cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transform problems - related to Android version?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Transform problems - related to Android version?

So I'm thinking about getting a Transform based on the combination of features and cost that it provides.  Naturally I looked at the reviews here at Sprint, and they run from horrible descriptions of a virtually unusable phone, to glowing reviews saying "I don't know what all those people are talking about".

In addition, when I was asking the guy at the Sprint store about this phone and specifically whether it supports the mobile hotspot feature, he said no, because you need at least Android 2.2 for that, and he thought the Transform only had 2.1.

Well, I looked again at the phone on the web site, where it says that the Transform does indeed come with Android 2.2, and does indeed support mobile hotspot.

That got me wondering whether Android 2.2 might be a recently released upgrade for this device, and whether some of the problems reported by users might be related to the Android version.  Any ideas or opinions?  Even better, can any of the authors of critical reviews or posts report back on what version of Android their phone has (or had when they reported the problems); whether they've got Android 2.2 now; and whether anything is different with 2.2 than it was with 2.1?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

When the Transform was released last year, it was relased with Android 2.1 OS.  In March 2011, the OS was upgraded to 2.2 Froyo.  I believe that a lot of people did not have much issues with the phone when they first got it and used it out of the box with the 2.1 OS.  The 2.2 Froyo OS is a major upgrade in functionality and features to 2.1.  Most of the phones upgraded to 2.2 Froyo over the air (OTA).  I suspect that a number of issues occured after the update.  A resolution for avoiding issues since the update might have been to force everyone to backup all their user data and to do a Samsung Hard Reset (Recovery Mode) and do a Data Wipe/Factory Reset of the phone and start over with a clean slate on Andorid 2.2 Froyo.  I did not have much issues with my phone before and after the update.  However, doing a Samsung Hard Reset on my Transform (I was forced to do a factory reset because of an unexplained loss of 40 MB in internal storage and then dealt with an unexpected GPS issue which the hard reset resolved) as well as to another friend's Transform and following good smartphone practices has confirmed the belief that a Hard Reset is beneficial to the Transform and consequently, our Transforms work and function well since then.  A Samsung Hard Reset (Data Wipe.Factory reset from a powered off state) allows the user to reclaim System Data that might have remained and could not be deleted with normal cache deletion methods as a consequence perhaps of the OS upgrade to 2.2 Froyo - use "DiskUsage" app by (Ivan Volusyuk) and check your app storage allocation.  It makes a big difference to your available internal storage to go from 98 MB or 57 MB of system data (about 67 MB internal storage free) to 12-30 MB of system data for example, giving you 110-135 MB of internal storage free (with 60-90 apps installed) instead!  The Transform is not able to support Flash (we are one chip version short of the minimum requirement set by Adobe) and can't run live wallpaper, but otherwise I can run and use pretty much every app out there with no issues at all. 

Nowadays, for new users (or if you did a Hard Reset), loading of a Sprint ID is optional.  Sprint ID is beneficial for users who are new to Android and don't have the time to research apps or figure out which apps to load or use. However, if you don't mind researching and having the fun of dicovering new apps, downloading and using apps that are customized to your needs, then using a Sprint ID may not be necessary.  In doing so, you only would load apps that you really needed and not have some additional but unnecessary apps that may come preloaded on a particular Sprint ID package.  The apps that you download have an impact on your internal storage.  Transforms (as well as most Android phones) tend to perform well if you leave about 30% of the internal storage free (e.g. Total Internal Storage is 217 MB so you must leave 65 MB (30%) free).  Also, do not overload your homescreens with so many apps or widget running which uses up you phone's RAM as you want to leave about 20 MB of RAM free (out of 161 MB RAM).  If you follow the best practices for keeping your Transform running efficiently on the thread below, you should not have much issues with the phone keeping it's capabilities in mind (3G phone, 800 mhz single core CPU, 217 MB internal storage, and 161 MB RAM)

http://androidforums.com/samsung-transform/309252-my-non-root-tips-speed-up-transform-2-2-a.html

Sprint has newer phones that have since come out and phones like the HTC Evo 4G have gone down in price so you may want to look at those phones as well as there is a definite difference in UI responsiveness as those phones have better CPU chips (newer ones like the HTC Evo 3D are dual core), more RAM and more internal storage.  Only you will know what is the best phone for you to use depending on your needs and requirements (e.g whether immediate UI responsiveness is important as well as 3G vs 4G) and the phone's cost and monthly plan cost and more importantly, you have 30 days to try out a phone and see if you like it or would prefer to change to another phone.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Journeyman

Tizz do not get this phone at all.  When it was updated to Android 2.2 it fixed a few of the problems, but not all of them.  Android 2.2 came out in March for this phone.  The phone is still really slow, and still has many problems with it.  My current transform is not dialing out half of the time i try to dial out.  The screen freezes when someone is calling me.  When I back out of an app my home screen is gone for 3 minutes.  The phone is always rebooting itself, and when it reboots it takes a while to get 3g connection.  The bluetooth keeps failing in my chevy cruze.  The list goes on and on, and many people have other problems with their transform.  Personally i would not recommend any Samsung phone on sprint.  I would recommend that you go with a HTC phone.  I am about to take my transform in for service for either the 4th or 5th time, and it never gets fixed correctly, the phone is just a waste

Highlighted
Journeyman

When the Transform was released last year, it was relased with Android 2.1 OS.  In March 2011, the OS was upgraded to 2.2 Froyo.  I believe that a lot of people did not have much issues with the phone when they first got it and used it out of the box with the 2.1 OS.  The 2.2 Froyo OS is a major upgrade in functionality and features to 2.1.  Most of the phones upgraded to 2.2 Froyo over the air (OTA).  I suspect that a number of issues occured after the update.  A resolution for avoiding issues since the update might have been to force everyone to backup all their user data and to do a Samsung Hard Reset (Recovery Mode) and do a Data Wipe/Factory Reset of the phone and start over with a clean slate on Andorid 2.2 Froyo.  I did not have much issues with my phone before and after the update.  However, doing a Samsung Hard Reset on my Transform (I was forced to do a factory reset because of an unexplained loss of 40 MB in internal storage and then dealt with an unexpected GPS issue which the hard reset resolved) as well as to another friend's Transform and following good smartphone practices has confirmed the belief that a Hard Reset is beneficial to the Transform and consequently, our Transforms work and function well since then.  A Samsung Hard Reset (Data Wipe.Factory reset from a powered off state) allows the user to reclaim System Data that might have remained and could not be deleted with normal cache deletion methods as a consequence perhaps of the OS upgrade to 2.2 Froyo - use "DiskUsage" app by (Ivan Volusyuk) and check your app storage allocation.  It makes a big difference to your available internal storage to go from 98 MB or 57 MB of system data (about 67 MB internal storage free) to 12-30 MB of system data for example, giving you 110-135 MB of internal storage free (with 60-90 apps installed) instead!  The Transform is not able to support Flash (we are one chip version short of the minimum requirement set by Adobe) and can't run live wallpaper, but otherwise I can run and use pretty much every app out there with no issues at all. 

Nowadays, for new users (or if you did a Hard Reset), loading of a Sprint ID is optional.  Sprint ID is beneficial for users who are new to Android and don't have the time to research apps or figure out which apps to load or use. However, if you don't mind researching and having the fun of dicovering new apps, downloading and using apps that are customized to your needs, then using a Sprint ID may not be necessary.  In doing so, you only would load apps that you really needed and not have some additional but unnecessary apps that may come preloaded on a particular Sprint ID package.  The apps that you download have an impact on your internal storage.  Transforms (as well as most Android phones) tend to perform well if you leave about 30% of the internal storage free (e.g. Total Internal Storage is 217 MB so you must leave 65 MB (30%) free).  Also, do not overload your homescreens with so many apps or widget running which uses up you phone's RAM as you want to leave about 20 MB of RAM free (out of 161 MB RAM).  If you follow the best practices for keeping your Transform running efficiently on the thread below, you should not have much issues with the phone keeping it's capabilities in mind (3G phone, 800 mhz single core CPU, 217 MB internal storage, and 161 MB RAM)

http://androidforums.com/samsung-transform/309252-my-non-root-tips-speed-up-transform-2-2-a.html

Sprint has newer phones that have since come out and phones like the HTC Evo 4G have gone down in price so you may want to look at those phones as well as there is a definite difference in UI responsiveness as those phones have better CPU chips (newer ones like the HTC Evo 3D are dual core), more RAM and more internal storage.  Only you will know what is the best phone for you to use depending on your needs and requirements (e.g whether immediate UI responsiveness is important as well as 3G vs 4G) and the phone's cost and monthly plan cost and more importantly, you have 30 days to try out a phone and see if you like it or would prefer to change to another phone.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info.  This would be my first smart phone and I want to make an informed choice.  Another thing that lead me to suspect the Android version is that they symptoms you and others have described are generally symptoms of problems that would be attributed to software rather than hardware issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Appreciate the detailed response.  I had called the Sprint store to see what phones they had demos of to try them out.  I was originally looking at the Replenish and the Optimus, and the guy steered me towards this one instead.  I liked both of them because at least right now, they're free with a 2-year committment.  The Replenish has a physical keyboard, and the Optimus has everything else I want, and I suppose given that context the Transform wasn't a bad recommendation.  Sounds like the HTCs are pretty well regarded though.  It's the price that is giving me pause however...

Anyway, thanks again.

Journeyman

I have used a friend's Optimus S briefly and I thought it was a pretty good phone with good responsiveness (600 mhz dual core phone).  It's screen was smaller than the Transform and did not have a keyboard though nowadays I don't use the physical keyboard too much.  Some users have reported battery and SD issues with the Optimus though it seems to have better reviews than the Transform though that could be atrributable to the Optimus S being released (I believe) with 2.2 Froyo from the very beginning instead of an OTA update.  I hope all goes well with your new Android phone.  Having a smart phone does make a big difference in productivity (business or personal) and I wish I had done it earlier! 🙂

Here are user forum links to check out as well:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-transform/

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-s/

Android Applications

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/

Highlighted
Journeyman

The HTC Evo 3D is an excellent phone though I'd like to see how it compares to the Samsung Galaxy S II (Sprint version) that comes out later this year (note that this is different than the rumored Samsung Epic2).  I've heard the Evo 3D phone is even faster (e.g. UI responsiveness and boot from startup) than the HTC Evo 4G because of its dual core CPU and enhanced RAM.  Anyway, though its been out for a while, the HTC Evo 4G is a very good phone and new Evo 4G's that are currently being sold have 2.3 Gingerbread already preloaded which makes a big difference as the recent OTA from 2.2 Froyo to 2.3 Gingerbread for HTC Evo 4G users have caused a number of issues including making the phone inoperable as one of my friend's experienced forcing him to receive a new Evo 4G phone in exchange while those that got the new Evo 4G's with 2.3 preloaded have not reported much issues.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat