cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Transform

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Transform

So, fresh out of the box (Friday Night) and Sprint ID isn't available for download.  Nevermind switching from Nextel back to Sprint (no automatic activation).  I digress.

Customer support is telling me that the darned thing is defective, right out of the box!  Can't download an ID pack for its life!

Not complaining too much...Android and everything else is working spectacularly.  Well, except the vCard bluetooth transfer of my contacts from my 8350i won't load up.  Imported and saved to my SD card and now it reads "Reading of vCard data has failed | Failed to parse vCard for unexpected reason | file ended during parsing BASE64 binary".

Bought it online...and I can't "return" or swap the thing out at a store, apparently.....

Not happy...but that's what I get for trying to move to the Andriod wave.

44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Journeyman

The system buttons are tied to your keyboard settings.

Menu - settings - sound & display - keyboard timeout.  set that to "same as screen".

That'll fix her

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for your post on this. I too have brand new transform that works perfect EXCEPT I didn't have sprint TV icon and whenever I tried to download it would fail with 702 error code. I talked to customer service and level 1 person was intelligent and caring but didn't have a solution except to "hard reset" and I'd lose everything. He transferred me to level 2 person. Level 2 person was intelligent and caring and tried some more things, sent me a text with a download link, but still nothing worked. He sent me to level 3 person. Level 3 person was hispanic sounding women. She was clueless (probably got position due to title9/affirmative action). SHe said to go to the "market" and download the app. Then she said since the Transform was on the Android platform it couldn't do Sprint TV, then her solution was the same as level 1 person with "hard reset".

I did what you said. I went to my Sprint online account and went to Manage, then Change preferences, then Block media downloads, then unblocked my cell number. I can't believe how igorant some people are. Thanks for the help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

AMEN !!!!

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER .....AFTER GOING THROUGH 4 DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND FINALLY FINDING SOMEONE WHO SEEMED TO BE ABLE TO HELP  I WAS DISCONNECTED !!!! THIS WAS THE 4TH TIME IN THREE DAYS!!!!!  AND I GAVE THIS PERSON MY LANDLINE NUMBER JUST IN CASE THIS HAPPENED...STILL WAITING ON THAT RETURN CALL A WEEK LATER.

Highlighted
Journeyman

AMEN !!!!

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER .....AFTER GOING THROUGH 4 DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND FINALLY FINDING SOMEONE WHO SEEMED TO BE ABLE TO HELP  I WAS DISCONNECTED !!!! THIS WAS THE 4TH TIME IN THREE DAYS!!!!!  AND I GAVE THIS PERSON MY LANDLINE NUMBER JUST IN CASE THIS HAPPENED...STILL WAITING ON THAT RETURN CALL A WEEK LATER.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh Wow, I just got my phone today and also, could not download from the hyped up Sprint ID. Everything was downloading.

Even the guy at the Sprint store didn't know why. I just did what you said. I had no idea that mine and my husbands account was blocked from

downloading. Thanks for the info!

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG... thank you so much.  I too was having the problem with downloading the Sprint ID packs.  I called customer service and talked to several different people and their ultimate advice was to take my new phone back to the store because it was defective.  LMAO.... I tried the suggestion about going into my account online and unblocking the digital media downloads... and lo and behold it worked.

I'm so glad I kept reading through this thread and found a solution, instead of going back to the Sprint store where I always have to wait forever to get help.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you so much!  I was also having problems downloading Sprint ID and no one at the store or over the phone could figure it out.  After reading this I went online and did it (under MySprint -> My Preferences -> Limits and Permissions -> Block Digital Media Downloads).  My only concern now is that I originally blocked that because I was getting monthly bills for some ringtone service I didn't order.  Maybe I can reblock after downloading the ID packs.

Highlighted
Wizard

Those ringers charges usually get added by text message through 3rd party billing so I don't think blocking downloads will do much for you. I haven't got one of those charges in years, but last time I did, Care was able to block 3rd party billing on my account.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, let me help you understand why turning off the 3rd party charge block on the account works:

1. Genius engineer creates an Android Mod to load skins to the phone via the Market connection

2. The market connection attaches cost to all apps (even if cost = $0.00 or Free)

3. Being "3rd Party" native software, the market / Sprint ID download pack hash-checks against the 3rd party charge authorization

4a. If found to be blocked, download = fail.

4b. If found to be not blocked, download = success.

I hope this simple logic tree has helped understand that a third party charge block will prevent download of Sprint ID packs and, in some cases, Market applications.

And, to the text message block...it's not so much the idea of blocking texts as how 3rd party charges are typically racked up against an account.  SMS or MMS offers for "free" things that cost money.

Thanks for the great support from everyone here.  Looks like the pains I went through were well worth it

Highlighted
Journeyman

had my transform for almost two weeks now. so far i still like it. huge step up from my SCP-2700.

observations to this point are:

- one instance where it just seemed to freeze and reboot on me after taking a picture and tapping the button to view it

- seems like i've had to reboot every second or third day because the screen fails to lock, even when i push the power button to lock manually, this is probably related to an app hung or something

- it DOES run angry birds just fine, contrary to what many have said

- only PC i've successfully gotten the USB to connect is a W7Pro x64 box at work and that's with no additional drivers installed; other machines no driver version seemed to help, closest it got was seeing there was a USB device/drive connected but unable to read it at all, phone was able to charge from any of the above

- the previous is not a huge problem because i found a sweet app from MobileAction - Android Manager WiFi that was free and seems to do everything i'd really need anyway

- with moderate use i get roughly 15hrs out of a full charge before i feel like i really need to plug it in

- there have been a few instances where it seems to register a whole series of screen taps even when i've not touched it

- sync seems buggy but i don't know if this is more device or service related. have my corporate account on it and i kept getting that "sync is currently experiencing problems" message, but upon closer inspection this seemed like it was direcly connected to the calendar even though neither it or email would sync reliably. i removed the account and readded it and this time left it on automatic/push and it's been fine ever since. this may have something to do with the way Exchange communicates with the device. i actually administer my Exchange server so i have the privilege of looking at those logs as well. currently have two Google accounts set to sync and they're both giving me that error message but still seem to pull in a message now and then.

- voice dialer is worthless. doesn't matter if it happens to get the name right now and then, it always brings up the "work" number even if you articulate the word "mobile" like your life depended on it

- i sometimes find myself hitting the volume rocker with my ring finger while texting w/ the qwerty keyboard and my thumb when trying to take pics with the phone sideways (so i can actually use the half-press on the button to use the focus function) but that's more of a self-training issue

everything else seems to work as advertised. i don't regret the purchase. excited to see what 2.2 does for it

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Samsung Transform is a nice piece of hardware...so long as you stay away from the Sprint ID feature. I've had none of the quirks that people claim to have with the phone, and I'm simply running the stock software. It seems as though once you install an ID pack, all bets are off in terms of system stability.

Highlighted
Journeyman

yeah, once you get a bunch of background processes running that you don't need it hurts it bad. i loaded the sprint pack just to get the tv and football apps and noticed a general malaise after that point. nothing inhibitive, but a detectable difference. i run advanced task killer just to keep things fresh, but it's funny to watch the amount of free memory fluctuate when it does an autokill. bounces around from high thirties to low fifties MBs even though i've not been using it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat