cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BYOD Note 8 supposed to be unlocked but isn't

Go to solution
Journeyman

BYOD Note 8 supposed to be unlocked but isn't

I brought my own unlocked device (Note 😎 to Sprint (last week) and unfortunately, I have had nothing but problems with connectivity and have spent hours with tech support to no avail, so I've decided I have to cancel my service and try someone else (in this case, AT&T). 

When AT&T attempted to activate my phone with their SIM card, my phone refused it saying that it was locked to Sprint. So, we contacted Sprint support by phone and we were told that the IMEI had been released and that the phone was unlocked to both domestic and international calls. So, we tried again. Phone still says it's locked - contact Sprint to unlock your phone. 

We try Sprint support chat - more run-around and no answers. Every person I talk to regurgitates the same meaningless, time-wasting drivel. I put the transcript below. PLEASE help if you can. I'm sorry I have to leave Sprint, but THIS is exactly why. I have lost a week of my life dealing with "tech support" and not having a working phone. And the end of this transcript is a perfect example of how much the agents I've been dealing with are paying attention. 

Amelia R. : Its fine, I have successfully accessed the account,.
Amelia R. : Thank you.
You : I talked to someone on the phone a little while ago and she informed me the IMEI has been unlocked but it still won't work. It still says to contact Sprint]
Amelia R. : I see and thank you for the added details. May I have the IMEI of the device please for me to verify?
You : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Amelia R. : Thank you. One moment please.
You : ok
Amelia R. : Thank you for waiting. I have careful reviewed the IMEI and checked it multiple times, I am glad to inform you that your device is already Unlocked International and Domestic. It means that you can already use the device to any carrier. Can you please check it at AT&T while you have me here on chat?
Amelia R. : You have my full assurance that the device is already Unlocked International and Domestic.
You : We tried to apply the new SIM and it pops up a message that sprint must be contacted. Under UICC Unlock it says "Your devide is locked to Sprint SIMS only"
You : I tried to Update profile and it says Attention please contact sprint to unlock your device
Amelia R. : Thank you for your patience, I will have the information shortly.
Amelia R. : Let me get a representative from our dedicated team who can help you further with your concern. You have my assurance that they are the best team who handle your request and provide the best options for you. I will also notate the account as reference on every detailed information that I provided you today for you not to repeat yourself to them. This is really helpful. Please don't close the chat until you see next representative enters the chat.
You : thank you. I really need thjs fixed soon. I have had nothing but frustration with Sprint since I signed up!
Sarah D. : Hi Karen. Glad to have you over the chat today.
Sarah D. : I understand that your requesting to unlock your devices.
You : Yes, I've been told it has been unlocked but it still will not allow the at&t SIM to take over and says the phone is still locked to sprint
Sarah D. : I would be glad to help you with checking the unlock status of your devices.
Sarah D. : Please provide your PIN or Security Answer so I can use it to access your account.
You : XXXXXXXX
Sarah D. : Thank you I have successfully access your account.
You : I am at the store using their computer and they have other customers, so I do not have much time
You : hello?
Sarah D. : I'm sorry for the long wait.
Sarah D. : Done checking the unlock status of the Note 8 its already unlocked domestic and internationally.
You : you keep telling me that but my phone says differently and won't let me switch servics
You : I do not have time to sit here waiting 5 minutes for every answer. This is not helpful
Sarah D. : Let me get the help of our Advanced Technical,Support Team to verify why still showing on your end that your devices is not yet successfully unlocked and unable to activate.
You : I have to leave. I have work. ask them to email me at fandamntastik@gmail.com
Sarah D. : Thank you and we will.
Sarah D. : Please send a message to verify that we are still connected.
Sarah D. : I know your time is valuable and I would like to assist you in resolving any questions you have. Would you like to continue chatting with me today?
Sarah D. : I haven't received a response from you so I will be disconnecting our chat. If you require additional assistance, please visit sprint.com. Thank you for your business. You will receive a transcript of our chat if we have an email address associated with this chat session.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: BYOD Note 8 supposed to be unlocked but isn't

Was your device an unlocked version from the manufacturer, or unlocked from another carrier?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

I'm not very tech savvy, so I am not entirely sure. I bought it from an Ebay seller and it just said it was unlocked. Here's the link to the product (he's sold hundreds of them): https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264306052375

I don't know if there might be anything in the item description that answers your question.

What is the SKU from the phone? If you can't find it, what is the serial number?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

I sent you a DM with a couple screenshots of info

As it stands, the phone was only on Sprint for 10 days. So, this means that it doesn't meet our 50+ day active requirement for unlock. Typically, if the phone was a true unlocked version from the manufacturer, we can override it. However, since it came from eBay, I'm not sure how to prove where it was originally purchased from.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

The 50+ day activation is a policy, not a maturation process. And since this was my phone to begin with, and it was unlocked when I brought it to Sprint, I don't believe Sprint has any right to commandeer my phone and I'm sure someone there can override a policy in order to avoid escalating this small problem into a legal matter. 

Highlighted

Hi Mama_K. I did some more research on the info you sent to us in PM. The phone has been on the network for over 50 days total, throughout it's life, so we are good to go from here. I'm going to send you a PM back to get a bit more info so we can assist further. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Stupid question.. how do I reply to your DM?? I don't see a reply option anywhere.

Not a stupid question! When you are on the Sprint Community page, you should see your name/icon in the top right. If you click on that or hover over it you should see a new menu pop up. If you select the envelope it will take you to your inbox where you can see my message. Then you can hit reply to send a response directly back to me. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat