cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outgoing mail server (smtp.sprintpcs.com)

Journeyman

burgdudeohio I was able to finally get past the 554 error by using the Update  Profile command on the phone. I remembered a Sprint rep walking me  through that once when my phone stopped receiving MMS messages. Now when  I try to authenticate the SMTP settings I get the old "Cannot connect  to server. (Unable to open connection to SMTP server)."

Interestingly enough, my phone seemed to have access for a very  brief amount of time on 09/01/2011. On that date, it finally sent a  message that was in the Outbox since 08/23/2011. I was also able to  authenticate the SMTP settings.

Now, it's back to  (ab)normal with the SMTP setting failng with the message "Cannot connect  to server. (Unable to open connection to SMTP server)." Where did  RC1024 run off to? Is he/she a Sprint rep? Is there a different area to  place this message so that the right folks can trace it out?

I hate to go back to Customer Care since they don't even know the SMTP service exists...

Sprint Employee

Hello, pardon my absence from this thread. I am still able to use smtp.sprintpcs.com with 100% success. Have you tried removing and readding the account? Do you have any task killer, or security apps installed? Are you connected to WiFI? are you using smtp.sprintpcs.com port 25, no SSL/TLS using username from .com (without @sprintpcs.com) and smtp password set at .com? since you use road runner you should consider using their smtp server, it will now allow sending email through it across networks if using suggested settings.

Journeyman

RC1024, I've removed and readded the account previously and just did so again w/o success. There are no taskkiller or security apps installed. I'm not connected to WiFi. Sprint SMTP settings are as you describe.

Can you elaborate on the suggested settings for RoadRunner if they would apply to my goal? I'm able to authenticate and send using an @roadrunner address, BUT...

The problem with using RoadRunner is that I need to use an address with a different domain. The address I'm wanting use is actually one from a forwarding service (username@forwardingdomain.net). The forwarding service offers no SMTP capability and only forwards mail received at the username@forwardingdomain.net address to my RoadRunner account.

In my experience, I can only send using the username@forwardingdomain.net address when I can access the SMTP server for the network on which I'm connected.  Otherwise, any off-network authentication to a SMTP server seems to fail when the from address domain does not match the SMTP server's domain. For example, when I switch the From address to be username@forwardingdomain.net using "Send As" and try to send through SMTP w/Roadrunner, I get an error message that states "554 From address must match authentic..."

GMail seems to be an exception. When using the gmail SMTP settings, it seems to allow me to use the username@forwardingdomain.net, but it then automatically substitutes my gmail address for the username@forwardingdomain.net address.

The only workable solution for more than a year was access to the Sprint SMTP server. It's truly as if I suddenly lost my connection to the server, but then there are "windows" of opportunity every couple of weeks where a message in the Outbox sneaks through. It's truly a situation where the message "Cannot connect  to server. (Unable to open connection to SMTP server)." means I'm not even connecting to the server. I've tested this by using a bad Username  and Password. That should generate some sort of authentication error rather than a connection error, but it does not.

Thx.

Journeyman

Am am having similar smpt problems with my new Sprint Samsung Epic 4G -- cannot get the Sprint smtp server to work.  The Sprint smtp server was working on my previous phone (a Palm Treo), but not on this new phone.  I am able to get Gmail's smpt server to work, but so far, no matter what I try, I cannot get this phone to use Sprint's. 

When I try to complete the settings entries, the phone displays: "Setup could not finish  Unable to connect to server"

Here are my settings:

• SMTP server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
  • Port: 25
  • Security Type: None
  • Require Sign in [checked]
  • Username [name as displayed on MySpring page, which worked on previous phone]
  • Password: [The password I reset through MySprit page]

On the username, I have tried it both with the full "username@sprintpcs.com" as well as without the "sprintpcs.com" part.

I have deleted the account and started from scratch several times.  I have my WiFi turned off.

Does Sprint still offer tech support by phone?  And if so, how do I find that phone number?

Wizard

Re: outgoing mail server (smtp.sprintpcs.com)

How to Setup Sprint's Outbound SMTP Server.
1. log into www.sprint.com account.
2. Once logged in select "my preferences".
3. Under the heading "Things I can manage online" select "Change email server password".
4. Enter in his new password and then enter the password below again to confirm it, now click save.

Below are our email server settings.
Username: full NAI example(customer@sprintpcs.com)
Password: Whatever is set from the instructions above
SMTP Server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
Port Setting: 25
Authentication or Login: Yes we require authentication or a login to use the server.

Try following these steps to reset your password and attempt to setup the email again.  I'd like to verify the NAI you are using for your username, I'm going to send you a private message to look into it for you.

Journeyman

Re: outgoing mail server (smtp.sprintpcs.com)

Thank Dave for the reply.

Yes, I have done all those things, multiple times.

Sprint Employee

Hello tonyp170, Since you are using another domain I'm not sure RR is the best choice. Personally, when asked I usually recommend Gmail's SMTP, It seems to work out better for most who are having trouble with their current SMTP server.

Journeyman

AaronVinck - The phone number for tech support is (888) 211-4727. Please post back if they are able to assist. I've tried that approach numerous times, and unfortunately they do not seem to be trained with respect to the Sprint SMTP server.

RC1024 - GMail's SMTP server works fine, but it has the undesired side effect of subsituting my GMail address for the @forwardingdomain.net address in the "From" field.

Sprint Employee

I have been testing the sprint SMTP server for the past few days, and it seems to be working without exception for me. if you have reset your SMTP password, and removed/readded the account to your phone then I would next consider backup data and factory reset, I tried one account with the full NAI as the username, and one account with the half before the @ as the username. As far as Gmail is concerned you can specify a different from address in setting>accounts & import and should show both the from address and the gmail address.

Journeyman

I just hit the same problem, I cannot use Windstream to send outgoing mail from that account and want to use smtp.sprintpcs.com.  I had to replace my Evo Shift and have not been able to get the outgoing mail server to work.  I run through the playbook listed above and get the same error "cannot connect..."  So it is not just one phone/account with the problem.  Thanks for any help or suggestions other than using another smtp, I can figure that one out for myself.

Sprint Employee

Hello khbaker51, I have been regularly testing smtp.sprintpcs.com with variation in username. I find that It has been working well I still use smtp.sprintpcs.com, port 25, no SSL/TLS the password is set in my preferences for my sprint for smtp, and the username can be the full NAI (username@sprintpcs.com) or just the username (without @sprintpcs.com). if you have trouble I may suggest removing/readding account. if this has not helped then try using an alternate application like K-9 mail.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024, the idea of a Factory Reset was explored and executed in July. It provided no resolution to this problem. I use K-9 mail and at this point have tried the default mail app as well as K-9 mail and the default mail app on my Wife's phone and receive the same error when trying to access the Sprint SMTP server. I agree with KHBAKER51 - this is a Sprint problem, and not a device issue. My Wife is actually scheduled to get a replacement device tomorrow, so I'll look forward to seeing if a third device actually makes a difference.

I actually had a short run at successfully using the Sprint SMTP server starting on 09/18/2011. Today, it has failed again, so I wanted to return and see if there was anybody you could contact internally about the stability of allowing access to the Sprint SMTP server from within the Sprint Network on a Sprint device.

Thx.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.