release a manufacturer of their warranty obligations unless the modification directly causes the failure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The important thing to remember about rooting is samsung is the manufacturer and you will likely lose sprint as a go between if they know you have done it. YMMV

Highlighted
Journeyman

Regardless of the warranty, if we want to have Sprint change the phone number for a phone that's been rooted, will that still be possible?

Highlighted

SteveWNC wrote:

Regardless of the warranty, if we want to have Sprint change the phone number for a phone that's been rooted, will that still be possible?

Yes - you should be able to swap phone numbers among phones on your account.  The 'root' status doesn't matter -- it's all in the deep firmware and switch level stuff.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Wengla2...

It is funny, that I had finally reached to the same conclusion.

Unfortunately, the moment is much better but did not address the radio lock issue.

Did your new rom address the radio lock issue?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat