Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

Journeyman

Re: Can't Receive Texts over Wifi S9

Thank you
GrandMaster

out of curiosity...are you able to put the phone into airplane mode..then turn wifi back on..and then CP back on while its still in airplane mode?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I'm able to do that at work, but I'll try it when I get home tonight.

GrandMaster

im actually wondering if the lack of signal or the bouncing back and forth between weak signal and no signal is boogering up the CP.

i was going to attempt this out at my place that is on the fringe of signal/roaming but i keep forgetting to try it and see how it works/doesnt work.

when you do this at work you are able to receive/send texts and calls still correct while in airplane mode with CP turned on?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

So I may have figured out what's wrong (but not how to actually fix it).

While our internet was down for a bit last night, I connected to my building's free wifi (don't normally connect to it since the signal is often weak) and I saw the Calling Plus icon in my toolbar. We have Xfinity wifi and was wondering if anyone knew of issues with them blocking wifi calling. 

GrandMaster

i have xfinity as well. no issues. i know with my home set up i have the option of 5 and i think its 2.5 to connect to. in your case it might be a firewall or something locking you out. the agent will need to walk you through what you would need to tell Comcast to clear or remove hopefully to get this back.

forgot if i asked or not..but did you set your location via the calling plus/wifi calling settings?

Community Manager

Usually, when the Calling Plus icon does not appear it could be due to a couple of things.  True, internet service providers do block VOIP services like Calling Plus especially if they have a similar product.  They do not like providing the backhaul for cell phone carriers.

The primary reason it does not appear is if it has a problem obtaining GPS. For 911 purposes, it has to be able to locate you and that's where the GPS comes into play.  The device gets location data from the phone, tower, wifi, etc.  If your home router has like a VPN or is locked down to not reveal IP data etc., coupled with your already weak Sprint service, it's unable to trust the location data and Calling Plus will not come out to play.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I finally got the Magic Box up and running, so now cell service in my apartment isn't an issue and I can see the CP icon in my phone's toolbar. 

Thank you all for your suggestions and help!

Shelly

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Glad to hear that it's working now, Shelly! Let us know if you have any other issues!

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat