cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 for the Samsung Transform

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 for the Samsung Transform

I think you're talking about the INTERCEPT got the update. The Instinct isn't an Android phone.

Anyway, I've got another idea. You know how every site out there that sells phones has a user reviews section, I say we just start scouring the web and posting our thoughts on this matter. Not necessarily to slam the phone itself, but to point out this whole situation and advise others to avoid it until the update is out, or even to avoid Sprint's Android phones altogether due to the way they're handled. I personally pay a lot of attention to the user reviews on sites when purchasing a phone, moreso to the negative ones. Anybody can post a glowing review, but I want to see what people didn't like about it.

*ADDED*

I just posted the following review on Best Buy's (where i bought mine) site, pending approval of course. Will also be posting to the Sprint store an any others I can find soon.

I like the phone. It has it's glitches now and then such as not letting you answer calls.

Brings me to my biggest issue with the phone that would likely fix the problem I mentioned above. This phone was supposed to have received the Android 2.2 update by the end of 2010. http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1662

I purchased the phone under the pretense that it would have this update a month or so after I bought it. I'm a techy person, so I would never buy any such product that was essentially retired already.

This is a moot point for anyone considering purchasing now since it's obviously already 2011; just be aware that we still don't have the upgrade, and neither Sprint nor Samsung will give us any justification why or any word on if/when we can expect to ever see it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

curryre88 wrote:

"You choose your phone based on "facts" that Sprint gave you. You should have done your reserch before buying the phone.  All adverts lies. I bet you were also someone who thought TacoBell was using all beef because their marketing said "Beef.""

I too did my reasearch as well given what was printed as "facts" from Sprint. My motto is, if it's on paper (or in this case black/white typed up), they better produced.

Ohh by the way, Politician's lie to.  It's when they're caught that it becomes a problem for them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got off a chat moments ago....here's the latest info I've received (albeit not the most helpful):

-----

"I understand that you were informed that samsung transform android 2.2 update, However as of now we do not have android 2.2 phone and we do not have any updates regarding this yet."

"I have discussed the case with my supervisor, We have launched the android 2.2 for nearly three days but it was not successful, it dose not have a good feed back from the customers so we stooped. Therefore I request you to please wait for the next update."

-----

No info given to me re when the 'next' update will be, but I was still able to fanagle a credit to my account for the inconvenience.  It's at least a bit reassuring to know that if you communicate with the right rep, Sprint will offer some sort of consolation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just submitted same review to the Sprint phone shop. We'll see if they post it.

Best Buy posted it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Transform+Mobile+Phone+-+Black/1335983.p?id=1218251239200&...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Forget about waiting for the update...They will stall forever until the Epic gets it.  Root is the way to go, as of right now, most everything (including the FFC with Tango) works.  Enjoy the unofficial 2.2 and relax.  The update will come when it gets here.  Sprint and Samsung suck anyways...Rooting will make the wait much easier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ HOANG81, what did you use to root it? I heard alot of the builds are having problems with the FFC and the flash.

Highlighted
Journeyman

that is correct sir. ffc does not work natively with the unofficial froyo. i have heard that it works with tango but i have not tried.

added:

you might as well wait another few days anyway, rumor has it the update will be released march 21st with the epic and tab updates.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Highlighted
Journeyman

Go figure, Sprint didn't post my review. Funny thing is, they DID post about 3 other reviews in the meantime that were mostly negative. Only bad thing I really said in mine was that they wouldn't upgrade us.

Nice to see that post that our update is coming next week. Though I'll believe it when I see it.... =o\

Of course here again this is really just hearsay, no official announcement from Sprint. If it's true they probably won't make a general announcement just so they can yank it again if it causes problems.

What would be interesting is if CS will echo this information since it was "announced" internally.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well now that's cool.  If Android Central is picking up buzzes on this, then it's pretty much a lock because unlike Sprint, they actually do some research before putting things to print.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hate to break it to you Damman900... Yes Android central will research the information, but so did a lot of tech blogs when Sprint said the Transform would get the 2.2 update by the end of 2010.  It doesn't matter if AC does research if the info it finds is not from a source that can be trusted (ie Sprint).

BUT, the info does look promising, but I'm still not going to hold my breath.  If it is true, that means you only have till Monday to demand a well deserved service credit for the lack of the update so far.  I explained how I did it on my blog (http://www.joelthegreat.com/?p=1038), and I just did it for this month and pushed it from about 10% of my bill to 25% of my bill credited.

ALSO, today when I demanded my monthly service credit there was no mention of an update being rolled out next week.  So we shall see.  I'd figure if they did have a set date for the release they would have tried to not give me a credit and make me wait for the update. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Even if they do it is a substandard upgrade no apps to sd, no flash player, Vampirefo still has got them beat and he is not on the stock exchange. Not to mention all the goodies that come along with rooting your phone like free wifi tethering.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat