I bought my moment 20 something days ago. Before i bought it I did my research on the whole android system. I knew that 2.1 firmware would not be available by mid March. A day after i got mine my aunt went and bought herself one. After about 2 weeks my aunt was having a problem with her screen going completely black. She went to a sprint store and was told that her phone did not have up to date software. She had me go with her to another sprint store that she was told would update her phone. The guy at the store told us that we would be getting 2.1 firmware, i questioned him and he told me that he had done it a couple times already that day. I let the excitement about getting 2.1 overshadow the fact that i knew it wasn't out yet. We had to come back an hour later to pick up the phones. The first thing I did was going to about phone and saw that it was still 1.5. This is where i ran into my first problem. I looked the man in the face and asked him why did it still say 1.5 when he said we were getting 2.1. His exact response was: "It is 2.1 but it will say its 1.5.
By the time I got home from the store I had run into multiple problems. My internet would drop and i would have to take the battery out, and my screen would just turn black. It was at this point that i convinced my aunt to go back to the original store she went to. When we got there we were met by two workers who proceeded to listen to our story. They looked at my aunts phone and told her that her phone wasn't up to date. They told us that we could go home and download the cl14 update. I knew that our phones came with this built in but the workers had my aunt convinced that they were right.
Now what i want to know is what you all think. Did i get screwed here or am I not on par with my argument.
Let me make this right for you.
1. You were told wrong information. Android 2.1 is being tested by Sprint at the current time, and a release date for it is not until sometime later this March, or possibly April. I would wait till after CTIA in Las Vegas to see if Sprint announces any updates to their Android platform.
2. 1.5 is NOT 2.1, and 2.1 will NOT say 1.5. The employee was wrong and misinformed you.
3. You can update minor software, but not the actual firmware OS (1.5, 1.6, 2.0 or 2.1) until it is released. Unfortunately if you have all the updates, your phone is as updated as it will be, and the problems will not subside until a firmware is rolled out for your phone.
4. You should back up ALL your phone contents before doing any software/firmware updates, while some stores may be able to do this, most wont.
5. If you are within your 30 days, take the phone back, and get it replaced with a new one. If it is a software issue it will be on the phone you get replaced, then you know something with all Samsung Moments is wrong, however if it is not, then it was just a problem with the phone you had. Again, you are within 30 days, so take advantage of it, and do not let Sprint convince you to keep a phone or update it (if you screw up, its YOUR phone and they wont take it back as its not "in working order").
When all else fails, contact the Account Relations department and see what your options are. After that, its up to Executive and Regulatory.
The latest software update is CL14. If you go to Settings -> About Phone and you should see the following if you have CL14:
Firmware version 1.5
Baseband version S:M900.8.0S.CL14
Build number CUPCAKE.CL14
If you do not have CL14, you can do this update yourself from your own PC (instructions are available on Sprint's site).