cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

manually upgrading moment to android 2.0

Highlighted
Journeyman

manually upgrading moment to android 2.0

is it possible to manually upgrade samsung moment to android 2.0?

is it recommended not to do so?  has anyone tried this yet?

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: manually upgrading moment to android 2.0

Possible...YES!  Attainable....Close.....recommended......??????????  It will void your warranty and you can brick your phone (as in turn it into a brick...paperweight...etc..).

With that being said....you can get rid of a lot of crap on your phone like the crummy sprint apps that you may not want to use (bejeweled demo, spring nascar, sprint TV (sucks), weather widgets (better ones out there), etcc......

If you search Samsung Moment rooting on google, you'll find the forums where they are working towards this and then you can determine if you want to try it.

I am going to root enough to get rid of the baked in sprint apps and move all apps to SD card but wait for Sprint/Samsung to come out with operating system upgrades.

Journeyman

is the act of upgrading the warranty violator or merely rooting it a violation?  i'd like to root it, but i'm a little apprehensive of getting my phone in a state where restoration is a pain.

Journeyman

Sprint announced via their twitter account that the upgrade to 2.0 for the Moment and Hero will be released in the first half of 2010.  I for one will wait until 2.0 is officially released by Sprint.  The rooting effort on the Moment is not 100% yet.  There are still issues.

Journeyman

good luck, lol. With samsung's NAND flash being hardware locked right now, it's hard for us to do anything. We just figured out that this phone probably isn't even capable of OTA updates if Sprint said it would be OK.

http://www.samsungmomentforum.com/rooting/

Journeyman

We are still having a lot of discussion about the possibility of an OTA upgrade (i believe an OTA upgrade is possible since we can already reflash the firmware via odin.. the trick is in samsungs propreitery code)...

Bricking the samsung moment is NOT AN ISSUE ANYMORE! You do not need to bring it back to the store (but you can)... there is a guide to using ODIN and the downloader mode on the phone to reflash the firmware back to stock (this is the only option currently to do a real hardware reset)...

As for moving the apps to the sd card, note app2sd does not currently work on the moment and be careful when rooting to remove the native applications.. I have boot looped my phone 4 different times following a temp root to get the apps off.. Trying to figure out what is causing the boot loop is a headache but i believe it has something to do with teh adb daemon running on a computer that is connected to the phone while it is booting up since that is usually when it happens to me...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat