cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung moment 2.1 upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung moment 2.1 upgrade

I want to purchase the Moment but waiting for 2.1 upgrade. I spoke with 3 people today at Sprint in different locations...and they all told me the 2.1 upgrade is available now for the Moment. They told me if I buy the Moment...they can do the upgrade for me in the store. Has anyone else heard this?

Can anyone explain what will be the differences between Android 1.5 and 2.1? I'm new to the Android phones...I have a Touch Pro now. Thanks.

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Journeyman

well either you missunderstood or they might just be really telling the truth. if the 2.1 upgrade is out it will be everywhere on the sites like phonedog. so i doubt that it is out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ahhhhhhhhhhhh they are totally wrong! There is an update but it is a simple firmware update that helps battery life and gps as well as some apps run better. The Moment is a great phone but there is not any 2.1 updates as of yet. Even though Verizon and Tmobile both have droids running 2.0 Sprint again is behind the pack and playing catch up. If you want a moment, you may want to wait a few months until an actual upgrade comes out, who knows Sprint might even launch a new phone since they have not launched anything in months other than mifi or an Iden that no one buys anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd really like to know what the rush is? Verizon has 2.0. However, they don't have 2.1 yet. I bought my phone 6 days ago and it still has Android 1.5 on it. In using the phone for 6 days, the Moment is a thousand times better than the Samsung Instinct. So there's not much that's really wrong with the phone. It's not like anything has been crippled by Sprint, unlike the way AT&T has crippled the Motorola Backflip.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/191036/motorola_backflip_on_atandt_not_the_full_android_experience.html

"The option to install unofficial applications -- that is, apps found  outside of the official Android Market -- is mysteriously missing from  the device; the "Unknown sources" setting is simply not present on the  "Applications"  menu, where   it'd normally be found."

We are getting a very open & free Android as it was meant to be. At least we have confirmaton from Sprint that:

a.) Sprint has the 2.1 update & is working with HTC & Samsung on upgrade options.

b.) It is being tested by Sprint for a smooth update. Compared to MR 6 for the Instinct which wasn't test thoroughly, Sprint is working to get it done right.

c.) Testing is going smoothly & the release has been bumped from 1H 2010 to 2Q 2010.

d.) More Sprint employees are aware of the 2.1 update & know it's coming, just not when.

Compared to the Instinct days when we didn't know jack, nobody could confirm jacksquat about anything, the communication level from Sprint on the 2.1 update has been pretty direct. Trust me, you guys have NO IDEA how bad it was, unless you were a former Instinct customer.

My advice to you guys is to chill out & wait till Sprint says "We're ready to roll out Android 2.1 & here are the details." You guys constantly asking like the Simpson kids, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" It's been like this since November! Relax, chill out, go smoke, get laid, go see a movie. It drops when it drops.

Peace.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@jogomez721 - Amen brother!  I had the original Instinct and whew, I was at Sprint on day one to get the Moment just to get away from that horrid phone and it's lack of updates, "closed development", etc.

The Moment has it's issues but Sprint is doing a good job with the band-aids for our bleeding edge technology. (open door for flame) Yes, blah blah blah Moment on 1.5, etc, blah!  It is still bleeding edge tech.  Go pull your cell phone out from 2 years ago and compare.  Not even close.

I have the following problems with my phone.  I have CL14 btw.  This is my second phone.  The first one got bricked around the end of November because I had PandaHome set as my default home app and on reboot, the phone went into an infinite loop. You could tell it was trying to start up the GUI interface and just kept looping.  And since this was pre-CL14 and there was no boot-button factory reset combo, the Sprint Tech could not access the phone to perform a reinstall of the original firmware, so they gave me a new phone.

Bluetooth - looses it's paired Identity Named device, like Sony's "XPLOD", in settings and only shows the MAC address of the BT device I was connected to.  Only way to correct is to unpair, rescan, and connect.  Annoying but not a show stopper.

WiFi - enable/disable can cause 3G radio to go out to lunch and hang with Up Arrow being lit permanent until you power cycle the phone. I've also seen WiFi cycling cause the 3G radio Icon disappear completely and never return until power cycle.

Airplane Mode - Only had it happen one time pre-CL14, post-CL14 I have it constantly. I need my phone for OnCall Pager/SMS notification so this is quiet annoying.  I've especially seen Airplane Mode activate over night while WiFi is enabled and I'm plugged into the AC Wall Charger.  With WiFi on and phone on battery power, it almost never happens over night.

Outside of that, battery is good pre-CL14 with conditioning, post-CL14 is good too.

I would classify myself as a power user because I'm running:

Lookout to guard against virii and backing up my camera pictures

MyBackup Pro backing my phone up nightly to Internet and SD Card

Sync'ing Google Cal, email, contacts always

IMAP non-Google Email account polling for new emails

Moxier's Work Email connected to my work's Exchange server, getting direct push of emails, calendar, contacts.  No tasks.

FeedR is always updating my Slashdot feeds and about 15 others

Facebook Widget is up and alway updating

When I'm in my truck I'm Bluetooth'd to my XPLOD, doing A Online Radio to stream Shoutcast station 977TheHitz.

When at my work desk, I'm AOR (A Online Radio) streaming

When at home, I'm WiFi for all data connections

Play RoboDefense constantly

I can go on and on but in conclusion I'd have to say that with all the minor problems this phone has, the stuff I'm able to do is amazing.

I hope 2.1 fixes some of the phones various radio problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The only Android phones out there with 2.0, as far as I know, have had it from the beginning.  The Droid has 2.0 because it came out with it when it was available.  The other verizon droid eris has 1.5.  So in actuality Sprint does not seem to be behind everyone else.  Chill out with the "OMG can I haz 2.1 yet" You are probably a month away give or take.

Highlighted
Journeyman

judy170 wrote:

I want to purchase the Moment but waiting for 2.1 upgrade. I spoke with 3 people today at Sprint in different locations...and they all told me the 2.1 upgrade is available now for the Moment. They told me if I buy the Moment...they can do the upgrade for me in the store. Has anyone else heard this?

Can anyone explain what will be the differences between Android 1.5 and 2.1? I'm new to the Android phones...I have a Touch Pro now. Thanks.

This update is not available yet. Please send me a PM if you can remember who supplied you with this information from the Sprint retail store. Thank you. - izzyks

Highlighted
Journeyman

The number of people who are claiming to have spoken to sprint rep's about this is shocking.  I've noticed though that cell phone rumors spread like wildfire and lots of people believe in them.   I just don't understand the why.  In either case, these people are lying or there is a few sprint reps going around and spreading rumors to be spitful...

I don't really care about 2.1.  All I want is WAP enterprise to work.  Give me 1.6 for google maps and I'm good.  I realize upon getting this phone that when the moment or hero gets 2.1 it is not going to be equal to the 2.1 on the nexus one.  These are different devices and each have their pros and cons.  We know Sprint is getting new phones next year.  Most of us are using the data plan and within in a year time we will be able to upgrade again.

Despite the flaws of my moment it is still the best phone I've ever owned.  It would be nice to see some more positive feedback on this phone when visiting these forums.

Highlighted
Journeyman

*******     I have had 1.5 since Nov. 1, 2009 other phones have had 2.0 for 4 months. sprint is the only phone with 1.5 that is on the market

Mod note: please refrain from name calling on the site.

Message was edited by: izzyks

Highlighted
Journeyman

AT&T

Moto Backflip - 1.5 (note also that this is AT&T's first android phone and is coming out AFTER 2.1 has been released but is still running 1.5)

T-Mobile

Moto CLIQ - 1.5

Samsung Behold 2 - 1.6

G-1 - either 1.5 or 1.6 not sure

MyTouch 3g - 1.6

Verizon

Droid Eris - 1.5

Moto Droid - 2.0 (released after 2.0 was available, which means the phone was developed from beginning with this version)

Google

Nexus One 2.1 (but hey google owns this phone hard to compare to them)

So if you ask me Sprint is ahead of AT&T, has less android phones than T-Mobile, but not behind with versions, and only a little behind the droid.

So to answer your question.. No I am not retarded.  And no sprint is not the only company with a 1.5 phone on the market.

edit: had a typo cause I am retarded

Message was edited by: arosenbury

Highlighted
Journeyman

LOL You forgot to mention the VZ Motorolla Devour.  It isnt out yet and its only gonna have 1.6.  This from the same company and for the same carrier that has 2.0 on their DROID.  Splain that.

Message was edited by: izzyks

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do find it interesting that motorola is one of the few companies to have a 2.x device and yet they continue to come out with 1.x devices.  I wonder if they are having trouble getting motoblur to work on 2.x.  Does the droid have motoblur?  I do not think it does.

I am looking forward to the 800MHz Moment running some 2.1 love, it will be very nice.  I hope we get live wallpapers!!!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat