cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

...Officially convinced the Samsung Transform SUCKS!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

...Officially convinced the Samsung Transform SUCKS!!!

I've been a loyal Sprint customer for more than 12 years now and I have never had such a crappy phone as the Transform. I have had other Samsung devices and have not had the kind of issues I have had with this thing. I'm on my 2nd one in less then a 45 days. The first gave me trouble 3 days after I got it. The keyboard backlighting would flicker. And when I would be talking on the phone the dial pad turned off and on - this made it almost impossible to use it when trying to call my business voicemail and I had to dial my pass code. I also noticed that the screen would have a double pulse each time I woke it up. At the Sprint store I told them my problems and they gave me an apology and gave me a new phone without hassle.

The second Transform worked great for about 1 week then trouble started again. This time the problem was not being able to answer incoming calls. The touch screen is non responsive to touch. Nothing I did would get the phone to answer or even stop ringing. I remembered what the Sprint associate told me to do from time to time - power it off. Well guess what? That doesn't work. For the next 2 weeks I was sometimes able to answer calls and others not able to. I searched for maybe a possible setting issue and could not find anything. I wanted to go back to Sprint right away, but I could not. However I'm a patient man and decided to give the phone the benefit of the doubt did a hard reset, updated all software and...whatever else I could try.

Well it seemed to make things worse;

Now when I'm using the keyboard, and at random, the keys act like hot keys. Sometimes I can complete a sentence and others I can't even type 2 letters. It is very frustrating.

I'm still not able to answer any calls because the touch screen is not responding at all, but worse now is I can't even get the phone to stop ringing by pushing the power button.

The screen powers off when I make an outgoing call and sometimes won't come back on. And if I'm calling some place that requires the use of the key pad for navigation I'm screwed!!. I also noticed that sometimes I can't end a call because the "end call" is nowhere to be found.

And to add insult to injury the latest thing is a huge delay in being notified of voicemail messages ...sometimes as long as 6 hours goes by before the phone downloads the voicemail. Other times I don't even see missed calls displayed, so if a voicemail was left it may not get to me for hours after.

Personally I think this phone is garbage and l paid for was a very expensive paper weight.

I wonder if is this Sprints way to try to upsell people to the EVO phone? Or did Samsung put the cart in front of horse with this 3G version of the EVO. The  only reason I didn't get the EVO was because 4G wouldn't be available in my area until mid-late spring 2011. And paying sprint $10 extra per month for 4G service, but not getting it did not sit well with me.

I'll be visiting Sprint on Sunday, I just dread sitting there for as long as 2 hours. I'll do a follow up next week.

183 REPLIES 183
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey everyone,

I see this thread is still active. I have read everybody's comments and it is a real shame that neither Samsung or Sprint have made any attempts to address the issues this phone has.. The continuing problems I have with this phone is simply ridiculous!! I am pretty sure it is not operator error. It has to be the phone or the software that runs it.

To those that have given advice on what the problem may be... For the record... My problems with this phone(2nd transform mind you) began before I downloaded a single app. The lag, the occasional non-responsive screen, and the dial pad glitches has been the same since day one. But lately I've noticed that if I shut down and restart my phone once a week all the problems, except for the dial pad glitches seem to go away, Thats great, but rebooting this phone is such a pain because it takes forever - 5, 8, 15 minutes - sometimes longer. It's a crap shoot when it comes to the rebooting time.,.

@SPRINT STORE:

My last visit was about 2 1/2 months ago complaining about my issues. They did a hard reset and sent me on my way. Everything worked good for  24 hours and back to the way it was. Also, while there I inquired about virus programs and "task killers". They said both are the biggest users of memory(which slows performance) and diminish battery life. Both these apps cause more problems than solve. On a previous visit I was told these types of apps can help, and now I'm told they don't. ARRRG!! Well to tell you the truth I have been told so much conflicting information from different Sprint associates since Oct of last year over this phone that I no longer believe much of what Sprints associates say any longer...

Its too bad... Sprint, for the most part, has been great for more then 12 years to me, but this phone has been such an awful experience that I have been considering leaving.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't agree about the anti-virus/security software being unnecessary.  More and more security warnings are popping up in articles for Android.  As the platform becomes even more popular, and more people store personal information on them, information theft will increase.  A poorly written anti-virus might cause a problem.  I use Lookout and it doesn't slow my transform down a bit.  And yes, doing a hard reset will solve all the problems until you reinstall your apps, but what's the point of having an android phone that you can't put your apps on.  Yes, until Samsung lights a fire under it's rear and gets Froyo out to us, the size and quantity of the apps we can install is more limited.  I really think that 9 months for an OS update from Samsung is a very strong sign of poor support.  as much as I like my Transform and after getting burned pretty bad by Samsung on the Rant, that this will likely be my last Samsung product.  Like I've said, I did a hard reset, installed the "Sprint Clean" ID which leaves most the extra crap it ships with off, installed  Advanced Task manager pro and replaced the stock app launcher with LauncherPro.  I have Twitter, Facebook, and other things installed.  I do not get lag or bizzare behavior.  I do not use widgets, because those are resource hogs.  I can quickly open the TWC app for the weather.  Launcher Pro puts your most commonly used apps right at the bottom.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We should NOT stop complaining.  We give our hard earned money to Sprint every month.  We bought this phone with Sprint's promise it would be upgraded.  Consumers should not allow companies to lie to them.  Companies should keep their word.  I signed a contract and uphold my end of the contract.  They should too.  This phone oftentimes is unable to end a call.  It's a phone.  Shouldn't we expect a phone to be able to complete that most basic function?

Highlighted
Journeyman

For those of you who are "pre-30 days" that have this phone, go to the evo-shift or EPIC.  But for those who are stuck, try ROOTING before spending $400+ on another phone.  It'll change your experience with this phone.  I have the RC1-ZMP version of the Froyo port with JIT.  The phone is stable and faster than stock Eclair.  Also, I think it is better than the RC2 (the latest version of the port). The phone has tethering and bluetooth, sync works great, BOTH camera works (front and back) - I used Tango on a regular basis, angry birds works well, and it runs about 8.6 MFLOPS on Linpak. It increased my appreciation of this phone to 10/10 from a 3/10 subjectively, not counting the practical uses that I was able to get from it.

www.forum.sdx-developers.com Look for the Transform developments forum and download the RC1-zmp port.  IF you have questions, message me, I'm more than happy to help. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hate my android transformer.  I think after developing the transformer as a mini computer the phone was an afterthought. Oops! we got to put a way to make a phone call.  Like tonight, I was trying make a call and the keypad went away and of course I couldn't end the call.  If you want to make a call then pull up the phone search through the contacts; my point is to many menus, to long a time.  I want my old blackberry back.  Beware when a phone is on sale, my transformer was on sale and i got it December 30, 2010.  I wish i had returned it.  But I wanted a full keyboard and a larger screen.  I am considering having my old blackberry reactivated.  This android takes to long to do anything with.  I cuss it all the time and I find myself wanting to beat the crap out of it.  I do manage to contain myself before I damage it cause I'm the one that will pay; oh, I am paying every d*** month.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I miss my Blackberry

Highlighted
Journeyman

I finally gave up on the Transform after about 26 days.  Sprint did allow me to trade back to my Blackberry and I'm very glad I went back.  The Blackberry is 100% more reliable.  The Transform should be taken off the market until all the bugs are fixed. 

I couldn't end calls, I couldn't answer calls, the email wouldn't work.  I was at the Sprint store every 2 days and called Sprint the other days. 

Until things are operational with few bugs, I'm sticking to the Blackberry.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, for all of those that believe the Transform sucks, well it doesn't (that much). I thought for a while it did as well. What sucks is the fact that Sprint has hobbled it by putting their crappy overlay on what Samsung has created. Unfortunately, Samsung doesn't have the 'brass electrons' to stand up to Sprint and say 'enough is enough'. That being said, if you want your Transform to perform reasonably well running under A2.1-u1, these are the steps that I have taken with great success to increase stability on the 3 Transform phones we own.  1) Go to Manage Aplications; and, starting from the top of the list, Force stop each one. 2) For each app scroll to the bottom and look at it's permissions. If it says "automatically start at boot", UNINSTALL IT. Now, I say this for any app you feel is not extremely critical; your choice (I only allow Advanced Task Killer, a Battery Monitor and an Antivirus to start at boot). However each appication that starts at boot requires a certain amount of memory which is taken away from the operating system during boot. 3) avoid downloading PDF, Kindle, videos or other data files that applications read from or write to in the phone's memory and not the SD card. Carefully read the description of the app to see where it writes it's data. For instance Opera Mini Browser gives you the option to download it's fiels to the SD card, etc.  4) DAILY OPERATION. If you use a Task Manager, only use it to Kill non-OS applications, such as games, browsers, etc..  Killing native Android processes is not recommended as they tend to be restarted (by other android-OS apps) in a non-stable state prior to rebooting. Using an Antivirus application on an Android phone is actually not needed (yet*). Since the application framework of linux and the Java VM don't allow program access to each other's memory space (or virtual machine), an antivirus app does virually nothing to detect malicious code running in a dedicated VM. They can merely verify authenticity of the source, monitor installation, etc. Antivirus software that bundles other functions are really the only good ones. Lookout offers data backup and can even find a lost phone. I have used Antivirus Free and Lookout and find them about equal (Lookout has a bigger footprint). Avoid Sprint Themes like the plaque. You can also tweek individual OS settings to help reduce the phone's operating overhead while in daily use, but that is a post for another day or you can just search the web.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did as you mentioned and nothing changed.  I had to delete 10 apps to get this phone working properly.  I'm also experiencing about 20 "force close" messages a day and the screen freezing up about 95% of the time. 

Any suggestions for those?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry... you tried rooting the phone? It is very simple to do and it will solve most of your problems. forum.sdx-developers.com

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have read up on that, but my fear is that I'm NOT that tech savvy to do that and I will really screw something up.  I also have a friend that is an IT guru, but he is out for awhile as his gfriend is having a baby.  If that's my only option I guess I'll have to try....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just back up any games and such that you have and do a factory data reset. You can back up your apps, but I just wipe the whole thing and only redownload the apps that I actually use.

These phones get basically clogged after a few months and need to be cleared.  Whenever I notice that I can't answer calls, the thing bootloops, and I get force closes, I just wipe it.    

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat