cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 for the Samsung Transform

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.2 for the Samsung Transform

It has been far too long of a wait, and as a long-standing customer, I would like to be heard. We need the Android to be updated on the Samsung Transform from 2.1 to 2.2, this has gone on long enough. By the time you actually give us 2.2, everyone else will be on 2.3. There isn't much incentive to buy a phone if the LARGE company that sells it isn't willing to keep it updated. It is ridiculous that tiny companies like Metro PCS already have droid phones on 2.2, while SPRINT is still pushing them stock with 2.1. Consider your customers, and give us the upgrade, please.

Sidenote about the Transform: What is the point of a front-facing camera if you can't use it for video chat?

Message was edited by: takashistorm11

887 REPLIES 887
Highlighted
Journeyman

As far as what the update will unclude when Eclair (Android 2.1) is upgraded to Froyo (Android 2.2), the biggest part will be the ability to utilize Adobe Flash. Although some 3rd party browsers (Skyfire 3.0 is the only one I'm sure of) have a built in applet or something that attempts to play certain videos that might otherwise not run on Eclair systems without Flash, but it doesn't always work. Actually, I've never seen more than a few random videos work, but its a nice band-aid. The upgrade to Froyo should give Transform users (as well as Epic and Zio users) full video functionality on the web.

The other big thing with Froyo is the nice speed boost all around, coming from Eclair. The included browser, I've heard, operates much more efficiently than Eclair's built in option, although this may not matter to those using nice 3rd party browsers such as Opera Mini or Skyfire. With an 800MHz processor in the Transform, it seems to get a little bogged down or laggy when it comes to apps loading or multitasking. Hopefully, the improvements in Froyo's kernel make for a speedier overall experience. My Transform has performed well overall, about what I thought I was getting for $99 after rebate. I've noticed while playing around with the LG Optimus how much smoother it seemed to move about Android, albiet with only a 600MHz processor. I'm willing to bet the Transform will be quite the speedster with an update. Although there's no apples to apples comparison, as the Optimus has 512MB of RAM (Transform only 256MB), the Samsung should leap ahead given a new Froyo update.

And, although I probably wouldn't use the front facing camera when Froyo comes to my Transform, the fact that I can't use a function of my phone until Samsung decides to send out an full OS update is incredibly ridiculous. Regardless, there's another feature: Skype won't work on Transform until 2.2, nor the Epic 4G.

While there's probably other features Froyo is intended to bring, the biggest are certainly a relatively large speed boost and Flash support. Let's hope it happens in the next month...

P.S.

Don't blame Sprint on this one guys, this is ALL on Samsung's doing. Anyone blaming Sprint for the delay on the Froyo holdout is barking up the wrong tree.

Also, to those (and there are a few, I'm seen) who love to think that the real reason the Optimus is quicker is due to a "dual-core" processor, its not exactly true. LG gave the Optimus a 600MHz application processor with a separate 400MHz modem processor of sorts. Not a true dual-core like some of the newer phones out (at least not on Sprint yet)

Cheers!

Highlighted
Journeyman

To wumberpeb: okay.. so if you were in the market for a new phone would you be considering the Optimus or the Transform (with the hopes that the Transform will receive the update to 2.2)...?

my fear is me buying the Transform and then finding out that it wont ever get the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

LOL, I would take the Transform over the Optimus, everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Personally I would like to have the HTC Shift, but not going to happening, Anyway the Transform runs great, getting better everyday, as to who or whom to place blame 60/40 split, Sprint and Samsung are both at fault.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You'd do that in the here and now running stock? A Transform with sluggish UI, hardware button glitches, no google sync, etc.? Currently, an out-of-the-box Transform is a mess and will continue to be so until updates unknown. The only way to really enjoy the phone is to root/flash your own kernel/ROM to fix Sprint/Samsung's mistake. Meanwhile, you can take a LG Optimus S right out of the box and have a butter-smooth interface, no glaring device "quirks" to learn....the thing just works. You're not at the mercy of a Samsung "whenever" device update, you just buy it and have fun.

From a developer standpoint, the hardware in the Samsung Transform beats an LG Optimus S any day of the week. However, for customers that don't/can't/won't run anything but stock (ie. my parents), the LG Optimus S is currently Sprint's best non-3G option. It could be possible that Samsung could similarly polish smooth the Samsung Transform experience in a future update, but nobody can give a date with any degree of certainty.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Long story short, people are buying the Samsung Transform in a promise from Samsung that it will eventually give a proper Android experience. When that promise will be filled, however, is completely up in the air. For example, the Android 2.2 patch could come out Febuary, but the firmware update to fix it's "sticky buttons" glitch might actually come out in April...or 2012. Meanwhile, customers today could buy an LG Optimus S and not have to wonder "when will (insert glitch here) be fixed?", and just get on enjoying their phone.

Or, if people can be bothered to read a simple root/flash FAQ guide, you can have a badass product today regardless of hardware. Just be sure to follow proper re-stock flashing before an OTA update and you're gold.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately, I don't think any of us are privvy to the corporate dance between Samsung & Sprint to decide which party is at fault for updates, and for how much. All we know is that both Samsung and Sprint allowed the product to be released into the market in an unfinished state. The Samsung Transform would've been a killer product had it released later with all issues fixed...which might cause problems with Sprint's 4G Epic push. Why pay $100+ (and $10/month) for the Samsung Epic when you could get most of the useful goodies on a cheaper phone?

Currently, I believe the Samsung Epic's premium hardware lets it compensate for Android 2.1's sluggishness. Unfortunately, the Transform's hardware just doesn't have the hardware resources to hulk thru this (it is a mid-range phone after all), and so the device runs a bit glitchy. Once Android 2.2 lands though, the Samsung Epic should really scream, and the Samsung Transform should run much smoother.

Highlighted
Journeyman

hmmm i think its funny how they can hold out month after month with no update.....i wonder if i should hold out a couple of months without paying my bill. I refuse to get another samsung phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

9738857776 wrote:

hmmm i think its funny how they can hold out month after month with no update.....i wonder if i should hold out a couple of months without paying my bill. I refuse to get another samsung phone.

You cannot hold out your payment, that would go against a contract you signed with them and blah blah blah.  But you can demand to get a credit for the inconvenience (As I mentioned earlier in this thread).  Just open up the chat and be polite and let them know they broke their promise and you want to get a credit this month.  Aim for about 10% off your bill, asking for too much will get you turned down.  I put more info about how to do that on my blog (that I can't link here because Sprint Forum Guidelines), but I'm sure you can find more info about this by using google and searching for something like 'Samsung 2.2 Update."  And if you attached my username  to your search who knows what you would discover.

I was holding off on it, but I think I might flash mine this weekend.  My Transform has only had sluggish issues every now and then. Most of the time it works pretty good.  But if it could run just 10% smoother, then why not?  That and I still am not happy that the default Transform doesn't have the ability to use live wallpapers. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's why I went with a new (free)  Lg Optimus s it has 2.2 and had no problems just cost me another year on my contract had it sense the first of the year, cons no slide out keyboard,I will sell my tranaform or will collect dust with ever comes first

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had alot of problems with my Transform so I returned it and got a refund. Does anyone know of any Prepay phones like at Walmart or Best Buy that you can root? How about the I 1?

Highlighted
Journeyman

like what problems? were they hardware or software related

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Transform had some problems, mostly software I believe, apps that would not close, general sluggish behavior, slow loading speeds on some things, and I swear downloading apps from the store seemed to crawl.  Probably a lot of people experience this and hope that 2.2 will fix it.

Being an uber geek I decided it best to root/flash the phone just a few days ago.  I won't tell you how to do it as I followed instructions found in many spots.  It carries a huge risk of bricking your phone and is not for those who are not technologically adept.  But if you do give it a go, and do it successfully, you'll find the performance much better.  That and you can get Live Wallpapers on the thing finally.  Do your research first to make sure you fully understand what you are doing, and what warranties it might void and so forth.

Also, as I like to mention, if you are not happy with the lack of a 2.2 update that was basically promised for the Transform by the end of 2010, demand a service credit! Be polite, explain your situation, and ask for a reasonable amount, say 10% of your bill. I posted how I did it with further information on my blog, which I cannot link here due to Sprint Forum Guidelines, but thank goodness you have Google, and you can search for 'Samsung Transform 2.2 update,' and who knows if you include my username in your search...maybe that'll lead you to something interesting.

I really hope they release the update soon, but thankfully rooting/flashing my phone has brought mine into a more usable state. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat