I have been testing the sprint SMTP server for the past few days, and it seems to be working without exception for me. if you have reset your SMTP password, and removed/readded the account to your phone then I would next consider backup data and factory reset, I tried one account with the full NAI as the username, and one account with the half before the @ as the username. As far as Gmail is concerned you can specify a different from address in setting>accounts & import and should show both the from address and the gmail address.
I just hit the same problem, I cannot use Windstream to send outgoing mail from that account and want to use smtp.sprintpcs.com. I had to replace my Evo Shift and have not been able to get the outgoing mail server to work. I run through the playbook listed above and get the same error "cannot connect..." So it is not just one phone/account with the problem. Thanks for any help or suggestions other than using another smtp, I can figure that one out for myself.
Hello khbaker51, I have been regularly testing smtp.sprintpcs.com with variation in username. I find that It has been working well I still use smtp.sprintpcs.com, port 25, no SSL/TLS the password is set in my preferences for my sprint for smtp, and the username can be the full NAI (email@example.com) or just the username (without @sprintpcs.com). if you have trouble I may suggest removing/readding account. if this has not helped then try using an alternate application like K-9 mail.
RC1024, the idea of a Factory Reset was explored and executed in July. It provided no resolution to this problem. I use K-9 mail and at this point have tried the default mail app as well as K-9 mail and the default mail app on my Wife's phone and receive the same error when trying to access the Sprint SMTP server. I agree with KHBAKER51 - this is a Sprint problem, and not a device issue. My Wife is actually scheduled to get a replacement device tomorrow, so I'll look forward to seeing if a third device actually makes a difference.
I actually had a short run at successfully using the Sprint SMTP server starting on 09/18/2011. Today, it has failed again, so I wanted to return and see if there was anybody you could contact internally about the stability of allowing access to the Sprint SMTP server from within the Sprint Network on a Sprint device.