See below for the Press release announcing the Samsung Replenish. You can learn more about this device here.
Today at The Commonwealth Club, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse unveiled several progressive initiatives that continue Sprint’s environmental leadership in the wireless industry. These include offering two powerful devices from Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile), the stylish Samsung Replenish™ from Sprint, an Android touch QWERTY device enabled with Sprint ID and an optional solar charging battery cover and the earth-friendly1 Samsung Restore™, first available from Sprint in 2010, coming to Virgin Mobile USA customers without a contract.
Samsung Replenish will be available on May 8 in all Sprint channels, including sprint.com, 1-800-SPRINT1, Best Buy, RadioShack and Walmart, at the incredibly affordable price of $49.99 with a new-line activation or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement. The optional solar battery cover for Samsung Replenish, as well as an Eco-cover made from Naturacell2, will also be available starting May 8. Samsung Restore, the first green device from Virgin Mobile, will be available on April 18 for just $79.99 (taxes and surcharges excluded) and no contract. Virgin Mobile offers Beyond Talk™ unlimited data plans starting at $25 per month.
As a special promotion in-line with Sprint’s commitment to environmental responsibility, Sprint is waiving the $10 per month premium data add-on charge for customers purchasing Samsung Replenish.
Samsung Replenish, Sprint’s first eco-friendly Android smartphone boasts access to more than 150,000 apps in Android Market™, is partially built with recycled plastics3 and recyclable packaging4 making it the ideal choice for the environmentally conscious consumer who needs the latest technology. The phone will also be enabled with Sprint ID which lets customers personalize their device instantly with eco-friendly focused apps and mobile content.
The stylish, full-featured Samsung Replenish includes:
• Touch QWERTY bar phone with 2.8-inch QVGA main display
• Android 2.2, Froyo, with access to more than 150,000 apps on the Android Market
• Special access to Sprint ID packs, including Green ID pack
• Solar door charging accessory (sold separately)
• 2 megapixel camera and camcorder – upload, share and store pictures with Photobucket, Facebook®, MySpace® and upload video to YouTube
• Wi-Fi® and GPS capable
• microSD Card Slot that supports up to a 32GB memory card
• Three color options – Onyx Black, Arctic Blue and Raspberry Pink (in June)
It includes the following eco-credentials:
• Reduced environmentally sensitive materials (RoHS compliant5, free of intentionally added polyvinyl chloride (PVC), brominated flame retardants (BFRs), phthalates, and beryllium)
• Energy efficient, with a charger that meets the EC Code of Conduct on Energy Efficiency of External Power Supplies, Version 4, as well as a visual alert for full charge
• Casing includes 34.6 percent post-consumer recycled plastic content (the highest level in our eco-portfolio) and 82 percent of the device is made from recyclable materials
• Fully recyclable packaging that incorporates 80 percent post-consumer waste material and uses soy inks
• Includes a postage-paid envelop to recycle your old phone and promotes a virtual user guide available on the Sprint website – www.sprint.com
Samsung Replenish requires activation on one of Sprint’s Everything Data plans. The Everything Data plan with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM includes unlimited text, Web and calling to and from any mobile in America while on the Sprint network, starting at just $69.99 per month – a savings of $39.99 per month versus Verizon’s comparable plan with unlimited talk, text and Web (pricing excludes surcharges and taxes).
Samsung Restore is a full-feature messaging whiz, offering a slide-out QWERTY with 4-row keyboard, 2 megapixel camera and camcorder, Stereo Bluetooth® wireless technology, and social networking shortcuts to Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter. Additional features include:
• Access to Sprint 3G Network
• 2.4-inch LCD screen with portrait and landscape orientation
• Navigate with preloaded Google Maps and Virgin Navigator
• Meets Sprint Eco-Criteria http://www.sprint.com/responsibility/environment/devicemarkercriteria.html including reduced environmentally sensitive materials, energy efficiency, use of recycled materials
• Built-in media player
• Expandable memory to 32GB
Green Sprint ID Pack
Hesse also announced the availability of Sprint’s newest Sprint ID pack – the Green ID pack. Sprint’s new Green Sprint ID pack, provides instant personalization in a single download with apps, widgets and mobile shortcuts on the user’s device, features apps from eco-conscious favorites such as TreeHugger.com, Earth911.com, Green America and the National Audubon Society.
Starting today, owners of Sprint ID-capable devices like the LG Optimus S™, Samsung Epic™ 4G* and Samsung Galaxy Tab™ can load the Green ID pack onto their device in one simple click. Samsung Replenish will offer the Green ID pack when it launches on May 8. Like all other Sprint ID packs, the Green ID pack is free to download with Sprint’s Everything Data plan.
Sprint’s industry-leading role in corporate responsibility and environmental sustainability continues to receive recognition:
1 The terms “earth-friendly”, “green”, “eco-focused”, “environmentally-conscious”, “eco-friendly”, “eco-centric” and other ecological terms refer to the product, packaging and recycling initiatives as described in this release and applicable product documentation, websites, and other referenced programs.
2 Naturacell is a plant-based plastic resin.
3 Recycled-plastic is made from a mix of polylactic acid (from corn) and polycarbonate (from new or post-consumer recycled polycarbonate).
4 Recycling programs may not exist in your area.
5 Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive, 2002/95/EC as amended.
6 4G used in connection with the Samsung Epic product name refers to the fact that the Epic is capable of operating on Sprint’s WiMax network.