cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

live wallpapers

Journeyman

live wallpapers

How do i install live wallpapers on my samsung moment?

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: live wallpapers

You dont.

Live wallpaper was not incuded in the upgrade for reasons that have never been clear. If you're frustrated, just search the forum for "live wallpaper" and at least you will find you're not alone 

Journeyman IRM
Journeyman

If you'd like to add just this feature to your 2.1 running-Samsung Moment, you can try the non-rooting approach discussed here:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/80072-how-live-wallpaper-without-rooting.html

I think you'll find that running certain live wallpapers will result in significant lag to your phone. This may not be immediately apparent. Overall, I believe it impacts the performance of the phone in a negative way, at least if you're relying on the official DE03 update provided by Sprint. Others have suggested otherwise, but it could be that these folks are using custom kernels/ROMs, etc.

Good luck.

Journeyman

hello

For some reason samsung and or sprint decided not to include live wallpapers. If u call sprint they say it was samsung desicion if u call samsung they say sprint. Also some techs from each say becuase the samsung moment can't handle it. That is a lie the samsung moment runs live wallpaper better then googles own nexus one.

If u want live wallpaper u will probably have to root your phone. Rooting your phone is pretty easy. Go to this site for info: http://www.sdx-developers.com/ . One tip read everything u can and all the guides on forums b4 u attempt. After u root there is a thread in the forums on the site on how to enable the moment to run live wallpapers after u root and enable live wallpaper u just download whatver live wallpaper u want from the market. i Recomend starfield. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: barker005

Journeyman IRM
Journeyman

barker005 wrote:

hello

For some reason samsung and or sprint decided not to include live wallpapers. If u call sprint they say it was samsung desicion if u call samsung they say sprint. Also some techs from each say becuase the samsung moment can't handle it. That is a lie the samsung moment runs live wallpaper better then googles own nexus one.

If u want live wallpaper u will probably have to root your phone. Rooting your phone is pretty easy. Go to this site for info: http://www.sdx-developers.com/ . One tip read everything u can and all the guides on forums b4 u attempt. After u root there is a thread in the forums on the site on how to enable the moment to run live wallpapers after u root and enable live wallpaper u just download whatver live wallpaper u want from the market. i Recomend starfield. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: barker005

(1) As I wrote above, and as detailed at the page I referenced, you don't have to root your phone to add live wallpaper to your device.

(2)  I cannot compare the performance of the Moment with the Nexus One when running live wallpaper. But, in my experience the performance of the device is better when using the standard wallpaper. With that said, the live wallpaper are pretty cool and worth checking out even if you end up not using them on a regular basis.

Journeyman

I'm sorry technically u do not have to root the moment to run live wallpaper. But u might as well because its just 1 little extra step from what u posted. All u do is apply 1 more zip and u have root. If u are going to apply live wallpaper u should root so u can also apply custom roms and or kernels that will extend battery life. Why put live wallpaer on your phone if u dont have custom roms that extend battery that would drain the battery to fast.

With custom roms or kernels u can run live wallpaper and have upto 12hrs or more battery life. The battery drain without root and custom rom/kernel would not be worth the battery drain. That is why i said to root.

If u dont believe that the moment runs live wallpaper better then the N1 look on youtube. The n1 fc"s almost everytime u try to switch from one live wallpaper to another. The moment does not have this problem.

Journeyman

if u dont mind. a newbe is going to step in...... what is "rooting" and "zip" and all this stuff???

Journeyman

"Rooting" or having root access to your phone in essence means having total control over it the way you might over your home computer (but not your one at work). For example you can remove many of the Sprint programs that come with the phone if you never use them (the NFL app, Nuance voice control, the Nascar app, etc.) In addition you can control aspects of the phone that you are not able to when it is "stock". However, "rooting" voids your warranty.

In order to root your phone, you need to install a "custom" operating system onto the phone. There are groups of programmers out there who do this in their spare time (usually because they also own the phone and want to improve it) and then give the custom "ROM"s away for free. Android is an "open source" operating system developed by Google. This means any company (Samsung, Motorola, HTC) can use the operating system for free on their phones, but they have to give away for free any changes or improvements in the basic computer code to anyone who wants to build on it. Then those people have to give away the changes they make for free, and so on and so on. This creates a huge community of "developers" working to improve the basic android code and that is why Android is taking off so fast, and will it will likley soon surpass the iPhone OS in terms of number of users and available apps.

At present I think the main group doing this for the Samsung Moment is at a site called "SDX Developers" - Google it and you will find their site and information about how to download and install these ROMs. It is pretty complicated and you would have to be willing to take the time to read a bit before trying it, or get a more computer savvy freind to help you.

FYI, you CAN "brick" your phone if you do it wrong, (e.g. make it as usable as a brick) though my impression is that it is pretty uncommon. The bigger reason that I have not rooted my phone (though I am pretty tech savvy) is that Sprint techs won't work on your phone if you have rooted it, nor will they replace it if something goes wrong. With a phone that has this many problems, I am not willing to take that risk.

Journeyman

Yes SDX- Developers dot com is the best place to go to learn and get what u need to mod the moment. BRICKING your phone is very uncommon and usually only happens when a rom or mod is in the testing phaze. When a rom or mod is no longer in testing it is usually as stable as stock, and u run almost no risk of messing up your phone.

If u r worried about the warranty u can always flash to stock and no one, not even a tech can see that anything was done previously. Flashing to stock is done exactly the same way you upgrade your phone from 1.5 android to 2.1 by using your pc. Rooting and flashing roms is very overwhelming at first but get easier after a few times of doing it. Remember android/google phones are linux phones esentially and info from manufacturers is released specific so people can mod their phones.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat