Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 for the Samsung Transform

Journeyman

Android 2.2 for the Samsung Transform

It has been far too long of a wait, and as a long-standing customer, I would like to be heard. We need the Android to be updated on the Samsung Transform from 2.1 to 2.2, this has gone on long enough. By the time you actually give us 2.2, everyone else will be on 2.3. There isn't much incentive to buy a phone if the LARGE company that sells it isn't willing to keep it updated. It is ridiculous that tiny companies like Metro PCS already have droid phones on 2.2, while SPRINT is still pushing them stock with 2.1. Consider your customers, and give us the upgrade, please.

Sidenote about the Transform: What is the point of a front-facing camera if you can't use it for video chat?

Message was edited by: takashistorm11

887 REPLIES 887
Journeyman

can't say this will solve your problems but i flahsed to original 2.1 stock, then updated to 2.2. yes, there are still some issues but seems more responsive than before.

hopefully sprint working on updating the buggy froyo.

Journeyman

Just to add my 2 cents, I've had the same problems since the upgrade - slow, freezing, etc.  A look at the Task Mgr. frequently shows less than 1mb of RAM available, so that when I open something like the brower, the phone seems to have trouble freeing up memory to run something else.  I can clear the memory which gets the phone up to 15-25% availability at which time the phone runs great until  the memory clogs up again.  In 2.1 I could close all of the bloat (e.g. Sprint Zone) and programs that auto start but I rarely use (e.g. Google Maps) and use ATK to autokill apps that don't close when you exit out of them, but in 2.2 they just restart.  I've uninstalled all of my downloaded programs am using nothing but stock apps.  No change.   I'm going to try a factory reset but am not very optimistic.

Journeyman

Since update my phone does great, but I still keep it simple, not too many apps, what I use instead ATK is Watchdog app, it will show you which app is going crazy on you and taking up Transforms limited RAM, from there you can deal with that particular app... hope this helps, also as much as I hate stock Launcher after trying 3 different ones I noticed stock one is much faster than Go Launcher, ADW or LauncherPRO, I know creazy right?!?!? But it works for me...

Journeyman

TERZICI I totally agree with you..I use Watchdaog also and have went back to the stock launcher too and I too think it is faster.. My phone is running a lot better affter the upgrade. I did have to reboot once taking the battery out, turned out Weather Bug was acting up and I removed it, I just use the Sense Clock that has the weather with it now and everyone thinks it's an HTC.

Journeyman

I uninstalled Weather bug too, for weather i just use built in thing, if you use stock clock widget and click on it it will give you weather, from there you can see forecast for a week or hourly for today, it is more clicks than having weather bug or weather channel widget but i dnt need to know weather every minute and weather widgets take up RAM and we know Transform has just enough to run, everything extra is slowing it down to unusable...

Journeyman

Judging from the hardware specs, the Transform is a very adequate phone. The darn Sprint's software is just buggy and not optimized for performance.

Head over to sdx-developers forums and find yourself a custom ROM. It's crazy, very hard to learn but man, it's the best thing I did. Phone runs smooth. I can't say it's going to be perfect. But so far, I've only got the jittery vibration thing happen to me once so far. No lockups, no freezes.

Journeyman

They had to flash it back to stock, but so far no more locking up that vibrate thing fixes easy enough just by hitting the back arrow. So far so good after being flashed to factory and then having the update reinstalled.  Still a bit slower than I would like but I can deal with that.

Journeyman

GMS, I hope that your phone issues have been resolved.  My experience with my transform has been great since I got it and even better with the update to 2.2 because of the updated features.  I did have an issue today when I tried downloading and installing "accuweather quick" and the phone just froze.  I tried to shut it off and when it did I could'nt turn it back on!  I was able to resolve it by doing a battery pull for the first time (waited 1 min before re-installing the battery) and the phone turned on again.  There was a lag so I quickly uninstalled accuweather and re-installed it again and did a reboot as well (I find the RAM go down dramatically when you reboot just like a desktop or laptop acts since any runaway app is stopped and the RAM freed up).  Everything is smooth again.  The only issue is the occasional vibrate (though I have the vibrate setting to never) and that's easily resolved by hitting the <back> key.  The only ID on my phone aside from the default "My ID" is the "Sprint ID".  You can manage the apps on it by hitting the ID key->Menu->Manage->Sprint ID->Manage and you can then select which apps/wallpaper to remove.  I only removed one app and kept everything as I liked some of the widgets and apps that came with the Sprint ID.  I've installed quite a bit of apps and widgets and filled up my 5 homescreens with them yet I've been able to maintain about 122-140MB/161MB of RAM.  I still have about 90-95 MB of memory left.  Since I updated to 2.2, I moved all the apps that I could move to the SD card(Applications->Manage Applications and cleaned up the cache on all the apps (e.g. Market).  I then opened the browser, hit Menu->More->Settings and just like IE, cleaned up the cache, history, and cookies (you can do form data as well for security).  I took out all the tutorial widgets (sent to "trash") from "My ID" and used the Sprint ID as my ID.  I took out the Spint Zone widget and Messaging widget and used the default android power widget instead to toggle wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync and brightness.  I then added the airplane mode widget, battery life widget, and ringer toggle widget.  I use agenda widget and springpad (installed the springpad small and list view widget) the default google search widget and replaced the Sprint weather(and clock) widget with Fancy Widget.  I run stock 2.2 launcher and I never have used or installed a task killer since android OS (especially since 2.0 is designed to manage memory when it needs it.  I use the Manage Applications and Running Services and now in 2.2 the default Task Manager that we were provided to manage apps.  I don't play much games but I do have Angry Birds Rio which works very well on the transform.  To maximize battery life, I turned off GPS and location networks, turned brightness at half or low (makes a big difference) and use wifi only at home.  I set my location manually on my weather and clock widgets and keep the refresh to 2 hours - I don't mind doing the manual refresh on the weather if I have to.  I also changed the setting on my clock to launch the clock app instead of the configuration setting so that I can easily set my alarms.  With some browsing, emails, a few calls, text messages, google voice actions and some Tune-in radio, I can get battery life of 15-30 hours.  Keeping about 20-25 MB of RAM seems to be key to having the transform run smoothly.

Journeyman

Well I was one of the ones very excited for this update. Now I'm one of the ones that HATE this phone. It has the weird vibrating action. It's freezing ALL the time now. I can't answer or place calls 50% of the time. This phone went from being bad to useless. The only good thing is the credit I will get when I trade it in for the EVO. I learned my lesson. Get what you want the first time and be satisfied.

Journeyman

Don't forget to move your apps to the SD card in 'Manage Applications' tab.  Once you free up some RAM, the phone will work very well indeed!

Apps 2 SD will make this even easier, so check that out as well.  The included task manager will help free up some ram so that you can do these basic things.

Journeyman

Bump,

Hi everyone, thought I'd give our beloved thread some life, how is everyone doing with the phone? I'm now starting to get freezing issues, and haven't really changed anything since the update, if anything i've removed un needed apps.

Journeyman

beatngu231, my Transform has been running very well.  Could the issue be caused by a recently added app?  Anyway, have you seen the thread below at the androidforum - Samsung Transform forum?

http://androidforums.com/samsung-transform/309252-my-non-root-tips-speed-up-transform-2-2-a.html

Sometimes, you may have to reboot your phone (Power it off for a few seconds, then turn it back on).  Use the Task Manager (Samsung) that was provided to us (File Manager as well) with the upade to 2.2 Froyo to see how much RAM your phone is using and the internal storage amount remaining (Summary).  Try to maintain RAM usage to 140 MB (or less)/161 MB and keep 10-30% internal storage free (about 65 MB free out of 218 MB).  You can also see it in Menu->Settings->SD Card and Phone Storage, Available Space.  Deleting un-needed apps is good but that impacts internal storage, not RAM.  Deleting cache (regularly; Menu->Settings->Applications->Managed Applications, <App>) from frequently used apps (e.g. Market) frees up RAM.  Also, if you use your browser a lot (e.g. news articles), you need to regularly delete the following on your browser, launch browser->Menu->More->Settings, Scroll down to Privacy Settings and click on the following: Clear Cache, Clear History, Clear All cookie Data, Clear Form Data.  This is not unlike what you would do with your PC or laptop, clearing your internet cache and temporary internet items, history, etc.  Similarly, there are times when rebooting your PC or laptop is needed when it becomes laggy or starts freezing as the RAM is freed up by the reboot.  Additionally, you need to check whether you have a lot of active SMS messages.  Maintaining a lot of SMS messages will slow a phone down so you should use an app lilke SMS Backup & Restore (Ritesh Sahu) to backup your texts to your SD card and delete your active SMS messages and start over.  Finally, review your sync settings (reduce frequency) for email, Facebook, weather, etc. as well as how many widgets you are using as well as their impact on RAM and battery life.  I reduced the number of widgets that I use as well as their size (e.g. I use Business Calendar and changed to a 4x2 sized widget instead of a 4x3 widget).  Once you get your phone running smoothly, it doesn't take much effort to maintain it as freeing up app cache and browser cache are the ones you would do more often.  SMS maintenance can be done after some time (e.g. at 300 messages) and you may be able to automate the backup (and possibly the delete) through SMS Backup & Restore.  I hope this helps.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat