cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating Samsung Note 9 on Sprint - Phone was on Verizon previously

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Activating Samsung Note 9 on Sprint - Phone was on Verizon previously

I am not speaking for Sprint in any way, but there are indications that Samsung is very near releasing BYOD brand switching for Note 9.

I expect to see this happen very soon.

Once they do, I am confident Sprint will update the DMD database immediately to allow activation of these phones.

But until Samsung does so, the phones of other carriers would not work even if they were allowed on.

This does not affect just Sprint.  It effects every carrier.  Right now, you cannot move a Sprint Note 9 to Verizon either, etc.   So it is a Samsung issue.

Journeyman

Sprint support was unable to help me, they said the same thing that the Note 9 should be either Sprint or special edition to work on Sprint. I reached out to Samsung and below is their response:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. 

I see that Note 9 is not accepted on Sprint Carrier. In this case, please contact the Verizon support as they have the available options to assist you. We could assist you if there were technical problems. 

You can contact Verizon Carrier support at: 1-800-922-0204; available Monday-Sunday: 6 am-11 pm CST. 

Basically it seems no one is working on any solution for this problem. Samsung is busy with upcoming S10 release. Whoever is reading this thread, think twice before you buy any new Samsung phone from these carriers as Samsung has still not got their brand switching story straight and you may end up in the same situation as this. Better buy the phone from Samsung directly or go for any other brand.

GrandMaster

odd...this is what happens when you get a hold of tier one Samsung support..they give you incorrect info.

this would be a TMO version of the Note9 attempting to be brought to V..same results as here..

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/964592

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

That reply is wrong too.

It is coming exactly at the time Samsung wants it to come at, which is x months after release if the phone.

For x months after release. you have to stay on the carrier you signed up with.   Then Samsung releases what i calls BYOD support.

See https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00078492/

re S8 in that case.

The same happened later for Note 8, then S9, next Note 9 soon.

GrandMaster

yup...only way to do it would be a fully unlocked SE or bide your time until they clear them to be added onto other carriers networks.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thanks for sharing the link. This information should be available to users when they buy the phone from carrier, Its a bad experience for users. I sold the Verizon phone for a little loss as I am afraid after reveal of S10 the prices will decline further. I am not going to buy any new phone from carrier going forward.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat