Yahoo e-mail

Journeyman

Re: Yahoo e-mail

No plus just free yahoo account

When you set up yahoo

1) imput your user name

2) imput your password

3) do not hit next hit manual set up in the bottom left corner

4)this will take you to manual settings and follow original post if you still have problems go to sprint store or to place of purchased you might have a defective device I did for my gmail sync with apps, I exchanged at best buy (where I purchased) and it works perfect know.

Journeyman

It seems that when you are on Sprint's network, Sprint has an open Yahoo! mail server with Palm. However the Palm/Yahoo! server seems to work with any smartphone that is not a Palm smartphone! (Including the Samsung Moment and the HTC Hero!)

Here are the settings and let me know how it goes! (Note : This will only work on the Sprint network...if you use WiFi it may not work)

Yahoo! (Sprint only)

Note When entering your username for incoming and outgoing mail server settings, include @yahoo.com as part of your username.

Mail type: IMAP

Incoming mail server

Incoming server: palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 993
Encryption: SSL

The outgoing mail server settings will pop up after you click next on the incoming mail server settings.

Outgoing mail server

Outgoing server: palm.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Use Authentication: On
Port: 465
Encryption: SSL
After entering this information it should take you to a screen asking how often you want the app to check your yahoo account for emails.
Journeyman

I know that ! I know where the manual settings are...Duh.. I tried it. I even tried it with the Palm settings. It does not work for AOL, JUNO, YAHOO or MSN.   With WiFi off and on the Sprint Network, or with WiFi on and on a good netwrok.  The only email program that works is GMAIL. It works fine and My work email thru exchange works fine too.

When I am in  the MANUAL setup and I put the IMAP  in, thats it. Thats all the Moment gives me except if I want SSL /TSL. nothing else.   NO settings for SMTP, no more manual setup or continue button.

EVERYTHING else appears to work fine. Browser, Android apps, GPS, messaging, etc.  The guy at Sprint told me that I was out of luck as far as Webmail was concerned( having had previous experience with SPRINT customer service I didn't even bother to ask anybody else, and  SAMSUNG told me I had to ask Sprint.....LOL. 

And something has to give.   Some folks say SSL some folks say TSL some.  Hmmmm

I'm gonna take it back and See if the REP can set up some WEBMAIL right in front of me.    Oh anyone find a way to set up speed dial ?   Thats the number Phone thing I need cause it sure is a pain to have to look up numbers then dial.

Message was edited by: Mongomauler

Journeyman

I have a basic Yahoo email account and I have been using imap email with my Samsung Moment for well over a month.

Everything works just fine, but you have to be using the cellular data network (not wifi).  Yahoo is allowing basic email account owners access on their Sprint phones, but only via the cellular data network.

I avoid checking my Yahoo email when I am connected via wifi; this definitely causes a problem and switching wifi off does not fix it right away (I used to get an invalid user/password error that would last for some time).

Journeyman

LOL, I'm sure you do, but some people say use the WiFi some say no.   I've tried it both ways.   People say use one setting others say use another. People say set the IMAP and SMTP settings in the MANUAL set up.  But I have looked at 2 Moment phones and can't seem to find the SMTP settings under MANUAL set up.

I don't use the WiFi unless I have to which isn't often.    I have tried it on multiple accounts, It always says Username or password invalid on Yahoo, AOL, JUNO, MSN. etc.   It does however work with my work email and Gmail.  (both on and off the WiFi network at work or home)

Finally convinced them to replace the phone  today, same problem, so I will be changing phones by the end of the week anyway to a Non-Android-Non Google phone, most likely the HTC Touch Pro 2.

I'd like to thank everybody for their help. It is much appreciated, however with different answers from different people on various forums it is obvious to me something is fishy. Some say WiFi, some say no, some say it does not matter.  Some say SSL and some say TSL.  Manual settings and enter incoming and outgoing servers, but no one can explain why I can't setup SMTP in the manual settings.  Some folks say they can't do Yahoo Email at all either, some say they have no problem.

I just feel a phone with all this advertised hoopla should work better. Most of us would have returned it a long time ago if it was a car wouldn't we ?  It doesn't take us this long to figure out how to operate our cars does it ?    NO decent Speed dial. For those of you who know how speed dial works you know what I mean.  ( going into contacts and pulling someone up does not constitute speed dial)    For  the most part if it isn't an ANDROID app forget about using it.  I'm glad MICROSOFT didn't take this approach.   and forget about ringtones...  It just appears to be a lot of extra work to do anything on this phone especially customize it.  Forget about getting a decent users guide from Sprint.  That is about the only decent thing you can find at SAMSUNG.   

I've been on a few forums to discuss it and you can tell by the answers alone that many many people have had trouble with WEBMAIL and even if they got it working it took some work.

I think some folks who may have this phone and are stuck with it don't really want to admit it's a piece of crap and I'm sure some folks who think it's a great phone may not have the slightest idea of what it is really supposed to be able to do, and yes I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who know what you are doing too.   Then there is the battery life. I don't want to have to turn things OFF just to get an hour or maybe 2 of extra life out of a it.  That's just thoughtless design.   Even SAMSUNG has a nice HOW TO GUIDE and list of things to turn off  or reduce...LOL..tells me something right there. 

I want a phone that I pay good money for to be able to do what it says it will do with min. effort just like anything else I pay for.

Journeyman

Sorry you are not happy with your phone.  My personal opinion is that this is the best smartphone on the market with a slideout keyboard.  The two things that cause me the most problems have just had a fix released by Sprint (CL14 update), which fixes the battery issue and assisted/network-based GPS issue.

Here is more information on the CL14 update:  http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_Momen...Smiley Very Happy

Also, here are more detailed instructions on how to setup Yahoo email.  And it won't work with wifi enabled:

This is using the stock email widget on the home screen.

Enter your yahoo email: blahblahblah@yahoo.com
Enter Password
Then press Manual setup
Next Select IMAP account
enter user name: blahblahblah
Password (it should be filled out already)

IMAP server settings:
imap.mail.yahoo.com
port - 143 (this might be different on yours)
Press Next.

SMTP server settings:
smtp.mail.yahoo.com
port   - 25

Highlighted

hcamn wrote:

Sorry you are not happy with your phone.  My personal opinion is that this is the best smartphone on the market with a slideout keyboard.  The two things that cause me the most problems have just had a fix released by Sprint (CL14 update), which fixes the battery issue and assisted/network-based GPS issue.

Here is more information on the CL14 update:  http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_Momen...Smiley Very Happy

Also, here are more detailed instructions on how to setup Yahoo email.  And it won't work with wifi enabled:

This is using the stock email widget on the home screen.

Enter your yahoo email: blahblahblah@yahoo.com
Enter Password
Then press Manual setup
Next Select IMAP account
enter user name: blahblahblah
Password (it should be filled out already)

IMAP server settings:
imap.mail.yahoo.com
port - 143 (this might be different on yours)
Press Next.

SMTP server settings:
smtp.mail.yahoo.com
port   - 25

When you do it manual you only have to do incoming settings

Security type you have to pick is TLS(if available) because that is only one that will work.

Message was edited by: VorlessDarkChaos

Journeyman

Thanks, but as I have said, those IMAP settings don't work and neither does TLS although as I said before some people said I had to have SSL... You see my point ? 

Also the YAHOO thing does not explain why AOL, JUNO, or MSN do not work either. (With WiFi turned off) I even tried the Palm settings that one guys insisted works.

Oh I do however have other lesser known WEBMAIL accounts other than GMAIL that do work.

As far as the CL14 update I  haven't had a problem with any function of the GPS and it's a wait and see on the battery issue.

and like I said so far it's  been an issue on TWO brand new phones, which doesn't overly impress me either.

There are other issues as well anyway, the real lack of a speed dial.  The customization that just isn't there.  (moving one shortcut from one screen to another, adding one or removing one isn't what I call customizaion and only being able to use one wallpaper at a time just doesn't cut it)

My initial trouble with the SD card. (had to replace the 2gb one that came with it right out of the box)

SAMSUNG says this phone uses a 16gb SD card.  SPRINT says a 32gb. (but they don't sell anything over 16gb for the phone..hmmm)

HAS anybody been able to find or insert an SD card bigger that 16gb in this phone ?

and dont get me started on the keyboard that you can't see  the top row if you aren't in a very well lit area.  LOL

or the Virtual keyboard on the phone where my finger covers up 3 letters and  the lack of a stylus.

or the android app games that you download that don't tell you they need a stylus until after you have downloaded and tried them.

But Thanks anyway.

Journeyman

I have a Yahoo! mail account, but my username suffix is @prodigy.net, not @yahoo.com.  When I enter the prodigy suffix to my username, I get a message that I can't connect to outgoing server because of an incorrect username or password.  When I enter the yahoo.com suffix I immediately get a can't connect to server message.  What am I doing wrong?  Should I go back to the store for help?  This is a new phone and I don't believe I have wi-fi turned on yet.  Thanks.

Journeyman

I have a palm Pre, and about 2 hours ago, my phone warned me that it needed to be shut down and data was going to be restored from back up. The problem is that when it finally finished, I could no longer connect to my yahoo mail.  I had not had a problem since the software update, but now after trying every possible setting, I can not get it to work.  Is anyone experiencing the same problem?.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.