cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating Samsung Note 9 on Sprint - Phone was on Verizon previously

Go to solution
Journeyman

Activating Samsung Note 9 on Sprint - Phone was on Verizon previously

I have a Verizon Note 9 that I am unable to activate with Sprint. I spoke to a rep yesterday and they told me to go to a store to do it. The rep at the store told me he cannot find the imei in the database to activate it and he cannot add my note 9 to the database also.

Can anyone help me? If this doesn't work out, I will be forced to leave Sprint.

18 REPLIES 18
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Activating Samsung Note 9 on Sprint - Phone was on Verizon previously

At this time, we're only accepting the Note 9 as a special edition purchased directly from Samsung.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

Why is it like that? This phone is actually the same as Note 9 for Sprint. I already installed the official firmware that Samsung sells for USA unlocked Note 9. If Sprint can't add this phone for me, unfortunately I will be forced to port this number out.

I understand that this is the phone you want to use. However, it isn't listed on our accepted phones for BYOD, other than the Special Edition. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

The real reason is that Samsung has not yet enabled brand switching (based on SIM switching) yet for Note 9.

Once Samsung does so, Sprint will immediately enable the IMEI's in the database.

That is the progression we have seen for first S8, the Note 8, and just recently S9.  Note 9 would be next.

Until then the phone would not work as it is locked to the branded carrier.

Sprint Community, thanks for all your work!  I would suggest you contact your Samsung product marketing manager to confirm the above to avoid giving the incorrect impression that Sprint is just needlessly sitting around doing nothing waiting to add the IMEI's,

GrandMaster

Bingo!

add on

most carriers do not just pull in any phone that is out there..they do have their limits on what they can accept in and what they can not. as does Sprint.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Specifically for dadmi4320 

Ensure that you have the latest updates on the phone.

This can be verified using Samsung Smart Switch connected to a PC which can apply updates on its own.

There are reports elsewhere that some branded S9's with the latest update applied ARE now being accepted by the Sprint checker.  It is possible that Verizon may not have released this update quote yet for its model.  If so, it may be coming this week according to some reports.

Also, check that the phone is unlocked.

Journeyman

I am on the same boat. Verizon Note 9 running latest unlocked firmware but does not work on Sprint. Now I have to either sell this phone or port out of Sprint. Being a $1000 phone its unfortunate that this information is not clear unless you insert a Sprint sim and find out that Note 9 does not have brand switching even after 5 months of its release. iPhone has a much better experience at carrier unlike Samsung's broken experience. Does anyone knows if there is any date when branch switching on Note 9 will be supported?

Tags (2)

Will you send me the IMEI of your phone in a private message?

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

@Megntron_Sprint IMEI sent in a PM.

Thanks 

Highlighted

Thanks for that. Let me take a look at what's going on.

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

Sent my Note 9 IMEI over PM
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat