Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung moment 2.1 upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung moment 2.1 upgrade

I want to purchase the Moment but waiting for 2.1 upgrade. I spoke with 3 people today at Sprint in different locations...and they all told me the 2.1 upgrade is available now for the Moment. They told me if I buy the Moment...they can do the upgrade for me in the store. Has anyone else heard this?

Can anyone explain what will be the differences between Android 1.5 and 2.1? I'm new to the Android phones...I have a Touch Pro now. Thanks.

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Journeyman

I was thinking about the Android situation out there and was thinking that Sprint has a real opportunity right now.  They may not have the most Android phones, or the most powerful Android phones, but they have an opportunity to be the cellular company out there that is most active in supporting their Android users by being the first to fully upgrade their Android line of phones.

There is a lot of complaining about Sprint and Android on this forum, but if you really think about they could be the top company when it comes to working on and implementing updates for their Android users.  Since there is no other cell carrier out there that has implemented a major update for a single one of their phones.  (this is kind of excluding the nexus one since it is managed mostly by google and not a cell phone carrier.  Hard to compete with a company who develops a phone and an operating system.)

Message was edited by: arosenbury found some typos

Highlighted
Journeyman

Make sure you speak slowly when calling your local sprint store.

I called to ask if the update was available based on hearing rumors, and I was told yes, i even asked twice.

I went to the store and was told that they wouldn't know if an update was available until the tech looked at it.
After returning to the store 2 hours later I found out that there was a firmware fix for the battery/bluetooth/market, but not Android.

I should have known better, but the lesson is ask again and again until you get someone who knows the truth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i just called the local sprint service center and asked them over and over, about the firmware 2.1 update for moment and they kept saying yes we have it or you can do it online. haven't seen anywhere online and don't want to waste my time going up there and they lied i'd be very very upset.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They do not have the 2.1 update for the phone, they will have the CL14 update.

They are probably confused for this reason, the 2.1 update is a software update not a firmware update.  CL14 is a firmware update.  If you called it a 2.1 firmware update that doesnt make any sense and they should have clarified with you instead of just telling you yes.

CL14 firmware update is available, 2.1 software update is not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

atm your android firmware is version 1.5

Highlighted
Journeyman

Verizon just announced today they're rolling the 2.1 update out to Droid users starting soon, and Samsung announced an update rollout for another Android set in EU.

Hopefully this means the ball is rolling for us Moment users - and faster than previously.

Sprint/Samsung - a lot of us have been waiting patiently, can we please have a tighter projection on when the update will be rolling out for us?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I for one can wait until the bugs are worked out of 2.1 for the moment.  What is worse, having to remain on 1.5 with a decent phone, or jumping to a buggy o/s just to say we have it.

Personally, I never buy anything right after it hits the market and never upgrade to an X.0 version of anything.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do find it funny that the people most desirous of "new" are also the quickest to scream "broken".  I'll wait for the 2.1 to come out whenever it does and then go over to SDX and download the fixed version of it. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

that's what I'm talking about!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Othan 1

I think that is not totally fair. For many of us, we are demanding new BECAUSE the phone is broken. I am on my third Moment at this point and continue to have ongoing daily issues with it. This is far and away the best one I have had so far, and today the phone went into airplane mode just sitting on my desk for the 100th time. I missed two important client calls and only got the messages when I picked up the phone to look at it because I had not heard back. My first two phones had non-existant GPS, and until this one I was lucky to get 4 hours of battery life just sitting on my desk unused. It has become clear to me that many of the problems are hardware issues as my second phone lasted less than 4 hours without a single marketplace application installed other than a battery meter. This phone lasts me 8+ hours filled to the brim with running software. However, there are clearly software issues as well and many of us hope 2.1 will solve some of these. I am going to wait until it comes out, see how it goes for a week and if I am still having problems going to request a NEW (not refurbished) phone and see if that will make the difference. We are not complaining just to whine. For many of us this phone has very serious issues that have not been resolved by replacment or the previous software updates.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Potential customer here looking forward to the upgrade. Haven't been exactly sure if I've wanted to switch to Sprint yet because of the percieved lack of progress or official date for the upgrade. Would love to have the Nexus One, but that is probably a while away even though it was announced today that it will be available on Sprint.

I may just suck it up and switch to Sprint for our two-line family plan and get two Samsung Moments. If the upgrade doesn't happen in Q2-2010 like has been said, I can just buy a Nexus One unsubsidized myself when it's available on the Sprint CDMA network from Google.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint is no further behind updating than any other carrier.

Only 2 devices had 2.1 update "officially" and VZ is the only one in the US and it wnot start till today (maybe) in limited amounts.  Their other Droid phone the Eris (similar to our Hero) does not have a date yet, neither does their Devour (came out less than a month ago).

Tmobile no dates on G1, MyTouch 3G, Cliq or Behold

ATT has not date on the Backflip.

Ignore the "percieved lack of progress" until all those other phone (some of which came out after the Android 2.0 was released and shortly after the Android 2.1 was released)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat