cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is upload speed capped?

Journeyman

Is upload speed capped?

Here http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/218030#218030 it talks about an issue with upload speed being capped (different phone).  Here http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/45705?start=105&tstart=0 is a thread from samsung epic that mentions the problem being fixed for that phone.  That was from over a year ago.

With my Samsung replinish I cannot get faster than 173kbps upload speed.  It doesn't matter time of day or night, what town I'm in, or how good my download speed is (anywhere from 0.2mbps to 1.89mbps), my upload speed will never go above 176kbps.  The only time it has gone above 173kbps is when I connected and used Wifi.  Is this a known issue?   I'm not sure if location is pertinenet, but zipcodes in MN would be 56073, 56085, 56258, 56001.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Is upload speed capped?

As far as I know, Sprint does not cap the data speeds that low for upload. i believe that the upload is supposed to be limited to around 500kbps. How are you testing your connection? Make sure that you are using an average of upload speeds, as the issue might be temporary during the middle of the upload.

I use the Speedtest.net android app for my phone, and it tests my upload speeds at 400kbps. I actually called Sprint before for this same issue on my phone(just with download speeds), and they informed me that 3G downloads are 600kbps-1.4mbps, and upload speeds are 350kbps-500kbps. If that is what your true average speed is, you may want to consider calling customer care to troubleshoot the data connection on your phone.

Journeyman

Is upload speed capped?

I know it's not the way I was testing.  It's pretty hard to mess up a simple speedtest.net result, especially over 300 times in 3 months or so and on various samsung replenish phones. I was curious if other people with Replenish phones are having the same issue with upload speed.  It's possible that all 4 phones coincidentally have the same data connection problem with upload speeds and it could be fixed by taking them in, but I highly doubt it.

Master

Is upload speed capped?

Your speeds are most often related to the switch that authorizes the data transfer - we refer to this a "the switch". If you are in the same regional area even if you are on different towers you will most likely go through the same switch. Troubleshooting looks at the entire path your data takes and not just the phone and the tower. I would suggest you call in and have them track your usage in a program called "service trender" to see which towers you are on and which switches you are using.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Is upload speed capped?

Those download and upload speeds are awesome.  I wish I had received those kind of speeds.  Be thankful.  There are alot of customers who dont get near those speeds.

Journeyman

Is upload speed capped?

The download speeds are great now.  They use to be completely awful about a month ago until Sprint finished doing the upgrades in the areas.  Like most sprint users who post about data speeds on here I was often getting 0.1mbps and lucky to reach 0.3mbps download, and that was with 1000-1600 ping.  Now I can actually get 1mbps with 200-500 ping at peak hours.  Not near as good as verizon, but definately worth having a data plan since it's usable.

And thanks for the response OKIESTRO, i'll have a better idea to know what to ask for when I call in.

Journeyman

Is upload speed capped?

Well this sucks.  The reason upload speed is so slow is because the Replenish uses Rev 0 and not Rev A .  Talking to the people at the sprint store and calling customer service was a waste of time.  Ya'll gotta start stealing those best buy mobile sales representives cuz that is where I found the real answer.  I would have never gone with the Samsung Replenish if I knew terrible upload speeds was a feature with the phone.

Sprint Employee

Re: Is upload speed capped?

Hello AnonymousCustomer, The Samsung replenish is listed as Rev A in many sites, Rel 0 does have an upload speed limitation of 144 Kbps, Rev A is limited to 1.8 Mbps.

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat