cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube videos no longer play

Journeyman

Whether in the specific YouTube viewer that came installed on Replenish, or while using the Browser, any time I attempt to view a YouTube video, I receive a message that the video cannot load or play.

In the YouTube viewer, the error message says, "There was a problem while playing. Touch to retry."

In the Browser, on the YouTube site (or on any YouTube embedded video on any other site), the error says, "Cannot play video. Sorry this video cannot be played."

I don't recall changing any settings that might affect that aspect of my phone. 

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

18 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: YouTube videos no longer play

Couple of questions, then some ideas.

First, is it only with high quality videos or all videos? Second, Have you tried clearing the application cache?

Now the ideas. You can clear the application cache by going into settings > applications > manage applications > YouTube > Clear cache/Clear data.

Try switching to WiFi and watching the same video. If it plays normally you may have an issue with the data in your area. If this is the case send me a PM and I'll help you figure it out.

Journeyman

CliffyMcJ -

It was *any* video, regular or HQ.

I hadn't tried clearing the YouTube application cache, so I did that. Then I tried watching a YouTube video first using Browser, then using the YouTube app: same errors.

Hooked it up to our wifi (hadn't tried that at home) - and it works if it's using wifi -- videos will play in both the Browser and on the YouTube app.

I'll PM you... Thanks.

Wizard

Did you get your issue resolved?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Trangers77 -

Not yet. CliffyMcj is working with me on it. When we figure it out, I'll post what worked to solve the problem. Unless you have ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Journeyman

It sounds like the problem has been isolated as I can play any videos while on wifi. Should have searched this thread before calling support - they walked me through a hard reset which of course did not help. Hopefully, someone notifies support the next person doesn't have to do an unnecessary reset.

Journeyman

Today is the day!    

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a Sprint technical services person -- we did the only thing we hadn't done yet: hard reset.  NOPE. Didn't work.

Funny thing happened though... After my phone was all reset, updated, reinstalled, and I was putting it back to "MY" preferences... I got a notice from Market that there was a manual YouTube update available.

And guess what?!  I ran that update & NOW MY PHONE CAN PLAY YOUTUBE VIDEOS AGAIN ON 3G, both in the Browser and in the YouTube app!!!! 

Journeyman

I received the same YouTube update and it did not correct my issue.

Journeyman

RSJNASD -

I wonder if it worked for my phone because mine had *just* been factory/hard reset? I was hoping that it was simply the update - that it'd fix everyone's problem.

As much of a pain in the butt it is to factory reset it (I made a list of my favorite apps and made sure all my needed documents were on my SD card and backed up to my computer), it may be worth it if you really want YouTube to call Sprint and have them walk you through a factory reset (unless you don't need to be walked through and can do it on your own, that is!)

I hope everyone elses issue is solved soon. (And that this really was "THE" fix -- who knows, I may be posting back here later today that it's not working again... Since I've seen posts on the other two boards about that happening....)

Good luck to everyone.

Wizard

RSJNASD,

I'm sorry you're still experiencing the issue, I am going to send you a private message. I believe the issue you're experiencing is related to a network configuration bug affecting a small group of our customers related to streaming media.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.